Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 21, 2018, 05:14:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Size limit on CL.  (Read 1557 times)
Gord
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

South Africa South Africa

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:33:53 AM »

Hi.

I was wondering, being new to control line planes, what are the limitations in terms of plane size, engine size etc. are there any large control line planes out there?

Thanks.
Gord.
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 11:23:54 AM »

Try the online sites......Stuka Stunt.  and Stunthanger....a lot of info.
slipstick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »

Large is a relative sort of term.

I've seen a few multi-engine scale models around 8ft span but they were never common and I can't think of anything bigger. For single engine it's rare to see anything much bigger than about .91-1.20 size, say 6ft span.

Don't forget you have to hang on to them via lines and handle. If they get too big and heavy that's a bit of problem Wink.

Steve
Gord
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:37:06 PM »

Many thanks Craig & Steve.

I appreciate the thoughts & advice.
I guess it's all about what my delicate 115kg can hang on to!

I'm slowly narrowing ideas down until I come up with something that will be fun to build & fly.
I've got plenty to learn so on with the learning.
I popped in to one of my local hobby shops today to ask about buying a .049 & he says they are no longer available, sounds crazy, I guess I'll just keep looking. Maybe I'll find a second hand one somewhere.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Regards.
Gord.
carpetbagger
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 03:58:48 PM »

Yes, you have to hang on. I think the officials pull a 10 G test on your control system. I'd say anything over 5 kilos is a handful.
slipstick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 04:17:57 PM »

I popped in to one of my local hobby shops today to ask about buying a .049 & he says they are no longer available, sounds crazy, I guess I'll just keep looking. Maybe I'll find a second hand one somewhere.
If you have a look at http://coxengines.ca/ I think you'll find that the guy in your LHS doesn't really know what he's talking about. OTOH these days they're certainly not cheap. Second hand ones turn up on EBay all the time...but can be of very variable quality.

Or if you've really gone from how big can I go all the way down to that size there are still some nice little diesels available from PAW.

Steve
Gord
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 05:15:31 AM »

Hi Carpetbagger.

Thanks for the 5kg guideline I'll use that as a max obviously I'll try for a whole lot lighter.

All the best.
Gord.
Gord
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 05:19:20 AM »

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the link & the thoughts on the engine alternatives, being out in the bush it's a bit difficult to go & look at stuff but this site & the great advice is making it a whole lot easier & interesting too.

All the best.
Gord.
TimWescott
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 11:22:02 PM »

Hey Gord:

If you're not absolutely married to the idea of using nitro power, I'd suggest you get a timer from Keith Renicle and fly electric.  Your LHS will have all of the power bits and pieces (which is more and more not the case with glow), and you can pretty much pick what size you want.

Plus, Keith is also from South Africa, which has to be worth something.

If you're starting out, I'd suggest a Sig Skyray (if you want to build) or a TopFlight Flight Streak (if you just want to buy an ARF).  You'll have to do some kit-bashing to get an electric motor in there.  Alternately, you can buy a new OS 25 LA, which is perfect for either of those two planes.  OS has a version specifically for control line that you can just bolt on and go.  If you get the Flight Streak, you want to balance it 1 5/8" back from the leading edge, NOT where the instructions say!

We have a guy in my control line club who's probably 120 pounds soaking wet, and approaching 90 years old, to boot, and he routinely flies 4 1/2 foot span, three pound airplanes.  You can probably fly any stunter there is, although you may be limited by physics if you try to fly the really big scale planes.
perttime
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »

For .049 size airframes, check out Black Hawk Models. Hobby King stocks Black Hawk stuff too. ... or browse the HPA Plans Gallery.

Cox engines are out there but not in many Local shops.

And yes, electric is a real possibility nowadays - using a timer, or a cheap R/C car radio for motor control.
mjmccarron
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 07:50:11 PM »

Brodak has a .049 listed. http://brodak.com/engines/engines.html

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.
Gord
Copper Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 05:16:21 AM »

Thanks Guys for all of the information.
It has certainly given me a lot more to ponder on, especially the electric route, that has a lot of potential.
I have a radio from a helicopter that tried to move a tree (novice pilot, me), so that's available. Basically just for throttle settings.
I was looking at a site (Andy's Plastic Planes) yesterday, interesting approach to alternative building materials.

Many thanks again or the guidance, I seem to be learning new things & new approaches on a daily basis.

All the best.
Gord.
Dadda
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »

Hi Gord
I have not been on the sight for a while, so I have only stumbled across your post now. I am in Johannesburg and would be more than happy to assist you with C/L as best I can.
Bob Jablonski
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 07:07:10 PM »

My dad built a 4 engine 8 ft wingspan scale cargo plane back in the day (before I was born) He also built a scale Saber Jet with a Dyna Jet engine. With those there was a post you held onto while flying.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
Like us on Facebook
ghostler
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 09:42:37 PM »

About 2 years ago, I moved up to the larger .35 sized airplane.

Traditional reed valve engine half-A is a good inexpensive way to get introduced into CL, provided you have reasonably calm weather. They are easy building. I really had a blast with them when I was younger some 40 years ago.

When one moves up to the 400 square inch plus wing area using legacy .35 older cross scavenged engines or modern .25 Schneurle engines on 60 feet cables, has a more realistic wind penetrating flier with decent line tension. Being larger they tend to be less twitchy. At 5 second laps, one doesn't get as dizzy as the half-A's with 3 second laps.

Some go up to the .45 Schneurle or older .60 cross scavenged engine planes with even more wing area (600 sq. in. +) on 70 feet lines. However to me that is probably the practical upper limit. Some have gone larger, but I'd say more important is the comfort of flying, especially considering the line tug.

So far, I find the line tension of a .35 powered flier more than sufficient, and it is truly fun.  Grin

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
flyingagin
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 08:47:45 PM »

Well hi there George I havn't been on this site in months and looky who I run into.

After I learned to fly on a .049 I went to a .09 cross scavenged engine. Then went to .35 cross scavenged and loved the size. Loved that size and power.

A couple of decades later I got back into CL for a while, with a modern .40. Added a few more square inches to a Magician and really liked the power and the always positive pull on the handle. And it wasn't to much. Just needed a slightly bigger plane that I flew in the 60's.

Then I took a trip into insanity. Built a stretched Magician and stuck a piped rear exhaust OS. .60 on the nose. Used .018, 70 foot lines. Man Oh man when that bad boy got on the pipe. Pulled like a mule and rocketed around the circle. I could fly it one handed, but I was just as much of the time 2 fisting the handle. It would make my wrist, and arm tiered.

Pic 1 Ervine .40 powered
Rest of pics OS. 60 powered

There are plenty of modern .60 powered planes but they are much better designed.
I have seen pics of guys flying Super Tiger 3000 powered planes with out a center pole. There are also videos available. Man do those things pull. The pilots leaning were way back on the lines. They are actually aerobatic and put on a good show. I hunted for a vid and gave up

Ken
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Size limit on CL.

"As for Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord"
Joshua 24:15
ghostler
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 01:04:05 AM »

Ken, haven't heard from you in a while, how you've been? Yes, those .60 sized planes would be the ultimate, but for me the .35 sized 400 square inch are a comfortable size. Got any CL planes that you are working on?

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
flyingagin
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »

kinda just keeping my head down
unable to work on anything at this time
Thinking about setting a spot in our storage unit but no power there
Will try to remember to give you a call

Ken

"As for Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord"
Joshua 24:15
BBailey
Bronze Member

Me & my Great Grandson Bentley Liam Bailey

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 09:31:07 AM »

I am seeing 72" to 88" C/L Planes. Not that many, but they are out there. There are a lot of 45" to 52" unless you fly like the Voodoo or Wizard types, or the "normal" Flat Wing ones. There is a lot of True Scale in C/L like Tri DR1's, well WW I and WW II birds all around.

NOTE: Check this site! The Plans area has several resources. One is just go to C/L, but the others are go to the old Magazines and view the plans in those and go to the List of Modeling Co. that are mostly not around to see what they have.

NOTE: If you want to get into the REALLY BIG Planes you will need to get a Harness and have a pole put in the ground, in concrete to hold your butt down.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:42:50 AM by BBailey » Logged

BBailey
F4FGuy
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 03:44:39 AM »

Gord,

The snarky answer to your question would be "How much do you weigh?". The practical answer is : five to six foot span. In stunt or scale, the larger planes "present better", but getting much larger, while possible, looks cramped on 70foot lines (the longest legal size). The attached pic of my F4F-3 Is fairly typical (in size) of large stunters today. It is 62" span with .60 engine.

Ron Burn (F4FGuy)
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 217

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »

>70foot lines (the longest legal size

Really? A maximum line length? Never knew that but ... haven't flown a C/L model for about 65 years so not surprised.

I do have a recollection of a clubmate  back in the '50's, flying a "Taurus' powered by McCoy .60, on 90' - 100' lines.  A flat-calm summer evening, loops were seemingly slow and stately and watching that model climbing  up and through a wingover was awesome.    Wondering now why he had made up such a long set of lines - maybe on a U-Reely ?
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 63

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »

Ron,
    Very nice Hellcat! How long ago was that and are you still flying it?
Biggest I've flown in CL was 33" on a fox 35.

Skyraider
F4FGuy
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »

Skyraider,

Thanks, it's actually an F4F3 Wildcat, but I forgive you.

Since that pic it was flown for about 3 yrs. Including the '88 NATs and a bunch of local/regional meets. I finally dorked it (pilot error). Since then I've built two more, the last about 5 yrs. ago. I've built a number of other "scale/stunt" AC since then, the latest being a Zero Sen Type 22 (attached). The Zero is a little larger, 735 sq.in. and 68" with a Saito 70.

As of now I can neither build nor fly due to Parkinson's, so I just sit here and criticize.

Ron Burn (F4FGuy)
F4FGuy
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »

re Applehoney's incredulity on line length. (Reply# 20)

In AMA in competition, 70 feet or the metric equivalent In FAI.

If your'e not competing and are flying on open land with the owners permission, any thing goes. But your AMA insurance will not be valid.

Ron Burn (F4FGuy)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: