Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2018, 04:22:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comet Struct-O-Speed 10" Kit  (Read 2376 times)
reblacklaf
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »

I just finished a Comet SOS 10" Stinson Voyger 150. I will post pics later. I am determined to get this thing to fly. Roland post pics in Micro RC World about the first half of the build. These kits were more for imagination than actual flight ability. After all their glide rate was near 1-1. As a kid 1 summer I used my money from mowing lawns to purchase every kit in the series twice. Not one flew but they had marvelous Viking Funerals or the ever popular: 'If it explodes before it hits the ground you give me 10 cents'. Of course they were loaded with a black cat. Ever try holding the prop and fuselage after winding while your best friend tried to light the fuse without setting fire to anything.

Randy
reblacklaf
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:57:05 PM »

OK, couldn't get the pics to load so I will give links to other sites. You will have to join the groups to see the albums.

This shows the finished but not trimmed plane.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cometmodelairplaneproject/photos/album/62790500/pic/list

The following shows the process of the build.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ffcookup/photos/album/1370054557/pic/list

Randy
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 125

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:40:09 AM »

I must have built every one of that series, but my recollections of the "flight" profile are a bit different!  They must have had a glide slope of nearer 0.5:1 Roll Eyes!  Once the perpeller stopped twisting (those abominations actually worked...sorta), the models always seemed to start to fly backwards.  Took me a while (plus a"hint" from my Dad) that the rubber was "rewinding" toward the end (no freewheel).

Really liked them, tho.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 07:29:14 PM »

My Comet Struct-O-Speed is the Piper Cub Super Cruiser and has a wingspan over 12 inches. My one missing part is the plastic nose. I will build mine using a block of balsa wood if someone can give me the length. I can determine the other dimensions from using the former for the very first part. I have to make two matching wheels but I do have the prebent landing gear. Wife was looking around an antique store over 15 years ago....don't ask.
pd1
Bronze Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »

The plans for the Comet Struct-O-Speed Super Cub are here in the plans gallery.
 Included are the parts tracings.
Look in the kid friendly section.
deniscullinan
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 11:22:55 PM »

I'm hanging on to a Comet struct-o-speed Aeronca Sedan in an unopened box. You can get a look at it at the Old Model Kits site at http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=3700&manu=Comet&erl=Comet-Aeronca-Sedan-Struct-O-Speed-2301   The model has a 13.25 inch wing span. If I'm not mistaken, the cover art may date back to the fifties, since I remember owning some kit or other with a box illustration that was the dead spit of this Comet one.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Comet Struct-O-Speed 10" Kit
RandyW
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:52:48 PM »

I have fond memories of the 8" Struct-o-speed Fokker D-VIII I built as a kid.  With a cut-down Guillows prop, and newspaper rubber bands,it would fly the entire length of our driveway then make a right turn and land on the sidewalk.  The fact the driveway was a steep down hill grade to the street no doubt factored in to this amazing performance! I would love to run across a set of patterns and build another, just to see if my skill level has improved over the years!
Randy
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 12:26:28 AM »

RandyW,
    PM me with your email and I'll forward you a copy of the plans & parts.
I also provide a laser cut version.

Skyraider
j.vansickle64
Nickel Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 12:12:00 AM »

I used to have the Fokker DVIII and the Curiss Robin. If anyone has the plans, please let me know. I'd love to build them again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: