Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 26, 2019, 10:13:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dirty glow engines  (Read 1110 times)
Kurt
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Brazil Brazil

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2012, 01:27:07 PM »

Hi,
everybody knows that there is a general tendency away from glow engines towards electric power. There are various reasons for this fenomena. What regards the power to weight ratio the electric drives for long have achieved and even overcome the gas power ratios. I was one of the guys who followed the new trend from the very beginning, with the brushed Speed 400 and Speed 600 and heavy NiCads. Still more than half of my fleet is electric, of course with brushless drives, modern ESC's and Hi power LiPo's. But there is still something missing: the sound!!! I found out that the drawback of dirty and oily models and the after flight cleaning can be avoided or at least reduced to a minimum. The oil loaded exhaust gases of the glow engines must be directed away from the fuselage and the wings. In the attached foto you can see what I mean, but I have to explain some very important details. The foto does not show the wings of the bipe. Of course the tube leads underneath the lower wing. Another important point is to avoid strangulating the exhaust stream, thus reducing power. Therefore the silicon tube must be always of a much larger diameter than the outlet bore of the muffler. The question how to fix such a larger tube on the muffler you can resolve connecting first smaller size rings cut from smaller tubes on the muffler. You will find the right diameters for such short tube pieces in your scrap drawer (well, I do).
Another consideration is the direction of the exhaust flow. I have a Little Extra where the gases are directed directly upwards. And the model does not become dirty!! It is all a matter of observation considering the circular flow caused by the prop around the fuse. You may also apply the trial and error method. Anyway you will recover the wonderful feeling of a "real" little airplane. Give your stowed away and forgotten glow motors a revival chance!
Kurt
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Dirty glow engines
Kurt
Silver Member

Brazil Brazil

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »

Hi all,
what I wrote above about glow engines applies of course to the recently again coming into vogue Diesel engines. With Diesel engines the concern of restricting the exhaust flow is not so serious as with glow engines, because many Diesel engines support an exhaust tube of up to 30 cm!! without loosing power. Try the right size out for your specific motor and keep your model clean. The nowadays available silicone tubes do the job perfectly.
Greetings,
Kurt
Aquaman
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »

Hi,
everybody knows that there is a general tendency away from glow engines towards electric power. There are various reasons for this fenomena. What regards the power to weight ratio the electric drives for long have achieved and even overcome the gas power ratios. I was one of the guys who followed the new trend from the very beginning, with the brushed Speed 400 and Speed 600 and heavy NiCads. Still more than half of my fleet is electric, of course with brushless drives, modern ESC's and Hi power LiPo's. But there is still something missing: the sound!!! I found out that the drawback of dirty and oily models and the after flight cleaning can be avoided or at least reduced to a minimum. The oil loaded exhaust gases of the glow engines must be directed away from the fuselage and the wings. In the attached foto you can see what I mean, but I have to explain some very important details. The foto does not show the wings of the bipe. Of course the tube leads underneath the lower wing. Another important point is to avoid strangulating the exhaust stream, thus reducing power. Therefore the silicon tube must be always of a much larger diameter than the outlet bore of the muffler. The question how to fix such a larger tube on the muffler you can resolve connecting first smaller size rings cut from smaller tubes on the muffler. You will find the right diameters for such short tube pieces in your scrap drawer (well, I do).
Another consideration is the direction of the exhaust flow. I have a Little Extra where the gases are directed directly upwards. And the model does not become dirty!! It is all a matter of observation considering the circular flow caused by the prop around the fuse. You may also apply the trial and error method. Anyway you will recover the wonderful feeling of a "real" little airplane. Give your stowed away and forgotten glow motors a revival chance!
Kurt

I started with electric powered models and now use glow engines. I like using engines better than electric motors. They each have their own personalty and "miniature engines" are hobby in and of itself.

Thanks
Kurt
Silver Member

Brazil Brazil

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:57:54 AM »

Aquaman,
if you find that small glow engines are a challenge (of course.061 or even .048 may be tricky!) which gives a lot of satisfaction, then in a later stage try out Diesel (=selfignition) engines, but start with at least a .15 size, reading beforehand the nice instructions on starting a Diesel engine which you can find in the internet forums, otherwise Diesel engines may be frustrating. Once you dominate the techniques, Diesels are much more powerful (hi-torque) have a deeper sound and are Much more reliable than glow engines. There is no in-flight stopping of the engine for undiscoverable reasons (mostly the glow plug getting too cold), of course if you set the ignition point correctly (counterpiston adjustment) what you can hear after a little training.
I wish you good luck for your next challenge!
Kurt
(this time not from Rio, but from Germany)
BBailey
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Me & my Great Grandson Bentley Liam Bailey

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 10:33:47 PM »

They don't have a My 2 cents Icon! ...

I have to admit, I have NEVER flown an electric. It just wasn't the same. I don't know a thing about them. Except I did get a 24" Speed Boat that goes 80 mph with twin Electrics. That said, it came from China and the whole unit is in one, my Ex wife bought it for me as I wanted another Amphib. Just 2 Batteries to deal with. Back to my planes I have quite a few and all are Glo and Gas. I have never minded the cleanup. Gives you time to chat while your getting things together. I found this light green cleaner at the Dollar Stores here and it cleans ANYTHING. I kept 2 gallons in my 28' 5th wheel. It cleaned the awning, the tar odd the front, the roofing, and the planes.

After looking around in here I don't see much where I fit. Don't do Peanuts, Free Flight, may start doing Control Line again if I physically can, but I love my RC. And I too LOVE the sound of the motor roaring overhead. I deliberately slow down as I approach field and then Gun it right in front, normally doing a twisting verticle depending on the plane. ... Love it! I also love my Amphibians, they would not be much without that sound. I am more a Warbird SemiScale to Scale type.

BBailey
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 02:53:53 PM »

I am struggling to convert to electric, and not because I don't get the electric science, I am a "closet electronics technician" but can't put my finger on why the interest in IC engines is still relevant in my life. I think it's because of the hobby of the years I ran model airplane engines as a kid. We ran and tried to figure out how to run lots of different engines and this became as much of the enjoyment as flying anything they were attached to. .049's attached to rags or even shoe boxes for heavens sake. Sound was a big part of the enjoyment. Today, 40 years onward, I still enjoy taking engines apart, cleaning, assembling, adjusting and bench running engines.
BBailey, don't sell yourself short that you  can't find something in common in the forum with the nature of your hobby, you are right at home here in RC section of this forum.

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water! (pirates of the Caribbean)
(Go Fast, sail close hauled to the wind, and bilge the hold to get lighter)
Kurt
Silver Member

Brazil Brazil

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »

Sundance I agree,
combustion engines are my compassion for decades. I own also a lot of electric powered planes, but the fun is not the same, they are simply too silent. Friends of mine who are fond of electrics but found them too silent have now installed sound modules, imitating inline and radial engines, 7 and nine cylinders, etc, imagine!!
I rather go for the originals!

Greetings from (the extremely hot) Rio
Kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: