Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 18, 2019, 04:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 145737 times)
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Kudos: 71

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2014, 09:38:05 AM »

1960s Winter Cup Postal Rules

•   Dates of the competition:  In keeping with the spirit of a winter free flight event, those living in the Southern Hemisphere will fly June-Sept, 2014.   Those living in the Northern Hemisphere will fly in Dec, 2014 through March, 2015.  Models may be flown on more than one day during the allotted time spans.

•   Models must be built from plans or 3-views published between January, 1960 and December, 1969 (inclusive).    Earlier models that were published in the 1960s may be flown.  Models designed in the 1960s that were not published until later may not be flown in this competition.

•   In the event that models are built to small 3-views lacking detail or clarity, the competitor is allowed to improvise for the missing details but the model should be completed with 1960s’ technology and materials.  Models must not be “modernized” with materials that were not in common use in that decade.  For example, covering should be tissue paper, Silkspan or Modelspan.

•   Each competitor is responsible for being able to prove, if challenged, that the model in question was published in the 1960s time frame.  It is suggested that such documentation be in hand before any given model is constructed for this competition.

•   Models must not include VIT, folding wings, or other functions and materials common in modern F1G practice. (No carbon fiber, Kevlar, Mylar)

•   The D/T function should, if possible, be provided with whatever was used on the original for the timing function.  A mechanical timer may only be used if there is shown to exist, documentation that such a timer is appropriate to the airframe in question during the 1960s or if a burning fuse type is illegal in your locale.  Viscous timers are also permitted.

•   Models originally designed for 90gram airframes with 10gram motors may be lightened for this competition.

•   Each competitor may fly up to (3) three models but may enter only once.

•   Models must weigh in excess of 70.0 grams less motor.

•   Maximum weight of the motor lubricated is 10.0 grams.

•   Each competitor is on their honor to fly a model to the weight requirements.  The timesheet shall include an initialed statement that the weight of the airframe and the motor(s) used in the official flights meet the weight requirements.

•   Models shall be hand launched.   Jumping is allowed.

•   Each competitor is entitled to (5) five official flights with a maximum of 120 seconds for each official flight.

•   Each competitor shall declare to his/her timekeeper that an official flight is being attempted.

•   The timekeeper shall record the duration of the first attempt of the official flight unless the flight is unsuccessful.

•   An unsuccessful attempt shall be any flight of less than 20 seconds.

•   A second unsuccessful attempt at the official flight shall be recorded as a zero time flight.

•   The timekeeper should be positioned near the point of launching and may not follow the model.

•   If (5) five maxes are recorded by a competitor, additional official flight(s) shall be flown with maximum flight durations increasing in 30 second increments, 150, 180, 210, 240 seconds, etc.

•   The competitor and timekeeper shall sign their timesheet and e-mail a scanned image of same to the Contest Director, Mark Braunlich or another delegated to fill the CD role in the event that would be necessary.  Do NOT post your official times in this thread or elsewhere on HPA.

•   The three top placing competitors will be awarded modest trophies or plaques provided by myself.  All entrants are encouraged to engage in friendly competition, make new friends and above all: have fun.

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »

The poll for the 1960s Coupe d'Hiver postal is closed and locked.

Results
Yes:   22
No:      6
Maybe: 5

Please continue the discussion, posting of plans and 3-views and photos here.  The amended rules are at the top of this thread so everyone can readily find them.  
Thanks again for all the interest.

Mark
jose
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »

Hello friends, I want to get involved where lanos thanks José. Sorry my bad English translations use...
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »

José,
You are very welcome to participate in the postal.

You may like this 1967 Argentine Coupe.

Can a Spanish speaking member here please help José translating his questions?

Thanks in advance.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:58:10 AM »

Here's Cleo d'Hiver from Aero Modeller, March, 1964.

This is simple enough for anyone to have a go.  Wink  You don't need the undercarriage for this comp.

Mark
Broken Strands
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:11:09 PM »

George Batiuk's CdH from Dec. 1969 VTO
Richard Ewing
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:43:09 AM »

Here is an interesting design I found while looking for information on Stanislaw Zurad’s coupe:

I found it in the magazine: modellflygnytt  5 1968
 at: http://www.modellflygnytt.se/gamla.htm
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »

I like this Lou DiAblas by Bernard Pradier, Aero Modeller, January, 1962.

Mark
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:37:47 AM »

I finally finished Auntie Freez and she came out at 69.2 grams. I'm very pleased with the build and if anyone wants a simple coupe to build that is suprisingly modern in looks (pre-carbon Fiber days that is) this is it...pics
dosco
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »

I finally finished Auntie Freez and she came out at 69.2 grams. I'm very pleased with the build and if anyone wants a simple coupe to build that is suprisingly modern in looks (pre-carbon Fiber days that is) this is it...pics

Nice.

I was wondering if you could explain how you fabricated the counterweight on your prop assembly?

Regards-
Dave
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 11:04:13 AM »

Looks nice. I might do one after a quick Baron Knight but my AF drawing has a square fuselage. Can we infer from the shaft loop that you will be winding without a tube?!
Bill
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »

I always (!) use a blast tube but for testing I wind without one and besides, wire hubs just don't look COOL without a loop.
tctele
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »

Superb Grin
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed the build because we've been inside for most of this winter and have all my stuff built/repaired/trashed or just plain drooled over and ready to go for the up coming season. I have been thinking about drawing up a Gloster E.28 prototype jet for a Blue Flame Blaster I've been hoarding for awhile after seeing it in the London Science Museum. So right now I have 2 of everything I plan on flying this year as I don't intend on coming across the pond and just staying here and FLYING. We hold building sessions every Sat. at a local hobby shop in the winter and it is refreshing to see 3-4 youngsters chopping wood and dreaming just like I do now. I'm trying to get a team of 3-4 guys to build coupes for this postal to represent Cleveland, Ohio once again like the old Balsa Butcher's did. You know those guys? Korda, Lanzo and Reich? I'm in touch with guys who flew with them and the stories just keep the flame burning bright.
jose
Bronze Member

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »

Hello friends, any manufactured the Baron Knight? I could build one. Do you think that will fly right?
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »

Well, I've cut out my ribs. It won contests back in the day.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »

I've never heard a bad word about it and it is simple to build. During the first 3 years after it came out, a lot of people flew them and then copied it into their own designs.
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »

Beautiful Auntie Freez' Dave!  Broken Strands posted the plan at reply #214 of the original thread but here's a slightly bigger version as published in the July, 1964 Aero Modeller for those who may like to build their own.  Those who may be reading this thread for the first time should know there is an earlier thread for this same postal in this same section here at HPA with dozens of plans and 3-views of suitable models for this competition.
See:   http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=16042.0

Mark
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 12:54:31 PM »

I received the (very well drawn) plan for the PAMELA from isismk2 this last Saturday (THANKS, guy Smiley) - really surprised at the SHORT transit time of four days.  I'll prolly start on it as soon as I get the dimer that's on the board finished.

Too much time on my hands the last couple of months with either rain+high wind or sunny+force 12 wind and a building slump.  Can't stay focused for more than 30 minutes/day, so I try to make the best of it.  A MAJOR confuser crash this morning has me busy recovering data - so far nothing seems to be really lost...

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 01:51:01 PM »

Hello friends, any manufactured the Baron Knight? I could build one. Do you think that will fly right?

I built one about 25 years ago-which is still around (but no longer owned by me)-it was my first Coupe. I initially flew it with the single blade prop as per the plan (single bladed props were fashionable during that era of Coupe) but later changed it to two bladed. It flew well-but was better on the glide than on the climb. Of course that could have been due to my inexperience with the class, and the rubber of the time (FAI black and Champion)

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Bingo Fuel
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »

isismk2  So ya want a Cleveland, Ohio team?  I'm in Willowick so count me in. I never did a coupe before so I will build something simple like the Baron Knight  Coupe or the 7A-05. I need to get in touch with you. You can show me the ropes.  I sure hope the next winter is a bit nicer than this one has been.  I can't imagine trying to fly in winter like this one.   Bingo
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »

Good Gentles all:

I have up-loaded a drawing to the Plans Gallery for Geo. Batiuk Sr.'s "CdH" as cited in the above post by Broken Strands. There are a few dimensions missing, so I did my best, but I think I've got it pretty close.

When Ratz approves it, please go have a look and let me know if you have any suggestions to make it a better drawing.

The drawing is full size, so just take the .pdf down to your local FEDEX/Kinkos and get to work! (or, better yet, have Ratz do the print for you!)

Edit: I noticed two mistakes on the drawing, I have uploaded the revised drawing and Ratz has updated the drawing. If you down-loaded an earlier version, you may want to re-down load the most up-to-date version.

Edit (again) : Sorry, guys... It's Friday afternoon... had to make one more change. Look for Rev 'B"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:48:20 PM by Iceman1007 » Logged

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »

Much appreciated Iceman.  The plan looks great!

Anyone notice that the Auntie Freez' plan calls for 1/8" sheet ribs?   We will assume that's an error, right Dave?

Mark
skyrocket
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:42 PM »

NAH!!!!....the 3-view I worked from said 1/32" sht ribs....
Hey Bingo Fuel...I live in Mentor, off rt.306...who are you man?...I belong to the Cleveland Free Flight Society and we fly duration and FAC...why don't you come out to Parma Hobby Shop on a Sat. morning and meet us?...we don't bite (or maybe some do) and we like to meet new fliers all the time...ONLY Free Flight spoken!!!
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 07:28:58 AM »

Well, the QC guy caught me! (Thanks, Rich!)

I read the stab chord as 2.5. It is supposed to be 3.5. I'll go in and make the change in a little while.

That's why they invented checkers, right?

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: