Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2018, 08:56:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Control LINE Combat  (Read 1171 times)
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2009, 07:34:28 PM »

HI All,

This photo sent to me from my Son , it seems the gang out in Vagus held a combat contest this Weekend. this model's engine is in side the wing.

Bob
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Control LINE Combat

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:34:55 AM »

Bob,

It's not about the damage, it's all about the fun. Hope he had a blast!!

Most combat fliers I know would fix that with a bit of CA, a bit of tape and be flying it in the next bout. Grin

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »

It just goes with the territory! Although I only had a few $150 motors when I was active. I always hated it when they met motor to motor that was expensive. The crashed planes were just part of the cost to play the game.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
monolineman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:34:25 PM »

it went into the trash can and i hooked up another one to the lines. and yes we had a load of fun. we had 5 guys for this club combat contest and 5 planes were smashed to bits. our vegas combat rules are simple 60' lines .40 max engine size the winner was a sig sky ray with a fox 40 9x7 prop 15% nitro.
The Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 04:30:10 PM »

Until I was replying to Lester Haury's PM on the MACA message forum, it hadn't struck me, but I did enter five or six Speed Limited Combat events before facing up to the even greater limitations that have been placed on me by visual losses, old age, and a spare tire weighing me down, and yet all of the models I used remained undamaged. This was mostly the 80 mph version favored in Houston, but I also flew a couple of 75 mph events in Oklahoma.

Fifty-five years ago, when I was getting started in combat, our old Half-Fasts and Nobodies flew about 70 mph, and I took just one plane with me to my first contest. I flew three times, and broke the motor mounts on the Nobody in a bad landing, which kept me from flying off for first, as I didn't bring spares. We didn't have bad air to air collisions, or bad damage from hitting the ground when we mixed up our directions inverted.

A volunteer supporter of a Texas Boys Camp named Mike Gibson is using models to bridge some of the gaps to the young people, and Lester got involved in the multi-date series that is a WW2 "Sportsman" combat activity. The rules are why I call it "Sportsman", as they reduce the competitive nature of combat. The series calls for 70 mph as a speed limit, timed at an unusual 15 foot altitude. There were several meetings last spring, and he (Lester) tells me there are more to be scheduled this fall.

Kiwi

* Smiley *
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: