Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2018, 05:25:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal  (Read 142136 times)
tctele
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: October 09, 2018, 06:40:06 PM »

This looks a bit bonkers not sure of the date found in the 69/70 nAeromodeller annual. How the prop was done I have no idea. I am very tempted to do this one, something different
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal
RayE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: October 09, 2018, 06:51:47 PM »

I'll be there Gavin and hope to improve my position in the postal as well, assuming Mark runs it again.
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Kudos: 71

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: October 10, 2018, 12:01:46 AM »

Yes Ray, it’s on for 2018-2019.  Northern Hemisphere window for official flights is 1 Dec through 31 March.

Mark
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: October 11, 2018, 06:18:41 PM »

Thank you for another year Mark.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: October 11, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »

Yes thank you for your hard work, now lets go beat the bushes and flush out a few more coupe fliers.
Soc
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: October 26, 2018, 01:54:31 AM »

Now that forum is up again I can respond to the announced results.

Thank you Mark for your organization and your decision to continue for yet another year.
Thanks to the other participants for being in it.

I was quite surprised and of course pleased, and even a bit alarmed to see that I got the highest score once again, especially given the last minute scramble required to get together any score at all.

To those of you who are thinking about participating, especially in the UK, who have plenty of regular Coupe comps to fly in,
I'd like to say that while these 60s designs may may not keep up with the current state of the art in still air fly-offs, many of them are very competitive in ordinary rounds.
Thus, thanks to the flexibility of Mark's rules you can get a score together by flying a 60s C d'H in the nice early rounds of a scheduled comp and perhaps switching to a hotter model when the conditions require it. A couple of bouts like that and maybe one dedicated flight and you have 5 eligible flight times.

Thanks again Mark.

Sean
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 02:25:56 AM by Soc » Logged
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: October 26, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »

"especially in the UK, who have plenty of regular Coupe comps to fly in"

Sean
But not in the middle of winter, when the Postal is on, which is its attraction and benefit, to get us active out of season.
Regards
Don
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: November 02, 2018, 11:56:07 AM »

Please read:

1960s  Winter Cup Postal Rules:

•   Dates of the Fifth competition:  In keeping with the spirit of a winter free flight event, those living in the Northern Hemisphere will fly in Dec, 2018 through March,2019.  
          Those living in the Southern Hemisphere will fly June-Sept, 2019.    Models may be flown on more than one day during the allotted time spans.

•   Models must be built from plans or 3-views published between January, 1960 and December, 1969 (inclusive).    Earlier models that were published in the 1960s may be
          flown.  Models designed in the 1960s that were not published until later may not be flown in this competition.

•   In the event that models are built to small 3-views lacking detail or clarity, the competitor is allowed to improvise for the missing details but the model should be completed
          with 1960s’ technology and materials.  Models must not be “modernized” with materials that were not in common use in that decade.  For example, covering should be
          tissue paper, Silkspan or Modelspan.

•   Each competitor is responsible for being able to prove, if challenged, that the model in question was published in the 1960s time frame.  It is suggested that such
         documentation be in hand before any given model is constructed for this competition.

•   Models must not include VIT, folding wings, or other functions and materials common in modern F1G practice. (No carbon fiber, Kevlar, Mylar)

•   The D/T function should, if possible, be provided with whatever was used on the original for the timing function.  A mechanical timer may only be used if there is shown to
          exist, documentation that such a timer is appropriate to the airframe in question during the 1960s or if a burning fuse type is illegal in your locale.  Viscous timers are also
          permitted.

•   Models originally designed for 90gram airframes with 10gram motors may be lightened for this competition.

•   Each competitor may fly up to (3) three models but may enter only once.

•   Models must weigh in excess of 70.0 grams less motor.

•   Maximum weight of the motor lubricated is 10.0 grams.

•   Each competitor is on their honor to fly a model to the weight requirements.  The timesheet shall include an initialed statement that the weight of the airframe and the    
          motor(s) used in the official flights meet the weight requirements.

•   Models shall be hand launched.   Jumping is allowed.

•   Each competitor is entitled to (5) five official flights with a maximum of 120 seconds for each official flight.

•   Each competitor shall declare to his/her timekeeper that an official flight is being attempted.

•   The timekeeper shall record the duration of the first attempt of the official flight unless the flight is unsuccessful.

•   An unsuccessful attempt shall be any flight of less than 20 seconds.

•   A second unsuccessful attempt at the official flight shall be recorded as a zero time flight.

•   The timekeeper should be positioned near the point of launching and may not follow the model.

•   If (5) five maxes are recorded by a competitor, additional official flight(s) shall be flown with maximum flight duration increasing in 30 second increments, 150, 180, 210,
         240 seconds, etc.

•   The competitor and timekeeper shall sign their time-sheet and e-mail a scanned image of same to the Contest Director, Mark Braunlich or another delegated to fill the CD
          role in the event that would be necessary.  Do NOT post your official times in this thread or elsewhere on HPA.

•   The three top placing competitors will be awarded modest plaques provided by myself.  All entrants are encouraged to engage in friendly competition, make new  friends
          and above all: have fun.

Mark
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: November 02, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »

Sure am happy for another opportunity . Thanks
angel1
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: November 12, 2018, 04:48:34 AM »

Hi Mark,
This is the first time I have posted to this topic, however I have participated in three of the four contests so far with varying degrees of success. As you may know, Soc (Sean) and I fly together most times and act as as one another’s timekeeper most times but especially during the ‘60’s Coupe contest(s). I would first like to reiterate Sean’s thanks to you for running the contest, it gets us out of bed on chilly winter mornings!

My main purpose in posting this is to enquire if the Builder of the Model rule applies for the ‘60’s Postal, it is not specifically mentioned in the Rules . I do this because we have another flyer in our club who would like to compete and I have a Deuzio to spare that I can donate to him to advance the cause!

On the subject of appropriate models, I would recommend the Ferion, a great design by Guy Guidici. Soc thinks it is a  great design and I have to agree, it is a beautiful looking model, which is why I chose to build it in the first place. It was a little more difficult to trim than the Deuzio(s) but the climb is spectacular, almost as good as Sean’s Dwarf Dip and better than either of my Deuzio. ( Why I dropped three flights flying this model is another matter!)

Anyway enough for now, looking forward to your ruling on the BoM question

Mike (Angel1)
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: November 12, 2018, 10:07:40 AM »

angel1,

Thanks for asking.  There is no Builder of the Model rule for this competition.  I think in the past we have had some competitors flying ancient, handed-down models and I think that's fine.  The more PEOPLE we can get competing, the better.  Hopefully your prospect will become infected with the fun and consider building his own.

I've been thinking maybe we should have a separate award for first-timers in this postal....any thoughts?  Maybe if we have at least three first-timers I will award the high time a separate plaque or other memento.

Cheeers,

Mark
angel1
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #611 on: November 12, 2018, 05:17:53 PM »

Thanks for the ruling Mark, my oldest (and heaviest) Deuzio has now found a new home!

Soc and I are now competing with one another building new models for the 2019 Winter. He is well ahead of me (at the moment) as he has already built fuselages for Matherat's "Ooosh! and Lennart Flodstrom's "Baron Hunter". I am also following the Matherat theme with a design which appeared in the 69-71 Aeromodeller Annual (p49) - don't know the name as yet. Similar in many ways to most of Matherat's designs of the period, it seems to be the precursor to a theme he continued to persue, culminating in the much later "Les Trumeaux".
One of the designs in this series was "A et B", featured in an article in  "Modele Reduit d'Avion" dated September 1971, but which was actually built in 1967 (Matherat mentions this in the text of the article). I would like to include A et B in the summer building programme, but am hesitant to do so as it is currently ineligible.

To resolve this issue, does anyone have a three-view of this model prior to the cut-off date?

Angel1

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #612 on: November 12, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »

Does anyone know if George Perryman's Fludy Coop Speckled Bird was within this period?  It was built to the min cross section rule.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #613 on: November 15, 2018, 02:02:52 PM »

I was saddened because it came along too late. So sorry.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: November 15, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »

I'm tempted to finally build a George Batiuk CdH from the 1969 VTO. I did the CAD drawing a while ago, but never built the airplane. The plan is in the Gallery:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=6234

However, the 3-view I used did not have any information about the prop or prop mechanism.

Huh

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: November 15, 2018, 03:43:46 PM »

One of the guys here  goes by the name D\T has built one and flies it, maybe he'll see this and give you the info 
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: November 15, 2018, 03:52:58 PM »

One of the guys here  goes by the name D\T has built one and flies it, maybe he'll see this and give you the info 

thanks, I'm wondering about what the rules are if something like the prop and mechanism are not specified?

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: November 15, 2018, 04:02:51 PM »

It's Don, who I had a nice pint with at lunchtime!
D/T
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: November 15, 2018, 04:47:49 PM »

I'm tempted to finally build a George Batiuk CdH from the 1969 VTO. I did the CAD drawing a while ago, but never built the airplane. The plan is in the Gallery:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=6234

However, the 3-view I used did not have any information about the prop or prop mechanism.

Huh

Starduster
Yes it was me. I built mine from the VTO 3 view from here. The only info on the 3 view for the prop is that it is 14 inch dia x 22 inch pitch. In the spirit of the Coupe postal one can infill using details appropriate to the era, so my prop is helical pitch, with a standard tension stop. Blades were carved from 3/8" sheet. The model flies well generally, possibly shows some dutch roll. It is a simple and practical design, although I do wonder why George thought the tailplane needed 5 spars!

regards
Don
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: November 15, 2018, 07:17:38 PM »

I do wonder why George thought the tailplane needed 5 spars!

regards
Don

Well, because 5 is one better than 4, obviously!

Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: November 25, 2018, 06:14:45 PM »

The 2018-2019 competition for competitors in the Northern Hemisphere begins Saturday 1 December, 2018 and runs through the end of March, 2019.

Competitors in the Southern Hemisphere will compete June through September, 2019.

If you're building for the coming competition, please post some photos here. 

Thank you!!

Mark
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: