Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 19, 2018, 01:14:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bill Brown's Spirit at USIC  (Read 2549 times)
Glidiator
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

India India

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 05:57:49 AM »

Hi

Looking far the Yvette and Yvettelet plans.

The links given in earlier post of smallflying arts dont seem to work.

Anywhere else I can find it

Anant
Glidiator
Silver Member

India India

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 06:33:51 AM »

Hi,

Got the plans from plan gallery.

How does one make it  turn in a circle indoors. Seems to have no wing offset or fin etc to give turning moment.

Anant
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »

You can make the regular Yvette turn with a prop hanger adjustment. The only problem with this is that when the power runs out it will descend (the term "glide" doesn't quite fit) in a straight line. Might be better to try a small drag panel on the back end of one tip plate.

There is no plan for Yvettelet. She's the same size as Yvette, but built to indoor structure practices. The wings have sliced ribs and are single covered with Ultrafilm. I couldn't duplicate the nice curvy tip plates at this weight, so I made up a parallelogram panel of about the same area with 1/16 square balsa, and a triangular one under the wing, also covered with Ultrafilm. These were made to match the original areas as best I could.

Bill designed a rather large sheet balsa gusset between the motor stick and the cabane strut. I figured there must be some kind of aerodynamic function to it, so I added a 1/16 sq diagonal there and a scrap of Ultrafilm to duplicate the area. The 1/16 sq rear spar didn't hold up well in service, and was reinforced with a light balsa aft cabane parallel to the front one. This controlled the washin/washout.

I'd like to have added a close-up pic of Yvettelet, but I could only reduce the 2.8mb photo to 463kb and the system rejected it.

a.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 07:22:55 PM »

I built a modified version of the Yvette with a group of kids and after reading the comments of others. It takes a lot of weight to balance it properly, so I lengthened the motor stick to 10 3/4", shortened the nose and it still required a bit of weight on the tail to balance properly. pic attached, can't attach the pdf. pm me if you want it.
Flight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hobl6cVZOD8
ian
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Bill Brown's Spirit at USIC
Glidiator
Silver Member

India India

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 11:23:57 PM »

Thanks for the tips Art
When you say prop hanger adjustment you mean give the prop a few degrees side thrust by cracking the nose.
PB --That was a nice circle just the right Dia for an indoor venue. How much angle did you give the prop hanger.
Anant
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 12:28:34 AM »

That circle was just from the normal prop setup. You can tighten up the circle with a bit of masking tape on the outboard lower wing.
ian
FFScott
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 08:04:14 AM »

Anyone know where I can find the plans to the Holly P?  It looks like something our Junior High kids could  build.

Thanks,
Scott
FFScott
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 08:10:59 AM »

Clarification: I'm looking for the plans of the Green and Black airplane pictured in the first posting.
Glidiator
Silver Member

India India

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 08:44:48 AM »

Finished my Yvette in a late night building frezy.
Quite happy with the finished product. Covered the wings with lightest grocery bag plastic about 15 microns (actually banned but shops still use it!!)
Used IKARA prop, nose ring and tail hook.
Extended the motor stick to 10.75 inches as done by PB guy. Mine was tail heavy so added some clay to nose. Maybe shorten the extended tail and remove clay. But longer MS gives a longer rubber -- more duration??.
Made a 3/32 half motor for first test flights.
Seems to need a high rpm to get good lift. Short test flights in drawing room show it turning to left and gaining height without any adjustments.
May be reduce the bank a bit-- a bit of counter weight will do??

Will do some full power test flights in larger indoor space.
Hope to trim it well enough to get some decent flights.
This will be a good demo model for the workshops I conduct for kids. Will show them that you can have a flying machine without the traditional wing-stab-fin configuration.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: