Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 25, 2018, 02:54:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peanut F4U Corsair - Sterling Plan  (Read 1642 times)
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »

Years ago I built both the Sterling peanut Corsair and Zero.  I still have the kit box and some of the old wood but not the plan.  The box has been staring me in the face upside down holding scrap balsa and bits and pieces on my workshop table so I decided to build a 2014 version using the plan form HP gallery.

I like the keel and former construction on the small peanuts and things have progressed good so far.  Except for the fact that I forgot to remove the paper pattern on one of the keels before I glued things together.  I will be making a few alterations as I go along including movable control surfaces.

Here are few pics so far.  By the way the last photo was an acidental shot snapped as I was putting the camera away.  It shows the mess just above my table including a where is Waldo (or Vickers Jockey) hiding?  I recently finished the Jockey and it was temporarily hanging amongst the mess.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Peanut F4U Corsair - Sterling Plan

Bob
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »

Started on wings yesterday.  To experiment with alternate structure layouts I took a “snap shot” off the PDF of the plan and then pasted into my Cad program.  I can then quickly draw in different ways to alter then plan to include movable surfaces.  To build the aileron I first constructed the wing per plan, added in 1/32 sheeting between ribs and then cut away the structure that would become the built up aileron.  The aileron is not exactly where shown on the plan because it was simpler to make it go from rib to rib.  Close enough for my type of scale.
Re: Peanut F4U Corsair - Sterling Plan

Bob
Widdog
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »

Wow really looking good. Great work.

I am going to be following this build due to it being one of my favorite subjects. Your doing a great job with the build. Thanks for posting it.
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:25:12 PM »

Corsair is coming along...all be it slowly.....structure sanded and started to cover with blue ekaski

Bob
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:35 AM »

Looks neat, Bob. Nice work.

Stephen.
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »

Thanks Stephen......have you flown your Tempest lately...amazing build that enjoyed following

Bob
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 12:15:34 AM »

The peanut corsair is just about ready for it's first flight.  The canopy was glued on tonight and will be framed up with some strips of tissue when it is firm enough to handle.  The pics below still show the tape holding the canopy on while it dries.   This is the first time I have used EZ Dope and it is clear I need more practice.  I mixed a 50/50 solution and brushed it on the blue ekaski.  It blushed in several areas so I need to re-read Sig's posts on using EZ Dope.  Total all up weight including the motor came in at 17.3 grams.  It balanced nicely without need of ballast and the glides were good.  Weather permitting I'll get a video of initial flights tomorrow.

Bob
bobson
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 03:01:34 PM »

Looks great! Does the propeller freewheel?
Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 05:57:35 PM »

Great Corsair.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   RCN
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 09:48:55 PM »

Looks great! Does the propeller freewheel?

I typically use a standard peck prop with the notch.  I don't glue the bent over shaft to the prop, but I doubt it free wheels.  I covered the bead and prop shaft with a nose spinner made from hardened tissue.  First I shape the spinner with floral foam; add tissue with white glue, let it dry and then cover it with CA glue.  Once the CA is hard I hollow out the green foam and cut the hardened tissue spinner it to fit over the prop and glued it on.  Very light weight and easy to cut and fit, but can pose an problem if it hits something hard on landing.  You can see the adjustable nose button in the pics.  On the corsair I can still get to the allen screws to adjust the thrust angle.  On full spinners (like on a mustang) I don't permanently glue the spinner on so I can remove and adjust the thrust button.

Bob

Bob
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:17:25 AM »

Good result Bob! Good luck with trimming. BTW my Tempest got smashed, I'm just now looking at how I might repair it Shocked.

Stephen.
Hillsboro Bob
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »

Finally got around to starting the trim flights on the peanut corsair.  Long way to go, but it does fly.  Utube link (if it works) is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8xCv2KSl0o

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: