Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 15, 2018, 11:15:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sterling Peanut Scale.  (Read 3487 times)
Widdog
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 07:02:11 AM »

Time to glue the wings on to the fuselage. The wings get glued to two plates on the side of the fuselage. Seems like the dihedral angle is kind of built into the model. I cut the parts out accurately and they fit together well. I don't know if I have enough dihedral angle in my wings or not. This seems like a make it or break it kind of deal for flying. Oh well I kind of eye balled the dihedral will see when trim flight time arrives. 

I decided to try a high wing Sterling Peanut scale model next attempt will be the Talyorcraft.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Sterling Peanut Scale.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »

Well I finished the Sterling Models Peanut Series Corsair that I made from copying and scratch building. Since this kit is no longer produced I copied and will store the original for later reference. This kit could really make a very fine looking Corsair. I built this one to see if I could get it to fly. Since I'm not the best model flier in the box it should be kind of interesting to see what results I can get.

"We Who Are About To FF Salute You." 
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »

Well about a year ago I packed this unfinished PP plane into a cardboard box and put it into storage. Today I remembered I had it and decided to finish and try fling this model. Back than I was kind of hooked on the idea of getting a Multi Purpose kit to fly. I think there has to be some modifications in the Multi Purpose kits to get them to fly well. Anyway this plane looks like it should be a good flier. If I can or can not get this model to fly I am still going to stick with the hobby. Either way I see a Guillow's Lancer build in my near future.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »

I remember I read somewhere that when working on Peanuts one should work on them two at a time. i.e. Work on one till the glue needs to dry than work on the other one. I decided to go with this Jimmy Allen Fokker DR 1 Scratch Build as my second model. Apparently it was printed in a newspaper in around 1932. Since this will be a total "Scratch" build I decided what the hey mine as well add it to this thread.  
WIDDOG,
Thanks for posting this very rare Jimmy Allen PLAN.
Where did you get it from?
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 03:02:26 PM »

Sorry I can't find the sight again. I did not know it was a rare plan. At the time I though it was an overdone freebie kind of thing and paid no attention to it. Unfortunately it does not fit into my winding stooge and I have only been able to hand wind in about 500 turns. I will try to get it set up, and assistant to hold it and video if it flying.  Here's what it will do on 500 winds. http://youtu.be/vKl_ieQr8Wg

I did finish the Corsair and the Piper Cub but have not had time to trim/fly them.

My new build a C 130 Hercules scratch built is taking up my time now. The one picture is actually a Plastic Green Army Men Toy C 130 with a propeller taped to the front to show what i'm planning.

As a kid this was a fun hobby but I now am starting to take it more seriously. Still having a heck of a good time.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »

Well I have half the fuselage framed up on this C 130.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 02:30:12 PM »

Nice start on the Herky!  Is this also going to be P'nut sized?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »

Thanks, I think I have enough of a start on this C 130 to think I actually might be able to finish it. It is a 22.5 inch wing span. I have a 65 inch wing span Control Line plan of a C 130. I printed it out "Fit To Page" I ended up with an outline of a C 130 that was 22.5 inches of wing span. I was originally going to build it with one rubber motor/propeller but I have since decided to try four rubber motor set up. 
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 01:56:58 AM »

So far no problems with the C 130 build.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »

My flying is getting better. http://youtu.be/kTnUMI75SzQ
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »

You're right!
You must be very happy. Keep up the good work.
Have you been winding by hand?
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »

Thanks it feels great to be starting to have some success. Yes I have a good 10 to 1 winder and I like my stooge. The main thing that I think was holding me back we the fact that not only am I my Flying Clubs president I'm also its only member LOL. I would post even my failures to try and get better. The advice I get from this Forum is starting to sink into my head. This Forum and members are the best! I still want to get better and someday start a real Flying Club here in WV. 
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »

Starting trim flights on the Sterling Corsair. I think if I can find the correct motor that maybe this kit will fly. http://youtu.be/-J2sr3KUfHY
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »

Yes, it will fly. Grin
What motor do you have in it now?

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »

Hi Tony!

The first trim video is with 1/8 inch x 1 length with 6 inch PP prop. This video is with 3/16 inch x 1.5 length with 6 inch prop. http://youtu.be/eJ7uxhKpJms I am thinking about going to try a 4 inch prop on 1/8 inch rubber x 1.5 length. I'm really not very good at figuring motor/propellers. The Bob Peck Cub had that noted  on the instruction sheet. Any help you can give would be appreciated!
tross
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 08:21:32 AM »

I think that's how it's done. Wind , toss, retrieve, repeat. Grin
Kind of like washing your hair....lather-rinse-repeat. Grin Cheesy Smiley Grin
That's part of the fun (for me anyway)... trying different set-ups...props, rubber, cg, decalage....
I don't see anything that you have built lately that should need a 3/16" motor....maybe the Jimmie Tripe.
So can you try the 4-3/4" prop and 1/8" ...length of 1x to maybe a length of 1.5x the hook to peg?
Also, are you stretch winding with a stooge now?
That subject you are flying is a little tricky, but that first vid was what showed it's close to being tamed.
Maybe the smaller prop, a touch more ballast and a lot more turns on the motor!

Happy trimming!

Tony

Instructions: Step One...Assemble the pile of sticks shown in pic "A" to look like the model airplane shown in pic "B"........
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 08:42:13 AM »

Tony's got it!  The second vid with 3/16th rubber showed a typical torque roll - the rubber is too much for a P'nut with a 6" prop.  I've had best results with 3/32nd to 1/8th rubber and props between 5 to 5.5 inches.  A rubber length of 1.5 is a good place to start, but a 4" prop would be too small - 4.75" should still work OK.

Corsairs bring their own rules when it comes to trimming, but once sorted fly quite nicely (Maxout gets them to fly VERY nicely).  IIRC, the dihedral needs to be increased quite a bit - shallower drop on the inside and increased on the outer panels.  P'nuts are, in any case, more difficlut to teach to fly than larger models.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 87

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »

Corsairs bring their own rules when it comes to trimming, but once sorted fly quite nicely (Maxout gets them to fly VERY nicely).  IIRC, the dihedral needs to be increased quite a bit - shallower drop on the inside and increased on the outer panels.  P'nuts are, in any case, more difficlut to teach to fly than larger models.

Well it's a good airplane...and mine's pretty big. Wink

So yeah, I think we're at the point that it's time to admit that Widdog needs more dihedral. Also, I think a CG check is in order. The 6" prop should be just fine, and backing off to 3/32" rubber will probably take care of the rest.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 06:49:35 PM »

You guys are correct Thanks for the advice. I wish I had taken it a little sooner. (A crash tore off the wing. I Hot glued Gun it back on) Anyway I did apply the advice and it worked! BTW the video was at the end of the trimming and the 1/8 inch rubber motor was tired and getting stretched out to much. However, The video is getting better and I think that there is a real chance this model can fly.

http://youtu.be/FTbcNO6Pf0Y
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 09:06:08 AM »

Sorry been too busy to work on the C 130. I have been working on my flying.( Guillow's kit 902 Skyraider) My flying getting better. So is my "Hat Cam".

http://youtu.be/CNGdBjQntbM
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »

Nice flight!  What was the motor made up with?  I haven't flown my 'raider for the last 2 or three years - have to dust it off...

A Dedicated Convert to:

Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 09:41:41 AM »

Thanks Pit coming from you that means a lot to me.

I used Peck Polymer 3/16 " x 2 length Super Sport Rubber. I used a 6 inch Peck Polymer propeller. I built with 1/20" Contest Balsa Wood. I'm working on kit 902 Bird Dog now. Wow I love this hobby now that I'm starting to make some progress with flying. I should mention that I am working on Mass Launch style rules. They don't care about flying patterns as long as they fly is the main rule. 
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

Hi Widdog
All of the Guillow's in that series (900 I think) fly pretty well.  You did a great job on those models.  I really like that lil Corsair!  You might need a bigger area to fly in w. flights like those (especially w. the Birddog).

Congrats
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: