Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 16, 2018, 06:00:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Photo of Aeroflyte Von Baron  (Read 1949 times)
spoonfork
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »

Hi There,

I'm new to this website. I recently started thinking of my child hood and the fun things I used to do. One of which was Control Line!
My first C/L plane was by an Australian company called Aeroflyte.
It was as 46cm profile Bi-plan called the Von Baron. I had a cox 049 on it. I spent ages building it and never every flew it because
I could never get the cox to run. I ended up moving to and Aeroflyte cougar with a little 1.5cc Chinese Diesel (Silver Swallow/Yin Yan) then a Stunter (Can't remember)
and eventually left the hobby.

Wondering if anyone has built this little plane and have some photos to share?

Many Thanks

skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »

Spoonfork,
       Welcome to the forum. I haven't seen any pictures of the Von Baron by Aeroflyte but we do
have the plan in out "Builders Plan Gallery":
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=3571&mode=search

Skyraider
spoonfork
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 06:12:53 AM »

Many Thanks.
I downloaded it and think I might just give it a go.
Looking forward to getting dizzy and collapsing on the floor.
steve111
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:35:20 PM »

Hi Spoonfork, ask and you shall receive!  Looks like we had the same start in CL, as my first model was also a Von Baron, back in 1979.  My first attempted flight resulted in a wingover straight after takeoff and a rekitting on the other side of the circle.  I eventually rebuilt it and learnt to fly it, but the Cox 049 in it was always a pain. The one in the photos is a replica I built a couple of years ago.  The engine is a very nice Babe Bee, which starts straight away and runs really well - much better than my original one. The model also flies much better than I remember the original did - particularly if you remove the dorky undercarriage.  Multiple consecutive loops are quite feasible!

Steve
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Photo of Aeroflyte Von Baron
spoonfork
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 04:44:26 AM »

Wow Thank you so much you've made my day.
I downloaded the plans and went to office works to get it printed out.
Anymore photo's would be much appreciated.  Grin
steve111
Copper Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 07:47:30 PM »

Here you go then.  Just to prove it really works, this is a photo of a mate having a fly of it.

I actually don't think they're such a great trainer, as they're not all that robust.  Also, being a biplane, they don't glide very well, so if the engine quits at an inopportune time, the model's likely to come down hard and be damaged.  The engine mount of mine is currently broken off, and it's got a few glued-up cracks.  I'm still glad I built it though, and it might be just about time I made another.
spoonfork
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 10:50:21 PM »

Here you go then.  Just to prove it really works, this is a photo of a mate having a fly of it.

I actually don't think they're such a great trainer, as they're not all that robust.  Also, being a biplane, they don't glide very well, so if the engine quits at an inopportune time, the model's likely to come down hard and be damaged.  The engine mount of mine is currently broken off, and it's got a few glued-up cracks.  I'm still glad I built it though, and it might be just about time I made another.

Since I haven't flown for almost 28 years, I guess I'm pretty much a beginner then.
My days of flying as a kid was limited to Wing Overs and the occasional loop. If I ever get the thing up in the air I'll probably go around a few times and if I don't crash, then it's going to be hung up in the garage. Thanks Again for the Photo's, they really bring back memories!

Matt13
Copper Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 05:51:18 AM »

I grew up on Aeroflyte kits, one of the 049's that we flew was the HumBug, even my sister built and flew one. I've started to gather old bits and pieces and plans to build them again, mainly because I crashed a lot while learning to fly, and want to see just how well they could have flown. So I have down loaded the HumBug plans, and dusted off an original set of plans for the Hurricane. What could possibly go wrong?
Icarus
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 01:57:26 AM »

I have very fond memories of the von Baron. I built one in 1976 (as close as I can recall) and spent long hours giving it a sun ray and checkerboard red and white paint job that I had seen on a Pitts Special. It was the first plane I had that actually flew, I previously built an Aeroflyte Taipan trainer but could never get my Grandfather's OS MAX II 2.5cc engine to go! Still got it, it has never run. I wish I still had the 1950s Spitfire that the engine came out of!

The Cox .049 that I bought from a school mate ($7 changed hands I think) was super reliable - I don't know what model it was but I think it came out of the Cox PT 19 plastic ready to fly trainer. It had a red rubber spinner that pushed onto what looked like half a universal joint for use in a boat. Started first time every time.

I had some initial trouble getting the von Baron in the air, until in frustration my friend launched it overhand like a javelin, which obviously gave it the airspeed it needed to get going! It never would r.o.g. and we launched it that way every time after. I flew it on the Dacron lines that were supplied with the kit, about 25 foot I think, but never attempted much in the way of aerobatics, was just happy to have something that finally went around in circles above the ground.

I was interested to see the comments about the cracked motor mount, the motor mount snapping off was a constant issue and was I think what finally saw the plane stuck in the back of the shed while I moved on to other things. I always thought a light sheet metal mount on either side of the fuselage would be a better approach than the mount supplied in the kit and illustrated on the plans on this website. Every landing ended up with the plane on its nose eventually and most of my landings were one pointers anyway so returning home with the motor still on the plane was a rarity. To a 14 year old, it got discouraging!

Anyway, I have the parts cut out for a new one at the moment and have a Cox .049 I bought about 1990 somewhere, and am ready to try again. Will post photos when it is done. I wish I have photos of my first von Baron, I never thought to take any at the time!

Richard
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 09:14:21 AM »

hi Richard,

I find that all of the early OS MAX engines are real sweathearts. Easy to start, plenty of power & easy to tune.

If yours won't run, there are a couple of things to check.
Has it ever been taken apart? It's possible to reassemble them with the piston the wrong way around.
Are the head & backplate gaskets still intact? Leaks make it very difficult.
Is there a wad of goop in the NVA.

Plans are on here for both versions of the Aeroflyte Spitfire. They fly pretty well with an OS 15.

Glad you are getting the Von Baron up & running.

Greg

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
JEM
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »

I thought this might stir up a few memories. Kit box artwork restoration by tyro185.
Icarus
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the comments on the OS Max. To be honest, it's in a pretty poor state. The gaskets are gone and there is at least one non-original screw on the backplate. Blame me as a 13 year old, not my grandfather who was a talented engineer who designed the welding guns used at the Holden factory here in Adelaide (I have the model welding gun presented to him by GMH as a token of their appreciation). I also have a .35 c.i. OS Max III of his which I got later in life so is in much better condition. As he died in 1970 I am guessing it dates from early '60s and looks looks it has never been run. One day I will start it but as an art teacher and musician I value my fingers and that prop really scares me!
greggles47
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 10:30:16 PM »

Hi Richard,

Pity but it sounds like the MAX 15 is going to be a glass case job. While gaskets & screws are available or can be made, it's probably not worth the effort making it a runner. Nicely cleaned up and sitting in pride of place would be a good testimonial to your grandfather. Modern .15s are easy to get, easy to start  and more powerful (not that you need extra power in a Spit.

The MAX 35 is a very good motor for an appropriate sized stunter, if it has little or no running a careful run-in is in order using low nitro fuel with at least 25% castor. Once run in you can drop the castor to about 20% and it'll last forever.

For finger protection, I use a short length of A/C insulating rubber (from Clarkes) wrapped in cloth bandage. No cuts there.

Greg

There must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief,
There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief
spoonfork
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »

I thought this might stir up a few memories. Kit box artwork restoration by tyro185.

Thanks this is great.
I might go to the printers and get this made.  Smiley
Icarus
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 12:48:18 AM »

Here is my finished Von Baron. I did the last of the painting this morning, so have not flown it yet.

I painted it in a scheme based on the Sopwith Snipe of William Barker when he won his Victoria Cross in 1918. I know that it probably should be in German colours, but the Von Baron always looked more Sopwith or B.E. than Fokker or Albatros to me.

I added a few modifications:
1. I made a simple motor mount out of brass sheet. As I said in a an earlier post, the version I made in the 1970s kept losing the motor mount. On this one I made the mount I always thought it should have.
2. Steve111 called the undercarriage 'dorky' and the more I thought about it the more I agreed, so I made a more appropriate one. It will make landings tricky but mine are usually one pointers anyway (hence the broken engine mount!).
3. I missed cutting out the slot for the tail skid so I made one out of a skewer.
4. I added a machine gun. Couldn't send Major Barker up there unarmed, could I?

Cheers

Richard
spoonfork
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 02:16:56 AM »

Here is my finished Von Baron. I did the last of the painting this morning, so have not flown it yet.

I painted it in a scheme based on the Sopwith Snipe of William Barker when he won his Victoria Cross in 1918. I know that it probably should be in German colours, but the Von Baron always looked more Sopwith or B.E. than Fokker or Albatros to me.

I added a few modifications:
1. I made a simple motor mount out of brass sheet. As I said in a an earlier post, the version I made in the 1970s kept losing the motor mount. On this one I made the mount I always thought it should have.
2. Steve111 called the undercarriage 'dorky' and the more I thought about it the more I agreed, so I made a more appropriate one. It will make landings tricky but mine are usually one pointers anyway (hence the broken engine mount!).
3. I missed cutting out the slot for the tail skid so I made one out of a skewer.
4. I added a machine gun. Couldn't send Major Barker up there unarmed, could I?

Cheers

Richard

Wow that looks really Cool. Nice Effort. I still haven't started.
One question....
When I printed the plans out, I noticed that it was 44cm (just under 17.5 ") instead of the quoted 18 Inch Wing span.
Could you confirm as I don't want to start building if the proportions haven't printed out right?
Some more photos would be much appreciated. Especially of the undercarriage.

Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:45:18 AM by spoonfork » Logged
JEM
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 07:11:50 PM »

Spoonfork,

The above Von Baron plan was drawn from templates supplied by someone else. I don't know how accurate they were but they seemed OK at the time.
If you want an 18" wingspan, reprint the plan at 103% (18.1").

John.
Icarus
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 10:31:07 PM »

Hi Spoonfork,

Thanks for your kind words, sorry I couldn't reply yesterday.

The plan printed out that size for me too, but as the wing chord was 3 inches, the standard width of a piece of balsa, I figured that Aeroflyte's 18 inch wingspan quote was a rounding up. I suspect making the wings slightly under 18" meant they could fit the parts into an 18 inch long box. I could be wrong but I would assume they had to work to a box made by another manufacturer in a standard size?

Anyway, I built it like that and it doesn't really matter - that's one of the benefits of building non-scale models I guess.

I will get you more photos of the undercarriage soon. The wheels are closer to the balance point than the original design, which I expect will make it more likely that the plane will take off from the ground (which my 1970s version never would), but will make landings much more demanding, with less margin for error. We shall see.

Richard
spoonfork
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 06:23:08 AM »

Spoonfork,

The above Von Baron plan was drawn from templates supplied by someone else. I don't know how accurate they were but they seemed OK at the time.
If you want an 18" wingspan, reprint the plan at 103% (18.1").

John.

OK Thanks John

Carlos
spoonfork
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 06:28:41 AM »

Hi Spoonfork,

Thanks for your kind words, sorry I couldn't reply yesterday.

The plan printed out that size for me too, but as the wing chord was 3 inches, the standard width of a piece of balsa, I figured that Aeroflyte's 18 inch wingspan quote was a rounding up. I suspect making the wings slightly under 18" meant they could fit the parts into an 18 inch long box. I could be wrong but I would assume they had to work to a box made by another manufacturer in a standard size?

Anyway, I built it like that and it doesn't really matter - that's one of the benefits of building non-scale models I guess.

I will get you more photos of the undercarriage soon. The wheels are closer to the balance point than the original design, which I expect will make it more likely that the plane will take off from the ground (which my 1970s version never would), but will make landings much more demanding, with less margin for error. We shall see.

Richard

Hi Richard,

That makes perfect sense. I've already had them printed out at office works as well. So will just stick to what ever size it came out to.
Great tips on the engine mount and undercarriage. I now am leaning towards a built up fuselage (same shape only with some formers in between).

Cheers

Carlos

spoonfork
Bronze Member

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »

Well......

After posting this back in 2014 I finally finished the darn thing.
Here it is all mocked up with a Cox Pee Wee 020. I think the tiny little motor suits the model.

But I will be sticking an 049 on it.
Should I put a Cox 049 or DC Wasp (which I think is on the box art)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: