Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 24, 2018, 08:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RC peanut  (Read 898 times)
ror
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

France France

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:39:35 AM »

Hi,

I'm going to build a RC peanut. It is the druine turbulent from peck polymer.(plan in attachment)

First, I would like to make the ailerons with just one actuator. How would you do for the linkage? Or maybe with full span ailerons ?

secondly, the sides of the fuselage and the tail are full balsa. Do I have to cut it in order to make as a structure or let it like that ?

Thanks
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
RC peanut

Profi MC 3030 & Dx6i / micro, micro & micro !!
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 118

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:12:43 AM »

That looks like an intersting challenge ROR.
I think you will need an actuator/aileron if you go this route as i doubt if one would have enough power.
It would possibly be easier to use a small Spektrum or similar RCVR with linear servos and use one to drive very small torque rods - but this approach may be too heavy.
What motor are you using?
Good luck.
John
ror
Bronze Member

France France

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:53:46 AM »

thanks,

unfortunally, I bought all the material. I have one actuator of 0,4 Gr for elevon and rudder, and one of 0,8 G for aileron. I can't use spektrum servo because it's too heavy. And I agree with you too, a rod would be too heavy. Maybe the solution is to make full span ailerons ? I just ordered un servo from falcon, the 0,8 Gr Femto. Do you think it youd be enough ?

ror
Bronze Member

France France

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:04:23 AM »

the base of my reflection is this model of martin newel:

http://mnewell.rchomepage.com/Planes/P-51/P-51.html

I send him a email in order to know he did for his ailerons but he didn't answer

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:28:02 AM »

Yes it should be powerful enough - it looks very neat. It should be very easy to drive torque rods as well from the servo arm.
As for torque rods - it would be relatively easy to make your own very small and light rods in carbon.
Take about a 1/8 of a 12k tow of carbon more than twice as long as required for your rods and wet it out with epoxy.
Make it into a loop - a bit longer than your required length and tie the open end.
Hang it vertically from a nail or similar and place a heavy rod in the tied end of the loop and spin it until it is uniformly twisted tight and smooth from one end to the other. Place something against the bottom rod to stop it unwinding and leave it to dry for up to 24 hrs.
This should give you a rod of approx 0.3mm dia. as a 12K tow wound roughly like this will give about a 0.8mm dia twisted rod.
Don't forget to use release on the rod if you wish to reuse it and allow extra length of the carbon tows to allow for the loss of length when winding.
This approach can also be done with kevlar and it has an extra advantage.If you crack the finished rod, the resin will break out and you can then bend a length vertical for the drive arm connecting it to the servo. You can reglue the cracked joint with CA. The cracked unglued section of the rod could also be used as a pivot - however I'm not sure how much friction is involved, but I have seen this kevlar approach used on a larger RC DLG.
It may also be possible to just use a balsa rod of around 1.5mm dia or even square. Hard balsa should be strong enough.
John
ror
Bronze Member

France France

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »

Thank you very much !! It's very clear and light . Exactly whant I want. Just a question. to place this rod, I have to drill the wing ribs. Do I have to do something special with the holes ?(wax...).

ror
Bronze Member

France France

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:57:12 AM »

Another question: should I reduce dhiedral  because of the ailerons ?

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »

as it seems like it will be a very short run then you may be able to just use a bearing at the drive end with the aileron hinge providing the support at the other end. Clearance holes in the ribs should be sufficient.
You will need to make sure that the torque rod bearing lines up with the drive end bearing to avoid any friction.
If this is a rubber powered Pnut then I think it would be a good idea to reduce the dihedral. Probably no more than 4-5deg per half panel should be enough. It really depends on how fast it will fly as too much dihedral will make it twitchy in roll.
Good luck
John
ror
Bronze Member

France France

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »

thanks, this forum is wonderfull for me and my project. My model will be a RC peanut with a brushed motor. Finally, I forgive the first option with just one actuator. I will put two actuators of 0,4 Gr instead of one of 0,8 Gr. So, I have to reduce dhiedral as I supposed, otherwise, ailerons won't be effective ?

For the linkage, I will use copper wire resulting from an old brushless. But how cold I do to made the aileron. I must cut the wing at the place of the aileron and after ? with the aileron itself ? maybe a thin board of balsa (0,3 mm) in front of the aileron/wing ribs to close the pieces ?

I don'tt know if you know wwhat I mean, but I,m french, and my english is not as goog as I would !

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 07:10:25 PM »

For ailerons to work well – the models will need to be a little faster than it would be as a free flight peanut.
The small E Flight models have shown that this works well and your model will possibly end up weighing around 14-16gms instead of around 10 or so as a pnut.
Too much dihedral slows down the aileron response but it depends on the model and especially the wing position. As this is a low wing model I guessed at a figure that would be a reasonable compromise of 4-5deg. The Pnut plan likely has something like 6-7deg or even more.
Are you using Actiuators? I thought you were going to use a mini servo? The model will need to be light for the actuators I would think.
As for building the ailerons – basically as you have described. Build the wing with full length ribs at the aileron position and then when the glue has dried notch through the ribs to take full height spars at the aileron hinge line. One spar will be the front of the aileron and the other will be a sub spar for the ailerons in the wing. Take the wing sub spar a further rib bay towards the root past the aileron.
0.3mm for these spars is a bit light – perhaps 0.8 hard would be ok
Good luck
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: