Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 24, 2018, 01:04:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: tail line carrier  (Read 661 times)
sleepy gomez
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »

Years ago Jim Walker used a third line attached at the tail.  When pulled this allowed the plane to cant outward and slow forward progress.  No gadgets would be needed. Would this work in carrier today
jrplane
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:47:40 PM »

That technique is illegal under AMA rules. All control lines must exit within an inch of each other and cannot be further back than the cord of the wing where it meets the fuselage
Daithi
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Simplify - then add more lightness

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 06:50:05 AM »

If memory serves, there was a technique used where, when the third (throttle) line was pulled, the engine power reduced but there was also a connection to the rudder which added more offset (doing the same thing) - that has the lines in the legal position

It's not that modelling is in my blood. My blood is on a LOT of balsa Wink
jrplane
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »

I think you are confusing throttle control with sabre dancing( That's what having a 3rd line on the tail is called). The 3rd line has to be free to really do it right. If it is positioned to exit at the leadout point for the up/down lines I don't think you can get the needed force moment. (see my little graphic.  With just throttle control you can hang the plane if properly trimmed. Years ago in California the 3rd line attached to the tail was legal but never under AMA rules. I don't think it is legal in the UK either. We fly .15 Profile carrier here with fixed leadouts and can hang the plane a 60 degrees with just throttle. I can fully sabre dance a plane that way too, bipes are particularly easy.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: tail line carrier
50+AirYears
Gold Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »

Back when I first staarted flying CL, people locally were doing Sabre Dance by setting the engines sloppy rich, stagger around the circle, then on the downwind sid pull the nose up vertically.  With luck, the plane would hang at the end of the lines, bobbing like a fishing float.  10 or 115 degrees engine offset also helped.
When I was stationed at Whiteman AFB, I had a Sterling Flying Fool bipe which could do a version of the Sabre Dance with either a Fox .19 or .35 Stunt.  In fact, it flew the same regardless of which engine I used.  I'd either come to the bottom of a loop, or just do a few quick up-down undulations, then yank full up.  Plane would hang on the prop, at which time I neutralized the elevator.    The plane would hang there until I fed in just a bit of down, at which time the plane would resume normal fight.
That plane eventually succumbed to failed up line.  Still have a salvage FF someone gave me, and an NIB kit.  Like to try one with maybe a Fox .25 throttled engine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: