Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 24, 2014, 03:54:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comet Sparky  (Read 1871 times)
Dan K.
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:42:53 AM »

Hi Guys,

Here are some pictures of my nearly completed Sparky that I was building for Geneseo this year. Hopefully, they will have this event again next year.

As a kid, I tried building this airplane a couple of times but was never able to complete it. As it sits right now, weight is 38 gm.

Dan
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Comet Sparky
Comet Sparky
Comet Sparky
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 07:46:10 AM »

HI Dan,

That is a great looking Sparky, I will never stop looking at Sparkys they look like they will fly and they do. one time they had a contest to see the number 0f ringmasters were made, it would be nice to know how the number of sparkys comet made?

Bob

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 127

Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »

Dan - just curious ... 25" ??

'Sparky' is 32" .. have you shrunk it down? Looks very nice, what have you covered it with?

Questions, questions.... Huh
thymekiller
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »

I've been thinking of trying a Comet Sparky and the colors on yours have clinched it for me. That is a great looking plane. The color scheme really shows off the planes lines. Great job. I've heard many great things about the sparky.

thymekiller

Dan K.
Bronze Member

Topic starter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 12:43:53 PM »

Hi Applehoney,

Oops!!! I screwed up. I got two models confused when typing in the heading and put down the Sparky being 25" and it should have been the Curtis Robin that is 25". When corrected by Danny, I attempted to go in and modify the heading; however, I could not modify it. So, it appears the heading will have to stay the same.

Carole

It is covered with Esaki tissue; then in Golden Ink and alcohol while shrinking followed by AeroGloss with Sig Thinner. The masking was done with Bond Paper and a special 3M glue stick. Marty Richey found this glue stick and has been using it with great success. I tried it for the first time and couldn't believe how well it worked. The mask stays in place, yet lifts off quite easily and leaves no residue. Even though it has a very, very tac, it seems to stay in place well.

The color scheme is not the usual lidgard blue and yellow, but I found the color scheme on one of the original Sparky kit boxes. The kit used is actually a Klarich kit that has all of the pre-cut parts. Hopefully I will get it finished before New Years. The plans with the kit do not show the sub-rudder; however I did get a copy of the sub-rudder platform from Lee Campbell. Landing gear, balsa wheels, and nose plug are complete. The almost impossible piece of covering in the rear of the cabin is actually a piece of yellow silk.

Dan
CometsGallor
Bronze Member

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:59:18 AM »

Fantastic looking Sparky -very nice and light too.

I just flew one I built yesterday for the first time. Once I ramped up the turns and made thrust adjustments it was getting maxes even though my plane is heavy. I was very happy considering it was the first stick and tissue plane I have made in about 45 years. I am going to build another and focus on getting the weight down. I designed my own prop so I may try some other configurations on that as well. Building this Sparky has been a tremendous learning exercise and the various forums have been an incredible help. The people in the local club have been beyond fantastic at offering help. What a great hobby and group of people associated with it.
Re: Comet Sparky
FLYACE1946
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:02:40 PM »

Great location behind you in the picture, Where is this?

Mighty fine results after all those years. Is the prop a folder?

Good job Grin Grin Grin Cool Cool Cool Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
CometsGallor
Bronze Member

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »

The site is Eloy Az and yes the prop is a folder. I also added DT capability to the plane to get out of some of the big thermals this time of year. DT worked great.
FLYACE1946
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »

That's correct. The DT is really not an option if you want to keep the model close. The DT helps most of the time but big boomer thermals can take away a kitchen sink if the conditions are right or wrong depending on your choices. Grin Grin Grin Grin
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 219

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 11:05:10 PM »

Dan, I agree, that's one fantastic looking Sparky. Comets Gallore, I think yours is great also. I thought I had a Sparky kit on the shelf. Hmmm, Guess when I build one, I'll use the plan I've got on disk.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
CometsGallor
Bronze Member

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:41:52 PM »

Dan, you really did a beautiful job on your Sparky and I was inspired by the low weight on yours so I just built a second one, and I was trying to work on getting the weight down. My new one is at 46.5 gms with landing gear and windscreen. Does yours have DT capability- that adds a bit of weight. I came up with a new lighter folding prop design compared my first one. I do not know how it will fly, but my first one flew very nice. I am also working on better streamlining with skinny wheels and a spinner.
dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 08:12:44 AM »

Dan, you really did a beautiful job on your Sparky and I was inspired by the low weight on yours so I just built a second one, and I was trying to work on getting the weight down. My new one is at 46.5 gms with landing gear and windscreen. Does yours have DT capability- that adds a bit of weight. I came up with a new lighter folding prop design compared my first one. I do not know how it will fly, but my first one flew very nice. I am also working on better streamlining with skinny wheels and a spinner.

Well done. I built a Comet Sparky in 1986 ... I forget if it was before or after I built the Comet Cloud Buster (I think it was after). Was my first successful rubber job (I built a Guillows Lancer which was somewhat successful, but the Sparky actually flew in circles ... the Lancer did not). I should probably build another.

How did you make the propellor assembly? It looks very nice.
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 07:45:31 PM »

How did you make the propellor assembly? It looks very nice.

Seconded. A Sparky is definitely on my future build short list. I've seen them done without a spinner and I strongly prefer the look with the spinner. I'd be very much interested in reading a 'How I did it.' thread here.
CometsGallor
Bronze Member

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »

Bargle, dosco,
The prop shown in the picture with the orange sparky, was my initial one for that model. But before I actually flew the model I felt that I needed a new prop that had more twist in the blades, so I carved a new forming block and made new blades, but I also made some design simplifications to the hub. When I made a new spinner I thought it looked better without and paint. When I tried the plane the first time I tried both props and the newest one produced much more thrust. I have not been able to get the model into trim yet. Hopefully in a couple weeks. The spinner I turned on my lathe. I have included a few pictures of a new front end for my first Sparky (the original broke). The spinner is turned from the hollow end first, and you create a recess to glue the bottom into. Once a close hollowing is done shape the outside of the spinner (do not worry about getting the very front just right yet) but do finish sand the majority of what you shape. Remove the spinner leaving enough material to complete the front. Next using any material, create a step that will snugly fit into the recess on the inside of the spinner. The step thing is called a "jam chuck" and you simply press the spinner onto the jam chuck (hold in place with tape if needed) then finish the very front of the spinner. Hope this helps.
CometsGallor
Bronze Member

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 11:59:24 PM »

The working part of the hub is shown in the attached pictures. The aluminum piece used on the blade is an insert used when making aluminum arrows. The blade angle is set in a jig and drilled for the pivot, then trimmed to the length required.
Bargle
Gold Member

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 07:13:07 AM »

Thanks, CometsGallor. What tool do you use for the inside shaping of the spinner?
CometsGallor
Bronze Member

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 01:30:15 PM »

Bargle,

I used a small gouge. The tool needs to be extra sharp to cut soft balsa. I shape the outside with a sharp skew. When you begin to hollow you should have the entire block of wood intact so that it has maximum strength.
Bargle
Gold Member

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »

Thanks, CG.
Crabby
Gold Member

Kudos: 41

I never met a modeler I didn't like

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »

Here's an old pic of the Sparky I built loong ago. I built like a pure novice, doing exactly what the plans said to do. I had no drama with the tissue behind the cabin, because I ran the grain diagonally like the plan said to do (maybe I just got lucky, but this seems to be a sticky situation for a lot of guys who built the Sparky) But guess what, the thing was almost too much plane for me. I had no idea the potential of this model and I chased it all over the county. It reminded me of my very first girlfriend! Very thrilling but a little high caliber for me.

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: