Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2018, 06:02:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aeroflyte Cougar  (Read 2092 times)
hikokibert

« on: December 31, 2008, 10:50:04 PM »

Greetings all.

I am hoping for advise on finishing an Aeroflyte Cougar as a trainer. My previous control line experience is a Sig little toot which I built and crashed a few times. I then made a 1/2A plane from a plan. It is ready to fly but I thought I would try something more robust before I flew it. I started the cougar seven years ago but got sidetracked and never finished it. I am keen to learn control line flying so I dug it out and turned to the Internet for advise.
I have a new Enya .09 control line engine for it and it has a home made fuel tank which I hope will work. I plan to cover it with silk span and give it a coat of paint. The kit has skinny red plastic wheels. Should I use these or rubber wheels. I don't know what propeller to use or what kind of wires. I live in Australia and will have to source everything on the internet as the local hobby shops can't help, so any help with suppliers would be appreciated.

I have attached some photos of my efforts so far.

Cheers, Robert
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Aeroflyte Cougar
Aeroflyte Cougar
Aeroflyte Cougar
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 32

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 02:02:51 AM »

Hello Robert. There are a few control line clubs in Australia. If you do a search on the net, I know you will find them. They may have a person close to you that may be able to help. If not, they should be able to direct you to Australian hobby shops that can supply you. Here's a site I found

http://www.dkd.net/clmodels/orgs.html

Just click on the "patches" and they should take you to the various clubs. Hope this helps.

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Kudos: 47

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:16:59 AM »

The Enya .09 is a real good engine, it was referenced in the 1966-1967 Aero Modeller Annual on page 23 and says that on standard 5% nitro it measured almost 0.19bhp at 16,000 rpm. On 30% nitro and the venturi restrictor removed it measured 0.24bhp at 20,000 rpm. Not many other .09's will come close to those great performance numbers. Now I don't recommend operating it on 30% nitro and no muffler as a routine but this is a great little motor if run properly. If you can find a 7x4, up to a 7x6 prop you will be good to start out, the 7x6 might be a bit much but that is dependent on how your airplane flys and it's weight. The red wheels that you use may be good if you are flying off the pavement but I think that the rubber wheels might be better for grass, or perhaps a few sheets of plywood as a runway on the grass.

Keep up the good work, as you manage on your own, I also recommend finding a local club somewhere to get a chance to see what they do and get some help flying for the first time, it will make a big difference to your long term success.

Sundance12

Haul Your Wind! and Hold Your Water! (pirates of the Caribbean)
(Go Fast, sail close hauled to the wind, and bilge the hold to get lighter)
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 05:00:14 PM »

G'day Robert,

Welcome to the forum and with a bit of luck we'll be able to get you flying around and round.

Where in Oz are you? I'm in Western Sydney and can help out if you are nearby.

As already pointed out, you'll be able to find a CL club close (in OZ terms) to you.

The Cougar is the way to go, and if flying off grass (preferred) use rubber wheels (1 1/2" or 1 3/4").

Your Enya should pull a large range of props but once run-in I'd use a 7X4 on a trainer. Lines are tricky some hobby shops have a little CL stuff hidden away. It pays to ask, blokes running hobby shops are often involves in some kind of modelling and are sympathetic to our needs. But if you can't find anything, check hte BriStunt website. Run by Bill Swan, also in Westrern Sydney, he carries a good range of stuff, is totally reliable and will go out of his way to help.

Let me know if there is any other help you need.

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
hikokibert

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »

Thanks for the response. I checked out the link above and and in there found a shop in Australia called Hobbycave which has control line supplies. It didn't come up in my previous google search. Their prices seemed very reasonable so I ordered a handle and 52' wires based on a chart on the Brodack site. I didn't think about lead out wires till I had finished my order. Is it possible to use the wire traces from fishing shops for these?

I live in Maitland and it seems there is a club at Gateshead in Newcastle which would be my best bet if I can find a contact number. I could have missed it as I searched. There is a RC club just a couple of minutes down the road that has a Control line circle but I hardly ever see anyone using it.The club at St Ives looks good. I will be in Sydney this weekend and might swing by on Sunday to see if anyone is there.

Cheers, Robert
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »

Robert,

There's a bunch of us going to fly at St Ives on Saturday, including a felllow who fly regularly at Gateshead.

If you can make it Saturday, you'll be welcome.

Look forward to seeing you, otherwise I'll get some contact no's for you for regular Gateshead fliers.

Clwally

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 02:18:08 AM »

G'day Robert,
Look forward to seeing you on Saturday at KMFC at St Ives Showground. We usually start between 8 - 9 am as the wind is usually light then.

I've built a couple of Cougars to teach my kids how to fly with. You'd be better to shorten the lines to about 48' instead of 52' as you're only using an Enya 09. The shorter lines will aid in having less sag due to the low power of the engine.

Make sure you use a fuel that's got 25% castor oil in it or the Enya won't be happy for very long. - The older engines like to have a higher oil content than the modern engines. I ran an Enya 15 on some fuel from the shop that turned out to be 3% castor and 15% synthetic and 20% nitro. It lasted about 4 flights then the web and pin broke off the crankshaft. Anyone got an unwanted crankshaft for an Enya 15 Mk111 3303? Smiley

Happy flying,
Walter
hikokibert

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 04:21:53 AM »

Thanks for the advice Walter. I am not coming down to Sydney till Sunday so wont be able to meet you at this time but look forward to one day.I have a question about my engine. I bought it brand new in Japan seven years ago. The box says Enya 09-IV. Is this an old design? I haven't run it yet so am happy you explained its needs. I run RC car nitro engines and probably would have started with a 5% nitro mix from the shop where I get my car fuel. It would have been mostly synthetic oil. I know the cox I have needs different fuel so I guess I should have given an aero engines fuel needs some more thought.

I am heading to Japan for a couple of weeks in April and if I learn to fly by then and am keen I will pick up another engine. The appeal of control line to me is the building and flying of what I make and control line looks like it offers so much scope for this. Control line planes to me look so much better and purposefull than RC planes and much cheaper to boot. It also looks like great fun.

Cheers, Robert
greggles47
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 05:45:13 AM »

Well Robert,

It's a year on, did you get to fly that Cougar?

If you're still looking for help let me know.

regards
Greg

fredj
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 06:13:16 AM »

Sorry to open an old thread but I was originally partly inspired by the original poster to resurrect my first ever C/L model.  I remember the yellow and black colour scheme that I replicated on my model, the original package had everything including the fuel and paint, equivalent to a modern RFT (aside from the building) !  Unfortunately I didn't have much help and dad ended up crashing my model.  No doubt a lot of glue later mum organised a visit to a club and a new ace was born.

Thanks heaps to "JEM" from Tasmania for providing a plan for the cougar (which didn't originally exist).  I was amazed at just how small the model was compared to my 12 year old memory.  I was also happily surprised at how easy it was to buy a really good example of the original os max 10 I had - I bought an r/c example from ebay and would you believe you can also buy a replica c/l venturi and the original needle assembly from ebay - how about that.

A good 6 years ago I build a Valiant and at the time I could still buy original aeroflyte accessories, that all seems to be history and finding c/l parts in Australian shops seems like a lost cause.  I had to buy from Brodak which was interesting, in particular the use of stainless wires rather than the solderable type we all used (I found that out the hard way).

I've used car paints and properly fuel proofed the engine area, I remember the original paint just peeled once it had fuel on it and most of my models just fell to a sloppy oily mess.

The model hasn't flown yet, I have recently tried a c/l model and I need to just stand in position and fly figures of 8 to avoid spinning around to avoid getting dizzy which won't be possible with the little cougar.  It should get airborne very soon.  I've attached some photo's - thanks again to JEM for his help.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Aeroflyte Cougar
cloudburstz
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 03:20:33 PM »

Trawling the forum in a quiet moment it was nostalgic to see this. At 50 I've regained my modelling obsession in RC power and gliders and had a thread running in Old time rubber with the Keil Kraft AJAX, however.. I also had a Cougar way back in about the late 70's when I was in school, with an Enya .09. Nice to see the pics, I almost forget about it. Still, in Australia I spent most of my childhood scouring the Aeroflyte catalog and model shops and saving up to build as many as I could. Thanks for the reminder Smiley
eyebrows
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 09:05:22 PM »

WOW, I have not seen a Cougar for at least 20 years when one of my mates had one with a .15 in it. It was a little beast and was very forgiving to hard landings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: