Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2018, 01:19:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bean Box  (Read 836 times)
buildawyvern
Silver Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »

Greetings all,

Here's my Bostonian Bean Box for outdoor FF. Wasn't there an outdoor Bostonian category? Maybe I need glasses?

Anyway here's my Bean Box. I flew it for the first time today with great results. Very easy to trim. A very more adjustments needed perhaps for maximum flight times.

Tom
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Bean Box
Bean Box
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 06:35:18 PM »

Lookin' good!  Nice work.
Cee Gee
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 06:02:46 PM »

Nice Bean Box Tom.  I will be interested to hear about your flights as you trim it out more.   We will have to fly our Bean Boxes together soon.  Mine is a "Sport Model" enlarged to 20" span just for the fun of it...

Skip.
buildawyvern
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »

I took out my Bean Box this morning with a 7" Gizmo Geezer prop cut down to 6". I had to start the trimming process over again but the results were worth it.  down thrust, a bit of right. 4 strands of 3/32" rubber worked very well. I even had one flight in a thermal! The weather was getting pretty hot today so I had to give up but the model is flying really well now. A 7" prop would probably work good but Walt Mooney use to cut down 7" props to 6" for his Bostonians so they would have higher pitch. That's where the idea came from.

I will try to take a video the next time out!

Tom
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:41:43 AM »

Walt knew the rules require a limit of 6 inch props for the Bostonian event under the AMA rulebook. Neat design to finally see a Bean Box finished.

Thanks for showing this one, Cool Cool Cool Cool
IndoorFlyer

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 11:35:24 PM »

Nice 'Box.  Did you use the stock size wood?  IIRC, the fuse is built with 3/32 square.

I thought I had an electronic version of the plan, but I can't seem to find it.  Can anyone post one to the HPA Plan Gallery?
buildawyvern
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »

Thanks Indoorflyer!

Yes I used the stock wood sizes but I always strip my own sticks. The fuse has 3/32" longerons with 3/32' x 1/16' uprights and crosspieces.
You could easily use 1/16" square for all the fuselage and save some weight. Mine is not light at about 3/4 oz but it flys well. When I strip wood
I make sure it's only strong enough between the crosspieces so it only needs to be stiff enough for an inch or so. None of my models are ultra light but they fly well especially in thermals. Cee Gee made a Bean Box that flys better at 20" span. Bigger is always easier to get a lighter wing loading. I'm also trying a bigger prop the next time out (7").

I'll see if I can upload the plan soon.

Tom
Cee Gee
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:43:25 PM »

Just for information.   You can buy the plan for $5 from AMA Plans Service.   http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/B.pdf

Best regards, Skip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: