Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 15, 2018, 11:14:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DT Method Adequate?  (Read 578 times)
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »

Wow it has been perfect flying weather here for several days in a row. I seem to progressed with my Maxima TLG from I could getting it to stay up very long to where it didn’t want to come down.  I know all the TLG gliders swing the boom up to DT but I wonder if in a really strong thermal that is adequate?  I know on P30 most planes pop the wing loose. In thermal on my glider just kept stalling after the DT had popped but it sure took a long time coming down. Maybe this is normal and I just need to fly from bigger field.  The other thing at the end of a 2 minute max it seems like the glider could be a tiny speck in the sky.

Blog story with pictures below:

http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/2014/08/tip-launch-glider-slow-to-come-down.html

Bill Kuhl

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
DT Method Adequate?
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 10:44:29 AM »

Bill,

I'm no TLG expert, but the ones that I have seen pop the wing back to almost 90 degrees off the shaft.  This has a very positive descent, but a relatively soft landing.  A lower angle would probably DT much like models that pop the tail - not as effective.

How far back does yours go?  Are you pulling it back with rubber bands?

--george

Volare Products Blog: http://www.volareproducts.com/
Volare Products Store:  http://www.volareproducts.com/BUY/
Follow on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/VolareProducts
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »

I think it must be 75 degrees.  If I had more slack in the line it would go up higher.

Bill Kuhl
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: DT Method Adequate?
Swarthog
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:54:28 AM »

I watched Tim Batiuk last month trim his TLG for the nats. He uses a RDT that's a very nice set up. Pretty much every time the glider dropped right at his feet. I believe he can change the receiver into his other gliders so it keeps the cost reasonable considering competitve TLG's are not inexpensive.  The benefits I saw were obvious. He was able to make many short flights, trim and fly in a very short time. He would spin one up, watch it glide around a few seconds, turn to me and say "that's a max" and click his DT. Dude was awesome, and he helped me trim my P30 so that it glided perfect.  
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:24:28 AM »

I purchased the NFFS video on TLG and catapult gliders, Tim explains the trimming portion of the video. It would be great to work with him in person.

Bill Kuhl
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 07:00:56 PM »

Tipped 90 degrees, they come down fine.
When they are in a brick-lifting thermal......they come down slower, but they DO come down.
Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:33:59 PM »

Concur with others that say they come down.  Sometimes slow, but even in a strong thermal, they come down.  Mine have the boom popped to about 90 degrees; the lower the angle the less reliable and, I think, less stable.

On the other hand, a pop-up boom on a CLG may not be enough--I've watched mine go up after full 90 degree DT.  Hence the pop-forward wing.

--Bill

Good air don't care!
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »

Bill Kuhl, go with the prior folks posts to solve your descent troubles. Use at least 75 degrees.
Cat gliders have lower(lighter)wing loadings, hence they are slower descending than TLGs.
As Rewinged Bill stated, use pop forward wing DT method for CLGs, known as Tumbling Pigeon DT system.
If you have access to NFFS Digest issues, you will find some CLG plans published which use that setup.
In fact, the current issue has my latest CLG (called Q.CAT 18), which has TP DT system.
Stan Buddenbohm is kitting currently.  Send email to: gliderbohm@aol.com for ordering details.

Leeper
ScienceGuy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »

I will lengthen the string and then the tail should go up more, it seemed like it was close to 75 degrees but more would be better. It did come down, just had to gyrate for awhile before coming down.  Was flying it again tonight, my launches sure have improved. Almost scary how high it is getting to me. It seems to be more about getting your launch form just right, not brute strength.

Flew my Allegro Lite RC sailplane in thermal lift for the first time today, that glider was so much work. Design is by Dr. Mark Drela.  This is a short video of it circling low, what a glide.

http://youtu.be/NWJqf1Vdd_k

Bill Kuhl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: