Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 15, 2018, 11:55:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dec 1977 Model Builder Magazine's Corsair by Mark Drela.  (Read 2174 times)
Widdog
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:59:06 PM »

First off I am an Intermediate level builder/flier. This will be a very challenging build for me. What I'm up to here is to try and build a prototype model and fly it. If all works out well I will build a second one. The second model will actually be the "Build" I'm posting about. I decided to post about the prototype as well. I am sure that the first prototype will not win me any contests. However, I probably will get some good advice on how to build and fly the Corsair.

BTW the plans I know are on the Outerzone website. http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=898 for those that may want to follow this build.

Anyway so far I have the wings rough framed. I am so far very impressed with the design. I have in the past built and flown the Sterling Model's Peanut Corsair. It actually did ok. I have learned quite a bit since then. It's been a few seasons since I did that. A problem with the Sterling kit IMHO is there is too much wood used to build that model. It comes out kind of heavy.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Dec 1977 Model Builder Magazine's Corsair by Mark Drela.
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:17:16 PM »

WIDDOG,
The Drela plan seems to be very nice.
Dave Andreski
Re: Dec 1977 Model Builder Magazine's Corsair by Mark Drela.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »

Thanks Dave you did a great job with the plans. Sorry about not giving credit where credit was clearly due. I had actually bought a copy of the plans from Ebay. I really should have checked the plans gallery first.

Also thanks for posting. These really are terrific plans. They are so detailed I may even try to build the Three Bladed prop.

skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:31:19 PM »

I really should have checked the plans gallery first.

Yeah, it would be better to check the gallery first. If nothing shows up, try
Outerzone.  There is too much pirated material on ebay now as it is and use
caution if you do try to bid. Just a word to the wise.

Skyraider
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:06:13 PM »

At the time I made the tail components I didn't know how to cut 1/20 inch x 1/32 inch stringers out of sheet Balsa. I built the tail out of 1/20 inch sq stringers. I than noticed that the fuselage requires 1/20 x 1/32 inch stringers. So I learned the "Steel Ruler" method of cutting stringers. I am thinking about redoing the tail components.   
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 89

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »

widdog,
    Try to get your pictures re-sized. they are too small when they open.

Skyraider
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »

Thanks Dave you did a great job with the plans. Sorry about not giving credit where credit was clearly due. I had actually bought a copy of the plans from Ebay. I really should have checked the plans gallery first.

Also thanks for posting. These really are terrific plans. They are so detailed I may even try to build the Three Bladed prop.

widdog,
All I did was upload the plan to the HPA gallery but thanks anyway.
Dave

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »

I'm experimenting with posting photo's. Anyway the front nose block this case F1 is made from a 1/32 Hard Laminated. I'm going to be using a 1/16 Bass wood.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »

I have so far managed to get a lot of the rough framing done. Have not figured out why the pictures are coming out so small.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »

Great plans this model is coming together nicely. I have a canopy from the Sterling Model kit. The plans call for a molded canopy. I may take the time and try to mold it for the next time I build this kit. Remember I want to see how it flies first. However, If anyone is or knows where I could get one of these canopies it would help me out greatly.   
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 01:45:28 AM »

I made another mod from the plans. The plans called for a "Winding Loop" made into the propeller shaft. I don't have any experience with that set up. I made the ol standard "Box Cap" noseblock.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 02:24:37 AM by Widdog » Logged
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 12:41:10 PM »

I started covering the model. I figured I'd start with the toughest part the wings. I am using a 50/50 white glue and water tissue adhesive. I guess if it does not turn out I may have to try again.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 01:29:08 PM »

Hi Widdog, nice work. Tough is the word for covering Corsair wings! Maybe your photos are small because the originals are small? How many pixels are they, width x height? I would have thought that 800 x 600 is a good starting point: if they're smaller than this then that might explain why they look small on HPA. If your camera takes higher resolutions then try that; if not then thanks for sharing anyway!

Stephen.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »

Thanks Prosper

The problem I have been having is that if I get the picture bigger... Hippocket says it's too big. here goes a 800 try. Pic is ol wrecked up Sterling Peanut Corsair. It did fly...Not the longest flights but it did fly. The Sterling Kit is so  similar to the Mark Drela... I even checked the plans sheet of the Sterling Kit but they do not list the Designer.

I am doing my best with the build. However like the article says is can really be built by a "Joe Average Flyer"  I will spend more time on the second time I build the MD design. The MD design is definitely going to be a lighter weight then the Sterling kit. I am very curious to try and fly the MD kit. 
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 06:25:23 AM »

Well, that picture's certainly bigger.

If you increase the size of a poor resolution picture in a graphics editor program, the file size does increase, although of course the resolution doesn't. In other words you could take a 200 x 150 pixel original which might be 30kB for example, enlarge it to 2000 x 1500 pixels using a graphics editor, and the file size would be way over the 400kB file size which is the max that Hippocket allows. However, the resolution, or quality of the picture would still be lousy! It's all down to the resolution of the original shot, not what you do with it after. Anyway, don't let that distract you from this build, which I'm enjoying, good luck with the covering.

Regards,
Stephen.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 07:46:57 AM »

Once again sorry about the bad picture. I have better luck with video's. I did finish the model and trim flew the model. I had said in an earlier post that this was going to be a model more for test flying rather than looking at. So the model does not look the best. It did trim fly well. I did try a regular flight with the model.  It started out real nice. However, due to what I believe as not enough dihedral it started to bank and turned into the ground. The model suffered damage to the wing. I believe I can make repairs and try it again.

Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 10:36:11 AM »

Although I don't have everything trimmed in yet I did get some video anyway. http://youtu.be/HSdSsvPeud0

I am looking for advice here on the rubber motor and propeller combination. I think if I can get that worked out this kit would fly well.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 10:35:09 PM »

I think I have prototype one flying pretty well. I am getting ready to start the actual build of prototype two.

Flight video of prototype one.

http://youtu.be/Y-LPAfji0uI
GeoffinIN
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »

Is the designer THIS Mark Drela?http://web.mit.edu/aeroastro/news/magazine/aeroastro-no3/2006drela.html  I'd think he would know a thing or two about how to design a model!

Geoff
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 08:22:41 AM »

YUP!

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »

Haha!! Great choice for the soundtrack!  Keep up the good work.
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »

Thanks Mooney,

I have caught the electric FF bug. I started this project not knowing anything about electric. Now i can "Tin and Solder" wires together like a pro. I didn't make a separate thread for this posting because i don't have any idea if it will work or not. I'll keep you posted here on the upcoming results.
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »

I can feel your enthusiasm right through the website Widdog!  Keep it up..........

Bob
Widdog
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »

Thanks Bob,

I found a website that sells Electric Timers. http://microflierradio.com/Timers.html. My order arrived very fast. I don't know anything about Electric Timers but they answered all my questions and helped me order the correct timers for what I need. Timers come with great instructions as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: