Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 22, 2018, 12:00:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bostonian Biplane Rules?  (Read 846 times)
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 57

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »

Could anyone clarify the Bostonian rules for biplanes please? I understand the minimum weight is 20g but does the chord have to total 3" for both wings or can each wing be 3"? I was looking at Walt Mooney's Neiuport-Beech and it looks like it has the former.

Another way of asking the same question: for a monoplane the maximum area is 48in2. Is this the same for biplanes or would it be double the area?

Thanks,
Jon
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »

I've just had another quick read of the AMA indoor rules ... first time in a long while:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2013-2014IndoorFreeFlight.pdf

As I understand it, biplanes are not specifically mentioned .... just the conditions for additional wings and the higher minimum weight for multiple wing models.
I think that basically it is expected that the higher minimum weight will sufficiently 'nobble' any advantage over a monoplane .... but that's perhaps just the way I read it?
Two wings at 16x3 would be fine by me at 20g ... I suppose Bostonian is starting to appear at other comps than Impington, so perhaps it is time we decided upon a standard set of rules for the UK?
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »

.... I know the AMA indoor rules are for 7g/10g but I adopt these rules as my guide and substitute 14g/20g
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 88

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »

As someone who's flown AMA Bostonian, both 7 g and 14 g...

"Maximum" refers to the dimension of an individual surface. It does not refer to the sum of multiple surfaces. Therefore each wing must not exceed 3" chord, including trim tabs.

Be careful as well, because the stab must not exceed 24 sq in or the model will be considered a biplane and be required to weigh 10 g. Also note that under the AMA rules, any stab or wing area that is enclosed in the fuselage is not counted.

Other things to note: the indoor rules allow unlimited fuselage width, whereas the outdoor rules specify a maximum fuselage width of 2" so as to eliminate lifting bodies.

My personal advice would be to adopt one or the other for the sake of conformity--mainly in terms of avoiding confusion. One of the serious problems that I've seen kick in here in the US is that folks get the rules mixed up and then you have a bunch of models showing up that don't conform to the rules of the day.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:01:06 PM »

Thanks Russ, Josh, that makes sense but I thought I'd check.

I suppose Bostonian is starting to appear at other comps than Impington, so perhaps it is time we decided upon a standard set of rules for the UK?

I was thinking the exact same thing myself Russ.
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:17:40 PM »

Just a sketch at the moment....
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Bostonian Biplane Rules?
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »

That's a very pretty shape. However, it would be legal to make the tail much larger. Up to as large as a wing. Heck, why not make a triplane with really generous spacing between the wings? Like this with a bigger tail:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj311/aquilius-files/Rumpelkiste/Caproni-Pensuti_Triplan.jpg
Of course, yours is much prettier.
Bostonian Biplane Rules?
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 05:41:21 PM »

Thanks Lincoln. This one was just to look cute - it's a long way from the optimum aerodynamically. Which is why it has the sesquiplane lower wing. Also the top deck and open cockpit screen increase the cross section way over what is needed by the rules.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:55:02 PM by Yak52 » Logged
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 88

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »

Just a sketch at the moment....

Looks good, but I would recommend avoiding that split stab shape. It looks pretty, but is very warp prone. Or maybe I'm getting lazier... Cheesy
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »

Good point, thanks. The similar (laminated) tail on my Cub held ok. But I will bear it in mind. Again it's just for looks - and a way of keeping the tail moment as long as I can without interfering with the rudder design.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »

I don't think that shape is too bad as long as it's one piece with a spar going across the whole span.
jym6aw6
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 11:56:26 PM »

Looks really good, Jon. The small wheels add a lot to the cuteness factor, should look great in the air  Smiley .

Are you going with civilian or military colors/markings for this one? And a name?

Jim (6aw6)
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »

Thanks Jim - civilian I think. This one is just an idea at the moment but it may float to the top of my to do list some day  Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: