Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 24, 2017, 07:51:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Elite Elf  (Read 582 times)
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

United States United States

Topic starter
nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:02:52 PM »

I've been testing an Elite "ELF", 20" span, the last couple of weeks and what a fine little model it is too...I don't know when it was kitted but I can imagine the pleasure boys and girls must of had flying something this nice...I took the plan out of SAM-35 Speaks and blew it up at the copy center and built it in 3 days...simple and very pretty in the air...I used 4 x 1/8" braided and a wood 7" carved prop I had laying around in my prop box...it just keeps climbing and I'll have to build another one with a D/T because it is out growing the polo field I'm flying on for testing...so far, I've got it up to 800 winds and I'm scared to death to wind it up anymore...the only thing I did to it was add bamboo dowels for wing tie downs and a little bit of clay between the landing gear...I plan to build all the Elite models because I've built the Skyrocket and the Petrel and both fly great for me...I can't post a 8.5" x 11" plan right now because my security settings won't allow it
but will as soon as I get that sorted...I highly recommend it...my flying partner Howard built one also and it flies as well as mine...right out of the box...
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:26:15 AM »

Nice to hear that this pretty little thing flies so well  Smiley

Casting about for a small field model for my daughter who's expressed a desire to have another model for herself (that MUST be tissue covered) so I'll take a look at the plan (I've got a feeling it may have been published in AMI; although that could have been a similar sized Veron model

Cheers
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:06:53 AM »

I really do recommend it...very simple to build and bags of fun...you might also look at the Frog series of 18" to 20" mixed construction models...usually tissue wings and partial fuselage with all sheet tail feathers...great flyers : mid wing, low wing and high wing, take your pick...
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »

I don't know where you can get a plan for the model (other than the SAM 35 Speaks). I found a picture of one on a model site and on the plan it says "Elite Model Airplane Supplies - Manchester - present The Elf". See: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265873&page=588

It seems to date to 1947 See: http://www.vintagemodelworks.co.uk/?page_id=707 about 80% toward the bottom.

Ian
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Elite Elf
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:09:45 PM by PB_guy » Logged
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 207

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »

You didn't mention that those magic words, 'Designed by Albert E Hatfull' were on the plan!

John
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 04:28:28 AM »

Thats very pretty, would make a nice fun P20  Smiley
OneArm
Silver Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 07:07:49 AM »

So for scaling purposes, is the 20" wingspan "as shown" on the drawings including the gaps between the main wain section and the tips or is there an allowance for the gaps that needs factored in?
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »

Yep, Albert hisself...didn't think of P20 but yep, I'd fly it in that with a D/T on it...I flew it on more turns this weekend and she just kept climbing...with no "air" about a minute flight and behaved herself...thanks for the date of 1947...now I don't have to worry about the crudmudgeons in FAC axing it and I can relax and fly it just for giggles...I blew it up at the copy center to 20" span with the gaps as shown...maybe it would make a interesting Embryo with a little work?...I flew it on 4 x 1/8" braided and the 7" wood prop as shown with a Garami clutch...it is very light with just plain wood out of the scraps box...
OneArm
Silver Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »

Hard to read on the plans. Anyone know how high to raise the wing tips for dihedral?
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 06:13:25 PM »

I just eyeballed it to what I thought was right but don't make it shallow...since building this model, I've come up with a Embryo sized one and so have lost 2 of them now. I built one with a flat bottomed and an extra wing with undercamber...no difference in the glide. It doesn't like a lot of wing incidence and just a little negative in the pop up tail. They do come out light with just hobby shop wood (B & N) and good tissue. I use a Garami clutch on the prop and tie-downs for the wing. Installing a D/T on that tiny rudder/stab is a little pain and perhaps a pop up wing would be better...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: