Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 16, 2018, 02:34:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trying to adjust my just build glider  (Read 696 times)
Daniel E
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Mexico Mexico

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SLo3WJKEz3o&feature=youtu.bei

HI to all my name is Daniel, and just live across the border of Douglas Az, I recently became interested to build and fly a tlg, having seen some of the nice videos of Japan, and also with help of the diferent plans on line I made one, I just used someof the parts I already had, some details are 40 inches span, 5 inches root chord I went to try to test today, I have some stalls at the top then after losing attitud it start with good glide, please tell me what you think at the video , its still rough , need to fine finish details , but experimenting already

Daniel.       

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
trying to adjust my just build glider
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »

Welcome to HPA, Daniel.

Nice launch!  I think you have too much incidence/decalage.  A lot of incidence is good to start with, since it is safer.  But since your launch looked safe, I would suggest reducing incidence.  I watched your arm motion, and it didn't look like you were trying to throw the glider too much in an upward direction, but it climbed very steeply after release, and didn't level out at the top as it slowed.  The glide also seemed to indicate too much incidence.

Is this your own design?  It looks good, except if I can see the pictures clearly, it may need more dihedral.  I tried to check the length of the nose--a shorter nose and lighter tail will help with stall recovery--and it looked good as far as I could tell.  But I thought it could benefit from more dihedral.  That would help the recovery at the top of the launch.

These are just my thoughts, it's hard to be certain from the pictures and the video.

The glider looks very nice overall, and your launch is looking good, too!

--Bill

Good air don't care!
Daniel E
Copper Member

Mexico Mexico

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:33:10 AM »

Hi Bill , thank you for your advise , I will start turning in the adjustment screw to decrese the incidence , I also started trowing with cg at around 50% , but as the picture shows I started to put some rubber bands in the nose so the video has like 40% cg , seems a lot forward for a glider ? , I didnt include many information in the first post , the boom is 17 inches from pivot to begining of stab , it weights 118 gr , the nose its 6 inches ( some balancing weight increased it 1/2 inch ), I havent put any washin tab in the wing , I was trying to trow level since when I tryed to trow a little up it did a bad stall that barely recover,

Daniel
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »

I have been struggling through getting my first TLG to fly correctly and you appear to be doing better than I did at the start. For awhile I was repairing the glider after every flying session.

http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2014/05/unwinding-with-free-flight-discus.html

The trim adjustments really appear to be rather small. I still am not happy with all my flights, think I have the stalling eliminated and then it will stall on some flights. A couple of times I noticed the plastic bolt was loose and the boom could shift changing the circle.

Bill Kuhl

Stan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »

Daniel, Your launch technique seems good enough so the issue is likely the model. I could be misinterpreting the photo and the video but it appears that you do not have enough dihedral: About 6 deg on each side of the center and 24 more deg in each tip works. How much stabilizer skew are you using? I suggest just under 1/16 (about .050). Your tail moment seems short for such a large wing. From the video it looks like you need a little more decalage, the model seems to slow down a bit early. Also it may not be rolling enough in the climb. If so you need to add more rudder turn and ADD A WEDGE. You might start with one 1/16 x 1/2 x 2.25 placed 1/16 past the tip dihedral joint.

Good luck, Stan Buddenbohm
Daniel E
Copper Member

Mexico Mexico

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:38:51 PM »

http://youtu.be/0IoJX6waJEM

Hi to all,  I thank you for all your coments and information , I went again same as last time early in the morning 7 or 8 am, when doesnt seem to be air activity , basicaly I tried to lighten the tail, sanding more the already much sanded light arrow shaft, apart from that didnt do much other thing, I acually went with the wedge to put in the wing after some test but left with out puting it, it will be for next time , it still had some stall at the top but less now, and managed to do flights now around 1 minute, one thing I will do to improve is get one of the carbon tubes from mr Stan to lighten and increase around 1 inch the tail movement from 20 to 21(also maybe a couple of kits!), here is a link to most of around a minute flight, I also had a flight were the DT activated and was nice to see it come down nicely, the glider does have less dihedral than usual , I had the plan to do a 3rd break 3 or 4 inches from the tips, I have left that for now,

Daniel
shhhhh!
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »

Daniel.............looks great!!
Dave.........Tucson,AZ
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 01:11:36 AM »

Daniel, I too feel your TLG would like more dihedral.
We have used a simple trick to add more dihedral when we think we need to, WITHOUT cutting completely thru the wing using razor saw.
Just pick & mark the place(s) to cut on top, saw NEARLY thru, hold down the main panel securely & prop up the tip where U want it.  Tack the joint
with thin CA, then smoothly fill with joint filler(med CA, like Zap-a-gap), quickly followed with microballs blown on from an appropriate squeeze bottle.
I have seen/done it on field, and test flew it in a few minutes.

Leeper
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: