Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 20, 2019, 01:24:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Nieuport Beech  (Read 793 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »

Hi All,

After I finish the Herr Ryan, (See the FF Scale build thread if interested.) I quite fancy the Mooney "Neiuport Beech" bostonian next as a bit of fun. Does anyone have any experience of this unspeakably cute model?

Cheers, Dan.
wordguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »

YES!  I built at least two.  NOT a world beater, but 'way, 'way cool in the air.

Kicked around for years the idea of building a just-for-fun illegal bossie with upper and lower wings of equal chord.

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

— T. Baron Russell, 'A hundred Years Hence,' 1905
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 91

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:59:17 PM »

Always thought it was cute, but both wings ought to be of the same chord, otherwise there's no point if you want something that can really fly...
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:50:13 AM »

I have to agree with 'wordguy' and 'Maxout'.
I built one about 26 years ago and remember have trouble 'tweaking' the flying trim.
I couldn't spend a lot of time with the Model because I was preparing for a move to Florida.
If you don't want to compete with it, by all means, build it and have fun.
Dave Andreski

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »

Thanks all! I had also considered equal chord upper and lower wings. It will be strictly a fun flyer, so every square inch helps! The Ryan is about 70% covered, so I should get round to this one soon. Unless my feeble attention span causes me to fix on something else out of the blue....

Cheers, Dan.
IndoorFlyer

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »

...attention span causes me to fix on something else out of the blue....

Cheers, Dan.

The "negative stagger" theme is an appealing feature of the Mooney design; don't forget about Clive Wienker's "Staggerwink"  available on the HPA Plans gallery.

It is a true biplane, not a sesquiplane and it flies like crazy...
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »

My last R/C build was the Clancy "Stagger Bee". (Still unflown after 2 years or so, due to F/F fixation...) I do have a bit of a thing about the negative stagger! Got the FSI plan of the Beech which I intend doing as the fixed and spatted early versions if I ever get round to it. The Staggerwink was one of the first plans I found and eagerly downloaded after becoming a member here...

Cheers, Dan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: