Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2018, 08:37:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Drone  (Read 713 times)
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:23:28 AM »

No, not opne of those sneaky peek planes or helos, Drone as in engine. Sorting through a box of *stuff* I had packed in 2006  for a move south I discovered an engine I had forgotten about - a Drone Diesel. I think it may have been my grandfathers since he liked to fool with engines and being a great machinist he built a few. Like the ignition engine with valves I have in my collection of Opa goodies (Opa = Dutch for Grandfather).

The Drone, according to my quick googling research, is one of the earlier ones with plain bearings and a tank on the backplate. Looks fairly clean, might hacve to bolt it down and give it a flip someday, if I can find ether since apparently Drones ran on ether.
stuntguy13
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:25:28 PM »

The Drone Diesel is a great engine. Drones are fixed compression engines that needs high ether content fuel to start easy. The current source for high ether is John Deer Starter Fluid. Basically, you take the JD starter fluid mix it with 25%, 20 wt. mineral oil (basically 3 parts JD - 1 part oil). You should use a 12x8 prop and good maple mounts 3/8" by 1/2 ". It uses about 3 oz. of this fuel for 5 mins. It will pull a ship around 40 ish oz. with a 45 - 50" span. Aerodyne offered a conversion variable compression head, it allows using more conventional model diesel fuel but still likes the high ether fuel better.

Best,   DennisT
F4FGuy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »

Mine runs fine on 33% motor oil, 33% kerosene, and 33% ether. Depending on the altitude, temp and humidity you can run as little as 10% ether and 56% Kerosene (or, for the nitpickers, 33, 56, and 11). Caveat: Do not use castor oil.

Ron Burn (F4FGuy)
LOUCRANE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 07:10:31 PM »

By the way, the current edition of - 

adriansmodelaeroengines.com (may need the http, etc. business) (no charge, no registration, just goodness...)

-  has an extensive article on the Drone Diesel engines. Adrian's site is a delight in itself, and has information on many, many engines from all over the world. Best thing since we lost Ron Cherny, and his excellent Engine Boys site!

Adrian's Drone Article includes good info on why they came about, and were quite popular, compared to the slow turning sparkers of the early post WW2 years. Great info on the care and feeding of them, and on what is possible to expect from them.

\LOU

/LOU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: