Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2018, 11:10:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fresno Model Aeroplane Co.?  (Read 1232 times)
hueydriver
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:25:47 AM »

Whatever happened to the kits from the subject company. I have a Jr Buc (24"w/s) that I'm fixin' to build shortly.... did someone else pick up their line of kits?
albackstrom
OOS, August 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 12:27:55 PM »

Huey several of these kits are now marketed by FAI model supply. Unfortunately they do not do the 32' rubber powered Zipper. Oh well I probably couldn't build it today.

Al Backstrom USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »

Well, I have a Miss Worlds Fair kitted by them and the wingspan is 32 inches. I have the parts cut out and just haven't had time to assemble it yet. I will someday as I know it should look very nice . I really like the smaller size since the bigger version is just too big for Flying Aces Contest event's.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 242

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »

Al...... how much rubber do you put into a 32' rubber model .. and how do you wind it?

Inquiring minds want to know ....

Grin
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:34:24 PM »

I haven't built it yet but a starting point for flying will be to use the same size motor as a Korda Victory. Stretch it out and wind it up but have some idea of what max winds of the motor should be maybe at least 800 winds. Oh yes don't forget to use a blast tube and a Crocket hook.Build in a dt of your choice. Scientific sold both the Korda Victory and the Miss Worlds Fair in the two sizes. All Scientific models were go-getters if you want something impressive.
packardpursuit
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 08:39:23 AM »

Wow! the interesting things I'm finding while delving into area's I don't usually check!

I used to fly with Russel (sorry i can't think of his last name at the moment). He used to come down from Fresno to our local monthly contest in Visalia. Over the years, I bought several items from Fresno Model Supply, either at the field or from out of Russell's garage.

I lost contact with the FF group in Visalia, but had heard that Russ had passed away. I oft wondered what became of his business. Later, a fellow worker, whom I knew to be an active control line modeler, told me he had purchased Fresno Model Supply, and began making CL kits, after having sold off all FF interests. I believe my friend still has the machinery.

I felt very fortunate to fly with a number of fairly well known modelers in the Visalia area. Mel Shmidtt (Shoccer), and Russl from Fresno. Locals included Del Adam, C.O. Wright. Others too, but again I can see faces but not names...For years, there was a loyal cadre of 5-8 guys flying in huge alfalfa fields, every month. Perfect flying sites and great guys willing to help.
Steve J.
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 12:30:04 AM »

Russ James and Del have passed away. Just recently we lost C.O. Wright, but our Fresno Club is still active.  http://fgmac.tumblr.com/
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 01:25:53 AM »

Steve, My parents live right north of Fresno off of Highway 41. Do you guys have a flying field close to Fresno?

Derek
Hoover High 85

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
Steve J.
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:10:37 AM »

PM'ed

Steve, My parents live right north of Fresno off of Highway 41. Do you guys have a flying field close to Fresno?

Derek
Hoover High 85
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: