Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2018, 10:01:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: W. Mooney Back Bay Bostonian  (Read 1682 times)
dorme
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 03:06:15 PM »

Also in the Maine slang, "Looks wicked good, by Jesus!"  I'll see you next month in Winthrop.  I'll be in Washington this weekend flying at the National Building Museum.
FS
Ara Dedekian
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »

Flights of the Back Bay Bostonian(Bellanka) went very well. Sunday was an indoor trimming session and times were not recorded. Winds never got past 500 turns.
With 1/8" left thrust to keep it in the gym, 1/32" up elevator, wing incidence as per plan, a 6" white plastic prop, 1.5 degrees down thrust, a 15" loop of 1/8" rubber and 400 turns it would climb quickly to the left up to the ceiling and circle left down to a nice landing. But it was fast!
Most of the Ballankas built by the club came out nose heavy, as did mine. I changed to a 6" Peck grey prop which was almost 2 grams lighter, removed some tail ballast, and used a 15" loop of 3/32" rubber to try and slow it down. That got me into trouble. Not enough power.
Bottom line is, at 17 grams I have a decent outdoor flier.

Ara
Megowcoupe
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »

Hi Ara

You may want to try the Igra (pretty sure it's a Czech prop) prop which I think is a bit lighter and more efficient than the Peck prop.  It's a very similar shape to the old Testor (Tern) prop.  My airplane was banging the ceiling at 14 grams with this prop and 3/32" rubber off an ROG.

Sam
Ara Dedekian
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 11:07:15 AM »

SUCCESS!!

Finally discovered the final trim adjustment to get my Back Bay Bellanka flying properly!
Positive wing incidence!
I started this post with a question about the lack of wing incidence on the plan. I stayed with that and tweaked everything else. Nothing really worked until I placed a 1/16" strip under the leading edge. WOW! It began floating around near the rafters on 400 turns. I ended up with 3/16" up elevator, 1/16" left rudder, tail weight and tip weight for the proper balance and a few degrees down thrust. It definitely wants to fly left but needed a 1/8" left thrust shim to keep it within the space.

The 'space' I refered to above is the Owls Head Transportation Museum in Thomaston, Maine. This was the third Model Airplane event they've held where all types of modeleing is displayed by the Maine clubs. A small area is provided for Free Flight and Indoor RC demos throughout the day. We flew No-Cals, Pussycats, Born Losers, Peanuts etc. The RC guys flew aerobatics with Vapors. Non stop flying for two days! The rubber FF demos held the spectators in awe! We had a couple of stellar performing Delta Darts that we let the kids launch, then gave them a DD kit if they were accompanied by an adult modeler. It payed off; one five year old proclaimed it was the happiest day of life!

Ara
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 02:00:10 PM »

What a great thread!

Having just started in Bostonian, (Dad wanted to teach me the Chicago methods of rubber flite in '53, but I was hell-bent on C/L) I can see I missed a lot. (the fundamentals of heavier-than-air!!!)

Just finished reading the thread, it was entertaining and enlightening. You fellows are so willing to share 'speed secrets', as we used to call 'em...that it is a welcome place to come indeed.
I was looking at the BBB as a possible build, downloaded and printed the plan from Hip pocket on 11" X 17" paper, along with a select few.

I think my Pacific Ace (from a Hip Pocket download) will be my first project, ready to start now. (my package of stuff arrived from A2Z just this morning...balsa sticks, Peck props/shafts, Esaki paper)
Thanks for the guidance.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: