Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 17, 2017, 04:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another "first LPP"  (Read 755 times)
ram
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »

Here is my first true indoor model in over 30 years.  It is an IMS LPP made from a mixture of an old kit and some of my own wood and materials.  Came in at 3.00g so will ballast it 100mg to be legal.  Will be taking it to the West Baden event for first flights along with a newly constructed A-6 (pics in A-6 thread).  The LPP was much easier to construct than the A-6 due to larger wood sizes, realistic minimum weight, and film covering.

Rey
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Another "first LPP"
Another "first LPP"
Another "first LPP"
Another "first LPP"
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:48:05 PM »

LPP's are great, aren't they? Lots of time in the air for not too much effort. I built my last one back in the '80s, but it's still flyable. Yours looks better than any of my indoor models ever do.
ram
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »

Had a chance to fly my LPP at West Baden this past weekend. My best flight was 12:52.  It just scraped the"pizza" once or twice during that flight.  My prior 2 flights climbed into the rafters, one which got hung up while the other clocked a 12:23 I believe. Very happy with how it flew.

Rey
green-man
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

One of my F1D VP propeller hubs - weight 104 mg.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »

Great stuff Rey. The model looks beautifully built and covered too.

Nick.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »

Rey's LPP did a dance with mine for several minutes under the disc at the top of the West Baden dome. I beat him by a couple of minutes on the descent because I have better rubber. I don't think this will always be the case.
ykleetx
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »

I told Rey that he should build a F1D soon ...
ram
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 02:16:33 PM »

Bill and Kang,

Thanks for the kind words, encouragement, and help.  I really wasn't sure how I was going to like flying indoor after so many years of outdoor contests......but, I really like it.  I think it is the fact that you are always trying to improve the flying ability of the model vs. outdoor where it is mostly air-picking after your model is trimmed.  I know that the air changes inside also, but not so much that it is the only thing you are thinking about.

One thing I learned for sure is that I need steering equipment and have to learn how to use it!

Thanks again,

Rey

mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 09:09:53 PM »

I told Rey that he should build a F1D soon ...

You tell everybody that...

mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »

One thing I learned for sure is that I need steering equipment and have to learn how to use it!

Buy a package of 3' Qualatex balloons and some 3/8" caulk backer rod. Lowes/Home Depot will have it in 20'. You can get longer online. String for the ends, some glue, a swivel is nice to have. Then a cheapie reel. Later on you might like the quick fill thingies that A2Z sells.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: