Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 14, 2018, 01:26:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Henry Struck's 'Eaglet'  (Read 1257 times)
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 88

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:20:54 PM »

My wife just finished this new embryo from an old kit I bought some years ago. The wood was rather heavy, and we replaced the material for the fuselage longerons, uprights, and cross pieces. Used the kit ribs, formers, and such. I pulled out a great piece of 1/16 C-grain for the rudder, a major weight saver. It came out a bit heavy, but that 7" NP prop should make up for it. On 100 winds it climbs away rather strongly. Bottom line, appears to be a good design, but there's a lot of scope for weight savings.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Henry Struck's 'Eaglet'
Henry Struck's 'Eaglet'
Henry Struck's 'Eaglet'
Henry Struck's 'Eaglet'
jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »

Great looking model!

I see a string from the wing tip to fuse tail and i am assuming it is for wing pop-off DT, if so my question is how or with what method will the two rubberband wing hold-downs be released for DT?

My apologies if the string is really an external wire antenna for the tiny pilot and his on-board HF radio Wink

john s.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 01:28:54 PM »

Fine job Mrs. Finn!
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »

Jswain, those rubber bands were just used for mockup. Actual flying involves a single rubber band crossed over the snuffer tube in the wing center section.

And now for flight information...

Last night we trimmed it in the backyard. It required a full 3/16" of packing under the stab TE because the fuselage bowed down a little during construction, disrupting the original angles. Once that was resolved, we added some right rudder to get a glide turn going and then added power. It pulled slightly to the left, so right thrust was added, at which point a stall emerged, requiring some downthrust. After this, a couple tests on 50-100 turns looked ok (enough to ROG, actually), so we put it away for the night. This morning we took it to the airport and wound in 400 turns. ROG to a 20 second performance. 800 turns gave a 42 second performance, but the glide circle was inconsistent, so we gave it some more right rudder. Third flight was on 1050 turns, which gave a very dramatic climb right into some very buoyant air. It circled around for a while with very little drift, finally touching down at 2:04. Yup, I do believe this one's a keeper. Hope will probably pursue a longer rubber motor, as the 15" loop of 3/16 only gives 35-40 seconds of power at max turns.

Video later...
bigrip74
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:59:18 PM »

Maxout, nice looking airplane and would love to see the videos.

Bob

If it aint broke dont fix it!
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »

Oh now I feel just brilliant. Embarrassed I posted the flight footage elsewhere, so naturally that must mean it made it here by osmosis or something, right? Cheesy

Well now, let's correct this wrong and share it with the rest of the modeling community. Here's the video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqYlPiMN2cc
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Henry Struck's 'Eaglet'
outofbalance
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »

Hi,

CLASSIC!

Outofbalance
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »

Josh,
Great video of a great job by your new wife.
Looking forward to more.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Jimmy JFlyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »

Maxout, I just saw your mention of this guy in Steven's Maverick thread about how it is a better flyer than the Prairie Bird. Then I see your thread and yeah, what a nice flyer! I am just now starting to go thru this section and wow are there some nice planes.
So is this guy still being sold in kit form?

Looking forward to more adventures from this guy!

Jimmy
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »

Jimmy,

Thanks for the kudos on that. Of course much goes to my wife, who did a great job on this model.

I need to get started with making the plans for this one available. I don't believe copyright is an issue any longer, since it has been out of production for a very long time.
Jimmy JFlyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »

Ah OK. I'll be looking forward to plans on this guy for sure.
Jimmy
OneArm
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »

Maxout,

Do you think the sub-rudders are needed on this design?
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 07:45:39 AM »

OneArm,

Struck (an early FAC member, by the way, and probably one of the inventors of the Embryo class at that!) designed the Eaglet to handle a big prop--a 9". That takes a lot of tail volume. From my experience helping Hope tweak it out, the model definitely benefits from the large tail. Even then, it does require some power restrictions. Hope has a habit of winding until the motor is practically smoking (I swear I felt one of her wound motors once and it was actually warm to the touch), and the resulting vertical climb is a bit too hard to control.

My recommendation is to build as light as you can and limit the power to a loop of 3/16. If you want to go to more power, the stab needs to be bigger (it's a bit small, IMO, at only ~30% of wing area). The rudder design is just fine and doesn't seem to need any tweaks. Just use the lightest 1/16" C-grain you can find.
OneArm
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »

Thanks Maxout, appreciate your response.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 05:20:03 PM »

Still like the bird.How many can you have anyway? Quite an amazing size and able flyer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: