Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 28, 2014, 06:52:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comet 18" P-40  (Read 947 times)
PaulBrad
Silver Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

Topic starter
« on: March 29, 2010, 01:26:35 AM »

Inspired by other Comet models shown in this forum and my recent build of the 18" Comet P-51A I decided to give the 18" Comet P-40 a go. Like my P-51A effort, I could not leave well enough alone so I did a CAD drawing of the plan with a few "tweaks". My plan is for the most part a copy of the original Comet design. If anyone would like a copy of my version of the Comet P-40C plan you will find it on my web site at http://www.parmodel.com for free download.

The completed model is covered with ink jet printed tissue. Two coats of 50/50 clear dope have been applied to the tissue. Ready to fly weight less the rubber motor is 24 grams. I used domestic tissue so the weight is a bit higher than others have achieved with this model. The fuselage is covered in segments to accommodate the compound curves. Laying out the graphics so they would all line up when the segments were applied to the model was a bit of fun.

I have not yet flown the model under power. Hand glides with the prop removed and a bit of clay added look very promising. I am looking forward to a day with less wind so I can let her fly with under rubber power.

Paul Bradley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Comet 18" P-40
Comet 18" P-40
Comet 18" P-40
Comet 18" P-40
Comet 18" P-40
ironmike
Gold Member

Kudos: 31

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:44:06 AM »

Paul

Great rendering of one of my favorite birds.

Tell us about the fillets.

Hope to see this in Little Rock
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:24:14 AM »

Fantastic work! Love this plane.
PaulBrad
Silver Member

Topic starter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:11:03 PM »

Mike - I do plan to bring the model to Little Rock for SMALL. This year I want to get in on the Free Flight fun you and the other guys have been having in past years. The site is just to good not to fly Free Flight models.

The fillets on the P-40 were a bit of an experiment. The results are not at the level I wanted but I left them as is for now. They are just ink jet printed tissue. No backing material. I wanted the color of the fillets to be the same as the rest of the model. When you put tissue over a backing material it tends to stand out like a neon sign. I was hoping the tissue would shrink enough after installation to create a nice smooth fillet. That did not happen. You lose some of the shrink when doing ink jet printing. Much like pre-shrinking the tissue. That combined with the curvature of the fillets resulted in a surface that is not really acceptable. Perhaps OK for this smaller model but not for something larger. Next time around I would like to try to make the fillet backing from light silkspan. Shrink the silkspan and then apply the tissue. Hopefully that will provide a smooth fillet and will also avoid the problem of the backing making the tissue on the fillet stand out too much.

Mooney - Thanks for your kind words.

Paul Bradley
gravitywell
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 02:59:58 PM »

Hi Paul. Wonderful design and a very nice looking model. I went to your site and downloaded the plan and am very happy to have it. One thing, the tissue shown is for your P-51 not the P-40. I intend on doing mine in a different finish so its ok for me. Just wanted to let you know. And thank you for the wonderful site that you guys have.

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 49

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »

Looks awesome, great job. Mine flew real nice, sure yours will too.
PaulBrad
Silver Member

Topic starter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 12:03:20 AM »

gravitywell - Thanks for the heads up regarding the improper link for the P-40 covering layouts. I should not do things like web page updates late at night.

sgis30 - You model was my inspiration for also doing the Comet P-40. I hope mine flies as well as yours.

Paul Bradley
albackstrom
OOS, August 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 10:55:51 AM »

I hope to do the Comet P-40 in Flying Tigers Colors but do doubt that I will get it done, too many other problems right now. I will just to hope I can. Like Ironmike it is one of my favorite WW II fighters, Mike must have awakened as when we last discussed he liked the later models of P-40s better, maybe its older and wiser.

Al Backstrom USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
p40qmilj
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 05:50:52 AM »

Grin Good work Paul

Will be downloading yer Cad to see the changes

JIM Roll Eyes
PaulBrad
Silver Member

Topic starter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 01:08:30 AM »

I finally had an opportunity to fly the Comet P-40 where I did not have to limit the power. I attended the annual Small Model Aircraft Lovers League (SMALL) gathering in the Little Rock, Arkansas area this past weekend. That event is blessed with a wonderful site that is great for Free Flights. The P-40 was a blast to fly under full power (a single loop of 3/16" Tan Super Sport). One of the other modelers in attendance got some nice in-flight shots of the model. I am still fine tuning the trim but this model like so many in the Comet line up is a nice flyer.

Paul Bradley
Re: Comet 18" P-40
p40qmilj
Gold Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 05:43:46 PM »

Grin

Is that u launching the model, Paul?

JIM
Waifish
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 07:27:54 PM »

That picture of you letting her go, is priceless. BEAUTIFUL
PaulBrad
Silver Member

Topic starter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 12:13:15 AM »

Jim - That is indeed yours truly launching the P-40. Over the years I have been presented with several pictures of me launching a model. I seem to have this thing I do with my mouth. It is totally involuntary. Weird I would say.

Waifish - My friend Carl Hock did a great job on the photos. I was not even aware he was taking any photos until they arrived via trusty electronic mail.

Paul Bradley
rgroener
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Switzerland Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 02:45:21 AM »

Hi Paul

What a great plane and very good inflight pictures! Seems to be a good flyer. Have fun with it!

Best regards Roman
marcelop
Platinum Member

Kudos: 164

Uruguay Uruguay

"the essential is invisible to the eye", A.Exuperi

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 08:37:30 AM »

Wink hi paul, do you have a copy in pdf or jpg of the patterns for print the P-40 camo?
i am start with the p-40 from P. Brunning plan (peanut) and i like print this camo for cover my p40.

great model in fly!, i love comet kits, your p40 looks wonderful!!! Cheesy

marcelo

keep your younger spirit in fly
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 102

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 08:53:51 AM »

Marcelo,

I just sent you (emailed) the file for the printed tissue. The files are available from Paul's site as Tissue layouts, and are the LAST file on each model listing.

http://www.parmodels.com/Plans/Comet_Stick_Models.htm

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

http://www.smallflyingartsforum.com/
marcelop
Platinum Member

Uruguay Uruguay

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 07:41:15 PM »

Smiley
thanks pit!!!! file is downloaded now !!!

Paul, have pic and explanation for the 3 blade prop? and the spinner? is balsa hollowout?

thanks
marcelo

PaulBrad
Silver Member

Topic starter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 11:48:58 PM »

Thanks Pit for pointing marcelop to the web site.

marcelop - There is a sketch in the plan package for the Comet P-40 showing how I make the spinner. It is made from a stack of 1/8" balsa disks that get turned to the spinner profile using an electric drill. I did not show how I made the three bladed prop. I don't know why I failed to do that. It is easy to do and I will post some illustrations showing my process. I am sure it is not unique. The prop works quite well and does give the model a nice scale look.

Paul Bradley
p40qmilj
Gold Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 05:46:11 AM »

Cheesy Paul

What do u think about blowing up the P40 to 24 inch span?

I blew up the Guillows 16 incher to 20 and it works Great
marcelop
Platinum Member

Uruguay Uruguay

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 05:56:58 AM »

thanks Paul, very clean plans.
i downloaded too!!! Cheesy
i search in my home, i know i have the comet plan for th Me-109 "E" in the box i remember read "superXpeed construction" i remember first need to made an paper tube and the fuse bulkheads is inserted in there, i search and try to scan for u performed this plan.
i u interesting mail me at marcelopricoli@gmail(point)com
regards

p40qmilj
Gold Member

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 03:47:14 PM »

Grin Marcel The Me 109E 18inch w/s is waaaaayyy outta scale. If yer gonna CAD it, You need to either adjust the length to fit the wings or blow wings up to 20inch to keep scale fidelity.

Ps I have not built this model yet

JIM Roll Eyes
PaulBrad
Silver Member

Topic starter
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 12:32:03 AM »

Jim - I think a scaled up Comet P-40 would produce a very nice model. One change I would make would be to add a bit of incidence to the wing. I am discovering that the original plans do not seem to haven much if any angular difference between the stab and the wing. All of the Comet models I have built to date have needed a small amount of wing incidence to fly well. I need to update both the P-51 and P-40 plan to drop the wing trailing edge by about 1/16". That was done on the Stinson and it responded well. The P-51 received a new wing before the reported flying session and that wing was mounted with the added incidence. The model went from touchy to a really nice flyer. The P-40 is showing a need for a similar adjustment.

marcelop - I do have a scanned copy of the Comet Me-109 kit plan. I have not spent much time reviewing it so I was not aware of the scale issues reported by Jim (p40qmilj). If I do ever work on that plan I will be sure to heed Jim's advise.

Paul Bradley
marcelop
Platinum Member

Uruguay Uruguay

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 05:21:48 AM »

Smiley Cheesy Grin
hi.
ohh... i building the p-40 from P. Brunning plan (peanut) (i am scale the print patterns for the tissue downloaded for use to cover it!! and iam showing the technique for printing too!). i thinking recover the 109 plan, for no lost, i don't know the series kit, but the date in plan is 1972 by comet. the most different i see with the "regular" comet series kits is the construction of wings(geodesic position of ribs) and the fuse (bulkheads inserted in a paper tube) may be i made a new topic and put his plan free download if i can recover(is very old and damaged plan).
THANKS for all help and for the p-40 camo for print, is amazing and un-weigthed for cover models..
your p-40 plan version is printed , and my students is watching it very interesting in it.
regards.
marcelo

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 102

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 06:29:41 AM »

Those geodetic "Super Star" kits were/are EXTREMELY overbuilt (especially if using the kit wood)! About 80% of the formers can (must) be hogged out, and the plastic parts replaced. I've built the Spitfire and the Sopwith Camel.

The Spit was built (in 1975) with the stock wood with just enough removal of excess wood for the rubber and cored wing ribs. Spitty glided really well but was impossible to trim for power (NOT enough washout/right thrust) and was destroyed in a move :'(. Warping in washout after covering was impossible and the plane looked kinda funky with that wing construction.

The "Camel" is in the "bones" and weighs 113 grams with all plastic parts minus the guns (wingspan 32"). Considerable lightening was done in the fuse - about 15 grams - and the wing can be skinnyed up a bit.

The 27" DR-1 is waiting on the sidelines.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

http://www.smallflyingartsforum.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: