Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 24, 2018, 08:21:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best Peanut Ever?  (Read 968 times)
High Point
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »

I've not built too many of these little guys, but was just curious as to what would you say was the best peanut model ever?
Plans, construction, beauty, or flight...

Thanks for any input,
Curtis
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 81

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »

For Rubber, CO2, Electric, Indoor, Outdoor?
How about scale detail points plus flight time can equal contest wins?
Impossible to say.
On any given day the one that wins is the best one.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:14:37 PM »

I'm in a different camp.  I say build what you like and trim it out.  Stick with it and it'll be the best.  For me WWI stuff is the best.  Any model built well turns my head.  I have seen Piper Cub peanuts that look so good it makes me really like the plane more.   Guess that doesn't help much?  I can't build just cuz I think the plane is a contest winner.  I gotta like it.
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 11:48:36 PM »

I'm in a different camp.  I say build what you like and trim it out.  Stick with it and it'll be the best.  For me WWI stuff is the best.  Any model built well turns my head.  I have seen Piper Cub peanuts that look so good it makes me really like the plane more.   Guess that doesn't help much?  I can't build just cuz I think the plane is a contest winner.  I gotta like it.

I am in complete agreement with Mooney on this matter.

It is very boring when everyone is flying a Fike or Lacey just because they believe the type is more competive.

There are thousands of full size airplanes,  current and past. Surely there are more than just two types worth building. My view is that there is too much importance placed on flight times but undoubtedly there are many people who will disagree with me.

Speaking as a non-competitive observer.

Paul
orbiteer127
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:13:10 AM »

A while back I asked a very similar question (what is the best flying Walter Mooney plan) after reading comments on hpa  I have come to the same conclusion as Paul. Build what looks good to you. I was told all of the WM plans were tested and tended to fly great so it is just a mater of building the one you like. I have downloaded five or so WM plans but I have a few kits to finish first.

I have  found that if I like a plane or plan it can go a long way. I built a Prairie Bird and it flew great from the start. I liked it so much I made a second one and put floats in it for a rise off water contest and I'm thinking of building a third to work on my tissueing skills.

I say there is nothing wrong with building what you like, you will probably find you have more patiences with a favorite. And there is nothing wrong with having many favorites.

William
wordguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:22:02 AM »

What Roland said.

As it is not at all likely that any means of suspending the effect of air-resistance can ever be devised, a flying-machine must always be slow and cumbersome. . . . But as a means of amusement, the idea of aerial travel has great promise.

— T. Baron Russell, 'A hundred Years Hence,' 1905
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 85

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:25:07 PM »

Well I'm going to go after the flying part. Some fly a LOT better than others. My best one was a Goon...but I'm not recommending it as it was hard to get it to be awesome. A Chambermaid, on the other hand, will just go and go and go. The Pogo is a good one, too. Highly recommended. If you want more than one wing, the Albatross D.III is incredible at any size.

Hosler Fury's look great in the air. Something about doubling as an umbrella even at peanut size. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: