Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 18, 2017, 05:18:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Waterplanes  (Read 2543 times)
mikewight
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:23:41 PM »

Having posted a GB2 plan in responses to an old request (see GB2 under Plans), there was a larger response than I expected, so I suggested to "The Management" that a Waterplane forum might be justified. Being on the ball, the response was instantaneous, so we now have a Waterplane  section. The rest is now up to us guys. Besides the GB2 plan, I have also uploaded a Skyleada Amphibian  and will be following up with several other old (1940's), UK vintage flying boat plans, rubber & infernal combustion powered. Is there anybody else out there with an affinity for paddling around in duckponds or wherever, that can add to the Waterplane plans collection? Also, is anybody aware of any website elsewhere dealing exclusively with Model Waterplanes ?
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 81

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »

Can't help with any websites but I uploaded the 'Hobbies Floatplane' in the 'Outdoor Rubber Powered Sport' section about a year ago. The plan was shared by Garry Hunter,  'The Plan Page' man on a temporary site several years ago.
Here's a couple of pics. NONE are mine.
Dave Andreski
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Waterplanes

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
mikewight
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 02:26:45 AM »

We meet again Dave! I had noticed the plan whilst browsing the library just after I joined up.  It registered with me, as I was teaching Aeromodelling at a local High school several years ago and  used the model as a building project for one of the students. When it was finished, he was so proud of his handiwork that he wouldn't fly it in case if got damaged! I have a photo of it floating on the school lake, but am unable to locate it for the moment. It is a very rare plan, yours is the only other one that I have heard of, other than mine. It looks very impressive in the photo, I hope that it flew as well as it looks.
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 03:04:28 AM »

Been following the seaplane/GB2 discussion with interest and might even be tempted by a GB2 Mike  Shocked

I'm busy wrapping up other stuff at the moment and there is only the one event for seaplanes that I can get to easily, so it would be a labour of love . . . .but then aren't they all?

Cheers
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
BEAR
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »

Been following the seaplane/GB2 discussion with interest and might even be tempted by a GB2 Mike  Shocked

I'm busy wrapping up other stuff at the moment and there is only the one event for seaplanes that I can get to easily, so it would be a labour of love . . . .but then aren't they all?

Cheers
Paul
Flying Aces at Peterborough 1st week end in September we always have ROW comp  Cool

If you cant take a joke dont do free flight.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 81

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »

We meet again Dave! I had noticed the plan whilst browsing the library just after I joined up.  It registered with me, as I was teaching Aeromodelling at a local High school several years ago and  used the model as a building project for one of the students. When it was finished, he was so proud of his handiwork that he wouldn't fly it in case if got damaged! I have a photo of it floating on the school lake, but am unable to locate it for the moment. It is a very rare plan, yours is the only other one that I have heard of, other than mine. It looks very impressive in the photo, I hope that it flew as well as it looks.

mikewight,
I need to repeat that NONE of the Models pictured in reply #2 are mine.
Dave Andreski

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
mikewight
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »

Dave.
Point taken. Clearly I need to edit my replies more closely in future. It is still a rare model nevertheless, and I am glad that you bothered to post the plan & the photos for us all to enjoy.

Paul. I could say give it a go if it takes your fancy. However I still consider it a pretty formidable project overall if you study the plan, together with your admitted problem about where to float/fly it.  Perhaps you should get together with Bear, then you would have two events in which to participate. It certainly would be a labour of love, but as you say, aren't they all. I have a 1/4 scale Kirby Kite which I slope soar once a year, same problem, but she's a beautiful bird nevertheless. I liken Aeromodelling to visiting a sweet shop as a kid. There are rows of lolly jars, which one to choose. You take the one that looks good, and hope that it taste as good as it looks!

charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »

I'll pass on thaty GB2, however I want to know more about the rubber powered Schnieder racers! Did they fly with little or no dihedral? Loved the S-6 but my fave is M-39 (plus i have good documentation!).

Where i now live there are several water venues suitable for ROW. Precious little else for land planes. Biggest field I can get access to has hwy at one side and the Pacific  Ocean on the other.
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 63

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 11:29:53 PM »

Just a thought but perhaps a schneider trophy cookup might be the way to go to get some seaplanes built??
Also if anyone is interested I have a large number of schneider rubber plans available on my website: http://web.me.com/tectonite/Plans_Page/CMAC_Plans_for_Sale.html

Bernard

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
mikewight
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 03:31:16 AM »

Charlieman.
As far as I can recall, they were all built with scale dihedral, my S6 was flat. The floats gave pendulum stability because of the weight, which must have overcome the destabilizing effect due to their lateral area below the CG in a sideslip.
I cannot recall any that failed to fly, although durations were all pretty short for the rubber powered ones, mostly less than a minute. The real kick was in actually getting the little blighters to fly at all, they are not ideal model subjects. I guess that was the challenge & attraction.

Bernard.
If you followed my post in GB2, you will see that it was my initial flights with the S6b that got the ball rolling out here in Oz. However, there is a lot of difference between a bunch of guys getting together locally and enjoying the camaderie of pursuing a common aim in a group, and similar like minded individuals spread all over the planet in isolation, so I am not sure that the Schneider route would work in this case. As individuals, our choice of a model may be quite different to that we might make if were were part of a group, going to eventually fly together. Thoughts, anybody please.
I see the forum as a centre where World Wide Water Plane Enthusiasts can chew the cud, swap information & experiences and out of that comes whatever. Following up your idea of a "cookup", in a different direction, I have part of  a plan (and article), for a simple? rubber powered twin amphibian (looks suspiciously like a certain Sikorsky), published in the Sept 35 issue of MAN. It was designed by Gordon Light & Alan Booton and looks to have potential. If anybody has the complete article & plan and could post it in the plans library, we could all have a look at it and say what we think. It is rather like a simpler way of going down the GB2 path.  If it proves to have appeal, then those that want to, could  build one, exchange experiences & tips, and for those of a competitive bent they could have a WebComp, having say, a timed take off, and the traditional max duration. Maybe somebody has knowledge of a better model?
mikewight
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 07:50:05 PM »

For those interested in putting their models on floats, I have posted a set of conversion instructions by David Boddington in the Articles section of the plans library.
Catalina
Nickel Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 08:16:13 AM »

Hi all, I'm a newby and have a love of plans among which are quite a few Float/Seaplane/Amphibians, collected from all over the place - some from Hippocket.
In case I have blundered into the wrong section are we seeking plans only for FF Rubber or are other power systems allowable... also are there any pre/post date restrictions?

I am still sorting my plans into some order but as soon as that task is completed I will be more than happy to pass on all I have. I fell in love with a Catalina when I was 8 years old and have been a sucker for birds on water ever since. Cheers
mikewight
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 05:30:57 AM »

Hi Catalina, welcome to the Wet Wellie Club! Since I joined Hip Pocket, I have been uploading Waterplane model plans of all types to the gallery, rubber, power, vintage, even glider, so jump in & get your feet wet. The more seaplane plans in the gallery, the greater choice there is & the chance to find a plan that appeals.
Catalina
Nickel Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 07:56:23 PM »

Thanks Mike for the welcome, now I just have to work out how to upload and convert my pdfs to jpgs and I can start. by the way is there an auto culling if I send a plan already in the Gallery... don't want to clutter up with excess of the same plan? Cheers
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Canada Canada

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 08:01:08 PM »

Thanks Mike for the welcome, now I just have to work out how to upload and convert my pdfs to jpgs and I can start. by the way is there an auto culling if I send a plan already in the Gallery... don't want to clutter up with excess of the same plan? Cheers

Don't convert your PDFs to JPGs, upload the PDFs.

No auto culling. A search before you upload a plan to make sure you aren't wasting your time is a wise choice. Duplicates happen but it's nice to avoid them.

Ratz

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Cornel

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 05:38:00 AM »

You can use a small free program called 123 PDF to Image - free PDF to image converter I am not sure if kinking is allowed , so here is the adress http://www.freepdftoimage.com/ .Hope this helps.
Gruntfuttock
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:35 AM »

Good morning/afternoon/evening according to your time zone.

I've attached a shot of the current incarnation of an electric powered Beriev Be 4. The first version was closer to scale but  a terminal spin on it's first power flight tore the wing pylon out of the fuselage when it hit the ground. I decided that it was over-powered, wing loading was too high and it didn't have enough dihedral, so I built new outer-wing panels, repaired the fuselage and covered it in solarfilm instead of tissue. Test flights are waiting for anything like decent weather. I never intended it to go anywhere near water so it doesn't have wing struts or floats.

It was scratch built from a fuzzy three-view I found so there are no plans as such. If it flies, and if anyone is interested, I'll try to make sense of the various pieces of paper that were the starting point.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 10:18:28 PM »

Many years ago, probably in the late 50's, there was an article in Model Airplane News on converting a gas Free Flight (Always Capitalize) to ROW.  As I recall, there was an extensive discussion on float design, mounting, and calculating the proper size floats for the weight of the airplane.

If anyone in Hip Pocket Land has that article, and could send me a copy, I would be glad to pay for all costs.

If it is stored in some sort of on line source, that would be fine too.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 09:31:14 PM »

I have an article titled "ROW Free Flight" by Harry W Murphy published 1977 in Model Airplane News.  It is quite complete for gas models but I am interested in rubber models so there you are.  Regards your interest at all costs.  I am all ears!  There is a somewhat interesting article "Rise-Off Water Secrets," American Modeler, July 1958 that details float design and construction circa 1958.  So today it seems the floats should be made of foam.  Any thought?
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »

I would like a copy of that article.  Please send me an email at flydean at att dot net.

Thanks
Dave
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 10:13:11 AM »

I will send a copy to flydean@att.net  Let me know if you get it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: