Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2018, 10:43:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 139452 times)
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: April 03, 2018, 06:49:49 AM »

Unfortunately both the MichEt and the Kim were designed in the 50s (prior to Jan 57), sorry and all that!!

Peter
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Kudos: 67

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: June 01, 2018, 02:24:16 PM »

June 1, marks the start of the 4 month window for logging official flights for this postal for those flying in the Southern Hemisphere.  The window will close September 30, 2018.

Mark
gman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: June 01, 2018, 04:28:34 PM »

I'm struggling to find "Kim" in the SAM 1066 plan list. Am I missing something or is it somewhere else? I'm always on the lookout for pretty Vintage Coupe designs. Peetee, is as ever, right, this and the Etienvre are most definitely not classic.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: June 02, 2018, 06:15:11 AM »

Gavin, I am pretty sure that Roger Newman has a copy. I have one somewhere given to me by David Beales, back in the days when Coupe Ancienne was in it's infancy!

Peter
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: September 01, 2018, 09:54:46 AM »

REMINDER

One month remains for those flying in the Southern Hemisphere.  Get your flights in.

Good luck to all concerned.

Mark

Mark
Soc
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: September 23, 2018, 01:04:16 AM »

60's C d'H down under

There has not been any news on HPA of 60's C d'H activity here in Melbourne for some time.
That does not mean we have lost interest. Mike Glaister and I both started new models for 2017.
Mike built a Ferion (definitely one of my favourites in the 60s) and refurbished his Deuzios. Pics 1 & 2 below
I started an Ailbass inspired by the May '86 Aeromodeller cover, but put it aside when to 2017 season was postponed.
We have all been bitten by the E36 bug, and I wanted to design and build something a bit out of the rut.

I made some minor structural changes to Ailbass, mostly to the fuselage. Some stress points have been eliminated and the nose area, where all rubber models get a lot of handling, has been reinforced.
Wing mounting is by traditional tongue and box rather than Jossien's scheme or dowels in tubes.
I always liked the knock off characteristics of tongue and box. Pics 4 & 5 below.
I also extended the cabin by a bay to allow room for a pilot and observer as in Pic 6. but not yet installed.

The weather this winter season has not been very Free Flight friendly.
There were some reasonable days in June but Mike was still sorting the Ferion and my Ailbass was far from finished.
July and most of August passed by with no good days that we could go out on.
Then in the later part of August there was some good weather and Mike got in 4 flights.
I finished Ailbass early in September and waited for a reasonable day to fly.
Test glides and a few hand turns in the local park were very encouraging.
It seemed to need some turn trim, so I keyed in a few mm of right rudder off-set, but otherwise it flew off the board.
Finally last Friday looked feasible so we went out quite early.
Test flights showed that the Ailbass needed some packing under the tailplane LE and a tad less rudder.
Mike put in his last flight, then I made two flights with the Ailbass.
Quite inspiring and well worth all the extra effort compared to a more conventional design.
At this point the top of the wing tongue box came loose - I hadn't allowed for significant down loads on the wing tips.
The breeze was rising but still flyable so I put in a third flight with the dependable Dwarf Dip.

The forecast (which is amazingly accurate these days) indicates Tuesday or Wednesday will be good while next weekend has possibilities,
so I should get some scores for the last two flights before the end of the month.

Fixing the failed box will be fiddly but it may be possible without major surgery.
It would be very pleasing to make the remaining flights with Ailbass.

Sean

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:18:04 AM by Soc » Logged
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: September 23, 2018, 12:33:22 PM »

Thanks for the report and photos Sean.  Great stuff.

Mark
Soc
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: September 29, 2018, 02:02:49 AM »

60's C d'H down under - continued

Well I managed to extract the box through one side of the Ailbass fuselage without major surgery.
I glued it back together and reinforced it with thread binding, especially in the centre, then replaced it.
Tuesday turned windy but Wednesday's forecast remained friendly so we went out.

I've included an aerial view of our field. Its 1 mile square unimproved volcanic plain used for grazing but not crops,
which is why we have year around access. The grey speckles are basalt boulders of varying size, mostly buried.
As you can see there are numerous trees and bushes which we usually manage to avoid.

We set up at the red spot on the map.
What we thought would be an easy exercise in nice conditions turned into one of those free flight adventures.
It became clear that Ailbass was longitudinally unstable. Launched at low angle, it flew into the ground.
The earlier flights were fantastic flukes !
The CG needed to be moved forward ~10 mm at least.
There is a 12 gm slab of lead but I have to pull the sheeting of the bottom of the fuselage to get to it, a job for another day.

So I readied the Dwarf Dip and launched in spite of the fact that the breeze had changed direction from west to east.
We should really have moved to a safer spot.
There were some scattered trees down wind and the model managed to fetch up in one of these well behind the one it was first obscured by.
It took some time to find using the confusing signals from the tracker as a guide,
but eventually I spotted it at what seemed like a reachable height.
It was in the tree just above the green spot.

Had Mike packed our de-treeing pole ?
I started back to the launch point and saw that Mike was on his way out carrying something - the pole !
It turned out that the pole was just long enough ( ~ 9 meters ) to reach and I managed to slide the model off its perch only to have it fall into a thorn bush at the base of the tree.
This resulted in quite a few punctures but no major tears so a change of motors would be sufficient for another flight.

Some other free flight regulars had arrived by now, so we packed our gear and moved to the spot they favour at the blue spot
The final flight was uneventful and easily retrieved.

So there you have it.

Sean

Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: October 02, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »

With the arrival of October, the 2017-2018 postal is concluded.  Participation was reduced this year, not sure why.  I will wait a few days to see if there are any forthcoming flight times coming in and will notify all here of the results at the weekend.

Thank you to all who made the effort.

Mark

Mark
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: October 02, 2018, 03:58:39 PM »

Never got the chance weather-wise-its been a rotten winter in NZ-and early spring has been no improvement. The Deuzio had one trimming outing in what was virtually a bog (saturated dairy farm on the outskirts of Fielding) but a few issues discovered on field required off field sorting....!   Next year......         [FWIW the Deuzio displayed a quite impressive climb on its initial trimming flights....less said about the glide the better...(at this stage)..]

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: October 04, 2018, 12:32:44 PM »

Awards are ready!

Mark
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: October 04, 2018, 06:21:03 PM »

Top stuff as usual Mark, Sorry I couldn't participate this year but well done for another well run Postal.  Would like a chance next year if possible?
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: October 05, 2018, 04:02:22 PM »

I also hope for another chance. Lets try for 2019 ok?
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: October 05, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »

Those look very nice Mark
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: October 07, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »

Everyone,
I am still waiting for one score card to come in.
Thank you in advance for your patience.

Mark Braunlich

Mark
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: October 08, 2018, 09:36:29 AM »

Results for the 2017-2018 postal are in.
See attachment.

Congratulations, once again, to Sean O'Conner on his win.  The scores were closely grouped this year.
Competitors placing 1st through 3rd, please let me have your mailing address so I can mail your awards. 

My thanks to all the competitors and timers who participated.  With six competitors (all flying in pairs), I would of course love to see more participation!   Let's see if we can improve on the participation level for 2018-2019.  Maybe each of the pairs flying in the competition just ended can find another modeler to join in the fun.   It really is stimulating to get out of the house and do some flying on a fine winter day!

The rules will be the same for 2018-2019 but I will re-post them here all the same.   Northern Hemisphere modelers will once again fly 1 December through 31 March.

Onward and upward, as they say.

Mark
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: October 08, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »

Hello Mark
I sent my scores 25 March. Not to worry - they wouldn't have changed the winners!
Bill
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: October 08, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »

My apologies to Bill Dennis for not including him in the results table above.  The amended results are attached here.  It appears e-mailed scores of two UK modellers went into my junk mail box this past Spring.   Will try to get that corrected for the future.

Mark
Duncan McBride
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: October 08, 2018, 08:58:39 PM »

Well done.  I'm in for next year.  I've had plans for Alain Landeau's Pamyscaph for years, and always admired the elegant lines.  Time to get started.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: October 09, 2018, 03:15:11 AM »

My apologies to Bill Dennis for not including him in the results table above.  The amended results are attached here.  It appears e-mailed scores of two UK modellers went into my junk mail box this past Spring.   Will try to get that corrected for the future.
Thanks Mark. I'll join in again next year as long as I still have my My Coupe!
USch
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: October 09, 2018, 03:23:32 AM »

I too hope to be with you all next year, maybe even with a different model Huh

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: October 09, 2018, 05:37:22 AM »

Nice work Sean!

Tim
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: October 09, 2018, 06:11:33 AM »

I definitely intend to have another go at the next edition of the Postal. Good fun, everyone should try it.

Don
gman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: October 09, 2018, 08:05:58 AM »

To Don, Bill, Ray and any other intending "1960s Coupe postees" a reminder that La Grande Coupe de Birmingham on Dec 2nd at North Luffenham has it's usual sub class for these delightful planes. Bubbly and a very appropriate repro GPB cartoon to the winner.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: October 09, 2018, 12:02:52 PM »

To Don, Bill, Ray and any other intending "1960s Coupe postees" a reminder that La Grande Coupe de Birmingham on Dec 2nd at North Luffenham has it's usual sub class for these delightful planes. Bubbly and a very appropriate repro GPB cartoon to the winner.
Hi Gavin. Yes, well aware. I won it two years ago and you tried to award it to me last year but I had to point out I had changed the prop in my My Coupe for one of yours! Therein lies the problem. The postal has been so successful for me that I have 'moved on' and now fly 'modern' designs with, crucially, better props and less drag. The postal flights I now make are out of contest and it isn't really worth me making a model just for that. Thus the postal has eaten itself! It's a shame because my latest coupe looks like all the other identikit modern designs. Bring back the cross section rule!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: