Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 18, 2017, 10:33:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cessna XMC  (Read 2695 times)
frostman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »

Hi everyone, I have a good one for you. The Cessna 1014 XMC was built in 1971 as a proof of concept aircraft. All I can find on it is a picture, and no I can not post; as I lost it somehow. Anyhow has anyone got plans or a three view of this plane? Just fishing really to see what might be out there.

Thanks.. Frostman...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:07:55 PM by Forum Staff » Logged
frostman
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »

Hello everyone just thought I would post a few black and white pictures of the XMC. This is all I have on this aircraft.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Cessna XMC
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Kudos: 23

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:33:13 AM »

I've got 'The Wings of Cessna' book and all it has is the in flight picture in it. No drawings!
Why don't you contact Cessna direct and ask if they have a 3 view available? You might just strike lucky!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.
I once made a similar request to the Westland Company and they sent me the Harleyford 'Book of Westland Aircraft'.
Mind you, that was 50 odd years ago!

Bill.

Bill Brown UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
frostman
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:52:15 AM »

Thanks for the thought Bill, but others have already tried; and apparently all drawings were lost or destroyed.
skyking32

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:48:12 AM »

I did a search for them back in the 1990s and found that Cessna is using old salt mines to store some of their drawings, literally in deep storage.  I was able through some odd contacts to get a couple of drawings.  One is of a much modified Anderson-Greenwood AG-14 pusher that was a basis for the study.  The other is a rough sketch that has a basic outline of the XMC with the sweep angle and other details shown from above and a front view.  All the other drawings were apparently destroyed or are filed away in such a inaccessible location that they aren't available, even to Cessna engineers who request them.

The XMC was a cute little bird, but between the noise, added cost of production and instability revealed in flight testing (needed at least 18" more length to push the tail back to make it more effective and stable) it was not to be.   Final disposition of the plane is even a bit of a mystery.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 122

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:19:13 AM »

I don't have the production start date of the SkyMaster (push-pull twin), but the XMC looks more like a "chopped" SM. Many of the "modules" appear to be identical.   Might have been an attempt at a lower cost/simpler model of similar configuration

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 58

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 07:22:14 AM »

Hi
The latest Flying Aces Club mag. has a small 3-view, I cant post it as Ive lent my copy out, but someone out there should have it.
Regards Dave
Zeiss Ikon
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 07:31:57 AM »

I remember when Popular Science published an article on this airplane, including their reporter Bob Gannon getting to fly it (right seat).  First, for scale modeling reference, it never flew with the Cessna style nose wheel pant shown in the first photo; that was airbrushed over an in-flight shot with the cuff style nose gear shown in the last photo (I recall this from the article -- and yes, that was close to forty years ago).  Second, they had ongoing problems throughout the test program with the engine overheating (at that time, there were similar problems with the rear engine in the Skymaster, later resolved with improved cooling air ducts).  As I recall, the XMC wasn't just a chopped Skymaster, though the flying prototype used a Skymaster engine, wing center, and tail section -- the outer wing was shortened and thinned, and the cabin lightened considerably (to improve performance over a 337 flying on only the rear engine); I don't recall reading how they dealt with the massive rearward CG shift they'd get from deleting the front engine, but it looks like they added enough sweep to the outer wing panels to cover that.

As I recall, the reasons given for dropping the test program were that the XCM would have duplicated the 172 in terms of market position (four-place single), didn't perform any better, and would have cost more to produce (despite reusing some 337 components).

Another interesting prototype Cessna built using a Skymaster rear section (this one with unmodified wing) used a Ford Pinto as the passenger cabin.  The idea was that you'd drive to the airport, bolt on the wing (with attached engine and tail section), fly away, and on arrival at the destination back the whole thing into a hangar, unbolt the flight unit, and drive the Pinto around town.  It actually flew fairly well (though it never had the sophistication of Scaramanga's jet powered Javelin from "The Man With the Golden Gun"), but the same problems with engine overheating, along with the mismatch of a Pinto to the market of those who could afford a new airplane, not to mention the sheer mental image of someone screwing up the wing mounting and becoming the proud (if short-term) owner of a free-falling Pinto, combined to kill that project at the one-prototype stage.

I'm here to have fun -- but winning isn't bad, either.
Garry
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 07:36:25 AM »

Here is the 3v from the latest FAC News Letter

Garry
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Zeiss Ikon
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 07:41:36 AM »

Here is the 3v from the latest FAC News Letter

Garry

I see a note in the 3-view about "unintelligible dimensions" but I can get a couple of them, and the rest could be scaled from a Skymaster -- the tail unit was identical to a 337 of 1970 vintage.  The overall length looks like 27 feet (possibly with some inches), and propeller diameter is pretty clearly 71 (inches).  There's no span even marked, but that could be scaled from the drawing well enough to build from.

BTW, this might be a model that would call for a 3- or 4-blade propeller, since diameter is limited by the tail booms.

I'm here to have fun -- but winning isn't bad, either.
Geek1945
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 09:59:55 PM »

Propeller pusher aircraft usually have cooling problems in addition to the safety issue of engine mass during a crash. Besides these problems the unique design likely would have been involved in a lawsuit requiring Cessna to reveal many design criteria in court. Adding up all these factors likely doomed the production especially in single general aviation aircraft. Ed 

Geek1945
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: