Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 22, 2018, 11:53:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Experience With My First FF DLG  (Read 658 times)
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2014, 02:55:55 PM »

I am going to read the launch help for beginners thread now, I have spent my share of time repairing my glider. Think I am getting where I can launch consistently without breaking the glider, the transition is not very good yet.

http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2014/05/unwinding-with-free-flight-discus.html

Several pictures on my blog post.

Bill Kuhl
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »

Reading the thread on launching for beginners really helped. I am now launching with little angle upwards but the second part was adding more right rudder trim to get it to roll over to the right.  Not perfect transition yet but much better. That last flight it flew all the way across the field and landed on a road. Decided that was enough until I get the DT working again.

Bill Kuhl
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »

I am making a lot of progress, now my focus is on improving the duration.  Suggestions on this forum have helped. Especially on launch technique, it is now more of a spiral to the left changing to the right on top. No more crashes. This is my updated blog posts with more pictures and a short video.

http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2014/05/free-flight-discus-glider-update.html

Bill Kuhl
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: My Experience With My First FF DLG
anung
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Indonesia Indonesia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:13:41 AM »

Hi Bill,

Nice progress of your launching techniques. I thought I'm the only one who breaking the glider very often  Grin. In my experience, the fuselage under wing LE is the most breaking point. So I plant a carbon fiber rod into the body core to minimize the breaking risk.

Danang Priyambada
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: My Experience With My First FF DLG
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:26:53 AM »

I did go through a period of making many repairs, mainly where the boom attaches to the fuselage pod. I think it became rough inside of the area where the boom pivots and that is why the DT did not trip on the last flight. Luckily I got in many flights before I lost the glider.

Bill

http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2014/09/goodbye-to-my-first-tip-launched-free.html

sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »

Simply buy one of Stan Buddenbohm's TLG kit.  Great wood & fine designs.
Find his info at discUSkid website.
You may like his Silly Putty integrated timer, or a Badge viscous unit.  Stan can get U started with a Bauer RDT setup, which costs more,
tho it offers best insurance against loss of your precious plane.
If you like to fly with peace of mind and want be able to DT on DEMAND, then RDT is for U !!!

Leeper
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: