Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 26, 2019, 10:35:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spitfire on Floats  (Read 1729 times)
Jamesbee
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »

I built a Spitfire from an Easy Built Kit with a 50" span and want to put it on Floats. I have designed and Framed up a set of Floats that are 28" long and built them as light as I could. I have Two questions, should the step on the Floats be in line with the Balance Point on the Wing and how many degrees of positive should the Wing be relative to the Floats when there level? This is my first attempt at using Floats and I could use a little help getting them mounted in the right position. Thanks Guy's.  Jim
mikewight
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »

Jim.
You will find a detailed article on the conversion of dry to wet models under the title, "Model Float design" by David Boddington on page 15 of the Miscellaneous Articles section of the Plans Gallery. The model CG should be a short distance ahead of the step, so that when on the plane, the model is running  balanced on that part of the float. The rigging angle should be such that the float datum is approx -3 degrees to the fuselage datum. Alternatively, the float keel line aft of the step should be at 10 degrees to the A/C datum. The article illustrates both these points. Best of luck with the project, I built a rubber powered FF version of the same subject several years ago which flew reasonably well, but was unable to take off from the water.
Mike.
mikewight
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »

Jim.
Further to my reply on the 6th, I have uploaded a "seaplane Float Data" file to the Miscellaneous Plans page of the gallery. The second page gives a float rigging diagram for full size seaplanes which might also help, (or confuse!) you.
Have found a pic of the rubber powered Spit on floats I mentioned, it actually did fly.
Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Spitfire on Floats
Jamesbee
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:37:57 PM »

Thanks Mike, your info has been a big help. I need to replace my Camera so I can upload a few pic's of my project. Trying to find some time to finish this build, I am pretty eager to Fly this one. Again, Thanks for your help.  Jim
mikewight
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:25:56 PM »

Glad to be of help Jim, hope it flies OK. Mike
pouduciel
Copper Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 12:58:07 AM »

Very beautiful model Dornier shall begin to build one like this week
Chris A.
Nickel Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 05:00:01 PM »

In 1932 Cleveland Models brought out a kit and plans for the Supermarine S6B Schneider Cup Racer. Has anyone ever seen one of these built up from the plans and flown on rubber? I have the plan and parts templates, but it looks like it would build very heavy. As the actual plane still exists, there are pictures on line so I could make a very accurate model.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: