Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 27, 2017, 06:11:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Blizzard E36  (Read 8162 times)
airplay
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2016, 03:43:14 PM »

@ cvasecuk:
The powertrain now is APC 6/5.5, Emax Rs 2205/2600KV , 12 A no name ESC, Nanotech 300mAh 45-90. This combo climbs like a scalded cat! Way higher than the rest yesterday.
But my present Microlite covering is not up for the new speed and needs warp checking each launch. Which I did not last launch...
My next Blizzard is almost ready except for the wing.
I'm looking for an better airfoil and advice on Cubenfibre for covering (I have some 18g/m2) 
Jens     
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2016, 02:42:08 PM »

Congratulations Jens. Any chance that you'll join the E36 throng at Moncontour this year?

As for wing covering, although I've never used it, from what I've read Cuben is best used with carbon wings e.g carbon D box or rib caps. What will stiffen the wings without carbon is tissue over mylar, and the dope on the tissue hardly adds any weight. My power flying guru tells me that insufficiently stiff wings tend to flutter and wash out with faster climbs, in which case checking the wing before launch probably won't reveal anything. I'll let the Johns, O'Sullivan & Thompson provide a better explanation.

Regards

Peter
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2016, 08:42:01 AM »

I have not had any flutter problems with my Blizzards. Micafilm on the first and Ultracote light on others. I have not tried tissue over mylar although i have used it successfully on other models.
Geodetic structure is the answer.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Blizzard E36
Re: Blizzard E36

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2016, 05:59:08 PM »

Further updates on my Blizzard: I went to Jutland last weekend for the danish championship and the big boys world cup.  And the weather was  incredible. Hot, gentle wind but tricky. In the F1S class only 6 competitors but mostly very experienced ones.
My model did well. Awesome climb with the hot cells and decent glide with the new tubulation. Until 4th round easy maxing....Then I returned in vain without my model for next round I was pleased to see it brought home by someone, but unhappy to see the broken tail boom. One F1B had crashed on my model while I were searching along the sheeps on the heath....
Quick CA'ing and some tape followed with a shortish test ... But 4. round went minus 4 sek due to immense stalling. Cured for 5. round.
So #2 in Danish Champs with 4 sek missing.
And Peter Buchwald (only clean card) won and told me he was happy not to meet me in an fly-off

I did test my new Blizzard the evening before the match and must say the cuben fiber 15g does not work. To day I received some Oralight from Germany and next outing will be Small Swedish Cup at Rinkaby. And you guys out there: It is still open for new competitors!

Still very pleased with the design...

Jens     
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2016, 03:37:02 PM »

Further updates on my Blizzard: I went to Jutland last weekend for the danish championship and the big boys world cup.  And the weather was  incredible. Hot, gentle wind but tricky. In the F1S class only 6 competitors but mostly very experienced ones.
My model did well. Awesome climb with the hot cells and decent glide with the new tubulation. Until 4th round easy maxing....Then I returned in vain without my model for next round I was pleased to see it brought home by someone, but unhappy to see the broken tail boom. One F1B had crashed on my model while I were searching along the sheeps on the heath....
Quick CA'ing and some tape followed with a shortish test ... But 4. round went minus 4 sek due to immense stalling. Cured for 5. round.
So #2 in Danish Champs with 4 sek missing.
And Peter Buchwald (only clean card) won and told me he was happy not to meet me in an fly-off

I did test my new Blizzard the evening before the match and must say the cuben fiber 15g does not work. To day I received some Oralight from Germany and next outing will be Small Swedish Cup at Rinkaby. And you guys out there: It is still open for new competitors!

Happy to see that Jens Placed second in the Danish  Championships and placed first in the Small Swedish Cup with my Blizzard design

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2016, 12:22:53 PM »

Just now watching John O'sullivan's reply, I have to replay that his design is one good start in F1S. Built after his drawings it is absolute safe and good performing. I attended 4 competitions this year and never went worse than second....  I think the design is found on Outerzone. Thanks John for a good start !
Jens.

airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »

On my long journey with the Blizzard design, this day was special. Værløse Airbase ( now recreational area owned by The Danish Nature Agency) offered nice flying conditions. Sunny and low drifting conditions. About 0 C temp and some old dry snow.
My Blizzard #2 (AG 3 airfoil) at last broke the 100m barrier with one 103m reading (on 5 s) And some very close...
So now we are double up from where we started.
And how did this happen:
Emax RS 2205 2600Kv. Apc 6x5,5. HK Nano 300mAh heated in regulated box to 38C. Model covered with Oralight ( Ads good stiff wings)
My AUW is about 140g.

This could be a great season..

Jens
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »

Excellent results Jens. I sure am glad I am not flying against you and Tapio.

Paul Bradley
Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2017, 12:51:50 AM »

Aw, the contest is on! Next I need a hotter motor and a battery heating box?! Interesting that you get this height with 300mAh battery - it seems good for 5 second motor run?

airplay
Bronze Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »

@ Tapio: I find the 300mAh HK Nano ok for my models. For 10s it fades, but who needs 200m? Heating batteries according to yesterday's testing brought a gain about 20 m on 5s.(0 deg C conditions) Newly charged and heated, ctr ditto unheated.
Your motor is same league as mine, but I think my new airfoil offer less resistance at speed.  For its soaring abilities I have not much data except that 120s on 5s motoring looks safe .

Jens 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: