Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 26, 2019, 10:04:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wordguy design cookup?  (Read 9653 times)
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: June 14, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »

Bill,
Nice work there on the graphics program and printing.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: June 14, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »

Ates, there are no secrets. Just a few points you have to consider and practice.

Somehow I missed this post of yours Roman, sorry about that. Thank you very much, there are many tips in your reply which will useful for me next time I go out with my camera. I always tend to use the Auto settings (Nikon DSLR, similar lens to what you have) and rarely catch something that I like...  Thanks again!

--Ates
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: June 18, 2013, 03:54:53 AM »

Great to see that the planes are coming along!
I was flying with my Fly Baby and it flies quite nicely. Under power it is circling to the left. When power is nearly done, it flies one quite tight circle to the right and from then on it gliedes just straight until the landen Shocked It's a funny flight pattern, but it is stable. I am happy with it, but I am also wondering from where this circle at the end of the power phase comes....Any ideas? I will try to make a movie of it...

Atesus, Autosetting is the right thing for this quite fast planes. No time to adjust very much during the flight. If you have a sport mode, it will help to get short shutter speeds. The rest will work. Looking forward to your pics.

I dont know, if it is the same for you, but for me, the pictures from all your builds are very inspiring. A nice picture is capable of changing my building schedule completely. Sometimes I just have to build one of the shown planes Wink

Best regards Roman
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »

The Hurricane is ready for it's first flight.  I changed my mind about sanding in the trust line and decided to use an adjustable nose button.  The odd looking hole cutout is to accept the adjustable button.  Unfortunately the buttons I ordered are on back order so I will temporairly use a Peck button for initial flights.  The motor is a 22" length (11" loop, braided) of 1/8' Sig rubber.  The motor and O'ring weigh 2.1 grams and I needed 2.4 grams of ballast weight to put the CG at 30%.  The Peck prop and shaft weigh 1.7 grams.  The finished plane weighed 11 grams.  Total AUW is 17.2 grams.  The glide is fairly steep at that weight but it tracks nicely with slight left turn and no wobbles.  I will post some flying pic's when available.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Wordguy design cookup?

Bob
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: June 27, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »

Bob,

Great looking Hurri...good luck in the trimming and flying phase!

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Hugo Meiland
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: July 18, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »

It's been way too long since I've been on my building table, but finally some progress on the Fly Baby. The balsa building fase is almost done, although I still have to finish up the wheels and wires....

next step is covering....
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: July 19, 2013, 01:48:36 AM »

Hugo
Great bones. Looking forward to see the second Fly Baby finsihed. What colours will you add?
Roman
Hugo Meiland
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: July 20, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »

Thanks for your kind words,
actually, no idea on the colors yet.... still have to go trough the various aircraft pic sites....

Hugo
Hugo Meiland
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: July 27, 2013, 06:07:30 AM »

Covering is almost done and I've also seen a nice full-size example with basic enough painting scheme to be realistic Wink

Hugo

GeoffinIN
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: July 27, 2013, 08:15:49 AM »

Love the Fly Baby!  I bought the full scale plan from designer Peter Bowers back in 1971.  It's just a very large model airplane!

Off-topic, but this newbie needs to know:  What does "cook up" mean as it's used on this forum?

Ignorant Geoff
Hugo Meiland
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »

Hi Geoff,

A full-size fly baby plan is also in my collection, lovely to go through and to see how elegant some solutions have been thought up.... the cook-up's here are a sort off club projects where a common goal is defined, both in subject (like models form the same designer in this case) and a time-line (fortunately not too strict Wink ). This is actually the first I join here and for me it is an extra motivation to build the plane and to show progress....

Hope this helpes!
Hugo
Hugo Meiland
Bronze Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: August 06, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »

All dressed up now, and she made the first test glides.... still a lot to do due to the curved stabilo (any hints??)
wordguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: August 06, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »

Hugo, any chance you can get the stab off the airplane in one piece?

I have had SOME success by dampening the offending surface with alcohol (generally a stab or rudder), placing it between paper towels, and then placing the surface/towels between 2 pieces of "something flat" (say, some scrap 1/4" ply), adding weight to the sandwich, and going away for a day or so.  CAUTION:  IF YOU USED GLUE STICK, ALAPHATIC, ETC AS YOUR TISSUE ADHESIVE, IT CAN STICK - PERMANENTLY - TO THE PAPER TOWELS AND YOU WILL BE MOST UNHAPPY.

In this event, again dampen the offending surface, and pin it to your building surface (just as if you were building it)  using waxed paper, saran, etc. as the release agent.

I suspect that others have used conventional ovens and microwaves for this sort of thing, and I'd like to hear about those techniques....

Of course, the solution that most often works for me is (sigh) building a new stabilizer...

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

— T. Baron Russell, 'A hundred Years Hence,' 1905
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 49

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: August 06, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »

I've done similar to what John suggests, except I usually lay out strips of balsa and then pin the component to the board over the strips of balsa so air can get to the bottom side. After spritzing with alcohol both sides.  This often takes care of the offending warp.  But as John says, sometimes I comes down to building a new vertical or horizontal stab. 

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
Ace Dugan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: August 06, 2013, 05:39:10 PM »

If your warp is pretty simple, just along one line or axis such as just cupped, I have had good luck in fixing them right on the model. You would need to make some sort of fixture to hold the stab bent in the position you want it to be in.  Then wet in down pretty well with just water and let it sit for as long as possible.  I often lay a wet paper towel over the stab to slow down the drying. Don't be afraid to wet it down several times until the tissue and wood are pounded into submission.

ace
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2013, 02:31:58 AM »

Hugo, great looking Flybaby. I like the shots with it covered in plane white tissue. In the picture from the side, that stab doesn't look that bad... Maybe it's the good side? If possible, I would remove the stab and pin it down as suggested. To reduce the risk of warping, I normally cover my tail feathers with pre shrunk and pre doped tissue. But still no guaranty that it will stay flat. I was lucky with the stab of the Flybaby, it is still flat.

I am very interested in hearing about your trimming phase. I just trimmed mine, it is now flying nicely. But has still a "special" habit. The general pattern is left / right, but at the end of the power phase, it will fly one rather tight circle to the right and then glides quite straight. I did not find out the reason for this tight circle at the beginning of the glide phase...

Hope to see more.

Roman
javman
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: September 12, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »

Hello everyone, better late than never i guess. Here are the bones for the Jodel. i've peeked at some of the builds here lately and am astounded at the level of artistry. i definitely need to build more peanuts.  Tongue -javier

Recreating history, one re-kitted airplane at a time.
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: September 15, 2013, 03:52:53 AM »

Javman, nice bones. I think it's the only Jodel in this cookup. Looking forward to see it finished. Any ideay yet about the colouring?

I had to change the nose part on my Flybaby. (More down thrust...) now finished, I am waiting for some more flight testing. First test looked promising.
Hope to be able to post some pictures soon. Fall is coming and with it more windy evenings....
Anyway, more time for building.

Roman
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: September 15, 2013, 08:39:34 AM »

I might get my Sperry flight ready by the time the winter sets in Roll Eyes (indoor sessions - IF our club bothered to book).  I've at least pre-shrunk and "coffee'd" the wing tissue with intentions of doing some covering today.

The "colored" tissue will be more akin to "antique", since I don't have plans to chalk or over-paint (at least not yet).  The nose/cowl will be done with green tissue, based on a few photos I've seen of various Jenny's.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
javman
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: September 15, 2013, 09:22:46 PM »

Thanks, Roman. well, got the covering done, and chose to my own way with the wife's help in choosing the colors. wit the Jodel being a homebuilt, it's the way i would build a real one. I checked for schemes everywhere including airliners.net and there were very few that were not red and white (like trying to find a bunch of non yellow piper cubs). Cheers, javier

Recreating history, one re-kitted airplane at a time.
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2013, 01:34:04 AM »

Pit, looking forward to your Jenny.
Javier, nice colour combination. Close to the finishing now. Hope you will have the opportunity to fly it soon.

Roman
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2019, 02:03:18 PM »

Getting one foot in the stirrup on the way to getting back in the saddle...as is said "better late than never Roll Eyes.  Life issues and all that.

last week, I finally got the Sperry covered and assembled and it didn't need any lead in the nose (yet).  It is actually a tiny bit nose heavy, but with the addition of rubber and rear anchor, should be  OK.  The NS (Cohen) wheels really set the pup off and helped keep the dry weight down to 7.5 grams (prolly <10 grams RTF).  Minimal trim details as yet with possibly some motor detail to come after it learns how to fly.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: