Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 18, 2018, 07:00:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric Trainer  (Read 1056 times)
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:33:39 AM »

Hi all,
I normally fly freeflight but have been flying cl on and off since the early seventies and learnt to fly on a Aeroflite Couger powered by a 1.5cc Enya.
High winds over the last few months made me think an electric powered trainer with a RC throttle may be the go as I could it fly by myself down the local oval.
I used a wing from a Tarmac trainer shortened it a little and made up a box fuselage to hold the electronics as I really think they take no more time to build than a profile fuselage.Tdon`t like switches so the battery connectors hang out the side for easy access.
The glarey covering is giftwrap paper applied with thinned PVA-I had a choice of Xmas stuff or this.
Power is a $16 2208-8 2600Kv brushless motor with a 6x5E prop which gives 650gm thrust or a APC 7x3 prop which gives up to 780g thrust but a shorter run, a 25amp Turnigy ESC and a 460mah 11.1v 40c Nanocell battery, it uses a $29 Hobby King 2.4Ghz radio for throttle, total weight is 13.5 oz,I clip the radio to a waistband for safety.
The very first version was powered by a 1100Kv motor and a 8x3.8E prop giving 400g thrust and would do around 20 laps on 52 FT lines,it didn`t have enougth power for loops so I went for more power and enlarged the cockpit to take a 1100mah battery which adds another oz,I have not flown it with the added power yet.
Having the RC throttle is great for flying alone, I set it up, open the throttle for takeoff and if the local kids approach the flying circle I can reduce power and land if needed.

Regards

Phil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Electric Trainer
Electric Trainer
Electric Trainer
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »

Phil,

The local kids are not going to have any excuse for not seeing it! It sure stands out. Shocked

Looks like fun. Keep us posted on developments.

Greg

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:44:31 AM »

Hi Greg,
the dots on the outboard wing are velcro to fix on a camera,the clip runs fine on my computer but when it uploads to U tube the video stops and has sound or vice versa.
Yep I caught a few kids first time out and they thought it was very cool and asked lots of questions -nothing much wrong with modern kids I feel just lack of opportunities.
Flying in my shire is tut tut at the moment-because a far off shire-sorry local government having a problem working out its policy it seems one out all out until they make up their minds.I suppose they prefer the kids out tagging and stealing cars to making model planes

Phil
jardah62
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »

Hi Phil,
same control system (RC control of power) for electric powered CL models I use for virgin flight of new model until it is well balanced and its behavior in the air is follow my expectations. After that I change RC receiver by electronic timer, which give me after switching on the time to go to the handle and after that switch on the power for previous set time. Little bit more about this timer you can find in enclosed files. With this timer is flight more "CL", you don´t need additional RC.
In case of your interest, I can send you full *.doc file with timer user manual.

Jaromir
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Electric Trainer
Re: Electric Trainer
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 03:11:51 AM »

Hi  Jaromir,
 neat timer I like the delayed start function- just right for solo flying.The idea of setting up electric models on R/C and then changing to timers is being used by a few free flight modellers as well to get them through the first flights safely-saves those scarey moments.Do you have to build the timer is does it come ready to use?

Cheers

Phil
jardah62
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »

Hi Phil,
the timer about i speak is developed for C/L model application. Software inside of chip after battery connection start starting sequence, where is in ESC set 0% and 100% of power (first 10sec) and then wait 20 or 40 seconds to give time for pilot to go to the handle. Then is motor ramp-up, adjustable flying time and ramp-down and then timer unlimited wait for battery disconnection. This is let say "flying sequence". To this main function is added programmability to change delay before start (20 or 40 sec), adjusting of flying time, adjusting of constant flying power (30-100%) and the way of flight end - ramp-down or 5sec full power and switch to 0%.
Output from timer has same signal shape, like signal from receiver and is connected to the "servo" wire from ESC. It means this timer is changeable with R/C receiver and back without problems (personally tested lot of times). As I wrote, the virgin flight of new C/L model I do with R/C and after 2 or 3 flights I change R/C by timer.
My colleague, which program this chips has special version for free flight application too. The "hardware" (PCB, chip) stay same, software is modified follow FF modeler´s request. 
Snow Owl
Bronze Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:37:23 AM »

Sandgroper,

Can you give more information about your trainer, like wingspan, overall weight, what length flying lines?

Thanks!
jardah62
Copper Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 02:27:50 AM »

Sandgroper,

Can you give more information about your trainer, like wingspan, overall weight, what length flying lines?

Thanks!

Yes, I do.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=4108
As I wrote in the plan, I can send by e-mail a translation of Czech descriptions.

Very good motor (tested on some models) is Turnigy 2836/1200KV, propeller APC-E style 9x6 (honey color - www.hobbyking too). Weight is around 850-900 grams (30-32 oz).
The control line length is 17m (55 feet). I use Spiderwire line 0,25 mm (high strength lines used by fishers). Most problematic at this non steel line is a thimble, which decrease its strength and free end of line can not creep . I have tested thimble done follow  http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soubor:Dvojit%C3%BD_osmi%C4%8Dkov%C3%BD_uzel.jpg 
and next I fix it using http://www.google.cz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.volny.cz/ycpk/uzly/LisciSmycka.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.volny.cz/ycpk/uzly.htm&h=150&w=250&sz=5&tbnid=uUsHAtHJvafTJM:&tbnh=75&tbnw=125&zoom=1&usg=__z665Pa7ktJ10ei1PyxAMABOF_Fc=&docid=uJnYu7gkWdGA1M&hl=cs&sa=X&ei=r17RUK6xBsnDswbG0IBY&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQ9QEwAw&dur=88   around metal end of violin string (http://www.google.cz/imgres?hl=cs&client=firefox-a&hs=anZ&sa=X&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1104&bih=601&tbm=isch&tbnid=AN06ALjJ8UdyUM:&imgrefurl=http://kytara.totalh.net/struny/co-byste-meli-vedet-o-kytarovych-strunach&docid=zCq1splTKajIYM&imgurl=http://kytara.totalh.net/img/color-coded-ballends.jpg&w=200&h=162&ei=XmjRULX2C4XwsgaLv4DoCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=302&vpy=348&dur=1888&hovh=129&hovw=160&tx=75&ty=81&sig=100543382731172234425&page=1&tbnh=129&tbnw=158&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:130).
Bonus of this non metal lines is, that is possible to round it around model and have it permanently connected (no risk of change of lines, quicker start preparation,..). I use system - one model-one lines.
I can deliver whole set of power setup or its components (timer (around 8$), ESC,......) as same as shape parts of this trainer (cut out PS wing and fuselage, cut out undercarriage and motor fixation parts,...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: