Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 22, 2017, 07:02:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: intelligent neighbor revisits the simplistics  (Read 827 times)
C/L Gee Bee
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »

I have a neighbor (a few houses down the street) that is congenial, always waves when I drive by, walks his dog down this way, stops and passes the time.
He's a mechanical engineer, about 50, well spoken, and uplifting...after a few minutes of talking with him, I am resigned to go on living. (!)

Friday afternoon, my sons were here with their families, everyone in the back yard...my wife is the Barbequer in our family. I cook. She is THE grill master, and it is accepted.
My sons and I were in the garage, front of the house...garage door open, we were getting my old C/L Gee Bee fired up, Super Tigre .35 with a short manifold and 2" baloney sliced pipe, 3/8" brass tube...This thing sounds like a baritone-tuned Hispano-Suiza. Real tone...Many decibels.

It fired on the second back-flip, (Doug Ellis engine) and I let it run rich 'til warm to the touch...then revved 'er to a rich 2 cycle, pinching the line every so often to make 'er scream... LOVE that sound!
The neighbors didn't even look out the windows, but my congenial engineer, Bud, was down here when he heard the first inklings.
I ran it for about 2 minutes, then fattened it up and let it die.

Bud asked, "Does this fly?" I assured him it did. I began pointing out things of interest, then he was to exclaim: "This is flown in a circle, with manual controls?"
Bud confessed he had never been a kid, and was dropped off by aliens from a large saucer. We laughed, but Bud went on to say that with Boarding School he had never seen the inside of a hobby shop.
Model aircraft he had seen were all composite, and so 'manufactured' he had no interest. (expensive, available toys)

He was intrigued with a simple concept: a model airplane could be built from light wood, with a 'medium' of hard wood to mount a metal aluminum reciprocal engine!

We  took Bud into the hobby shop, (adjoining the garage) he looked at various projects in stages, and he asked a few questions.
He was at odds with 'old technology' that he'd inadvertently 'sidestepped'!

Bud is interested. He liked my Ringmaster, but LOVED the Sterling F51!
"I could build a Mustang, and we could fly it?" He had built some plastic in the '70s, the Mustang was his favorite.

When Bud left, he was telling us he has a room with a heavy table. He asked about getting the wing straight. (ribs, etc) He'll be a good student.
He's an engineer. (but an OPEN MINDED ONE) 

I guess it'll be a Brodak Sterling P51 model, I sent him an email with their site. Oboy, oboy, oboy! I might have a new flying buddy! 
I'll fly Sterling Mustangs any time... 

Bob Jablonski
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:12:39 PM »

I had a C/L Groupner P-51 profile  plane from Hobby Lobby (back in the late 80's). it was a fun flyer until the bellcrank let go and rekitted itself. I saves the fuel tank, wheels, and engine (after I replaces the bent crank shaft).
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
LOUCRANE
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »

Bob and CLGB,

I hope we all realize that learning/relearning a skill is always rewarding! The satisfaction of building then flying a model is becoming a less frequently enjoyed experience and seems to be getting rarer. In CL, sure, there are RTF and Almost-RTF 'toys" we can buy, but the feeling of personal accomplishment is far less. Like other "toys,"  when, not if, they break, there's less motivation to do it again, better. Easier to just dump the wreckage and try something else that promises instant joy and fulfillment.

And doesn't deliver...

So, on to the next hyped, unsuccessful, promise of nirvana.

If the commitment is merely the price of the toy, we can wander away, aimlessly, uncommitted to personal growth, seeking advertising-hype fulfillment. It has never worked for me.

Mastering, becoming involved in the challenges, CAN be rewarding, and still challenging for us to do it better the next time around. From10 cent Comet "rubber powered Free Flights" in the 1940's, to today, the challenge of learning how to make it work has sustained my interest, learning and involvement.

I hope this will remain available to many of us who feel short-changed by the promises  of instant gratification, today. Seems to me we NEED something like that...

/LOU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: