Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2017, 09:26:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mini Playboy rubber powered  (Read 1053 times)
rick121x
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »

I have just finished the "PBR" by Laser-Cut Planes, Lasercutplanes.com Some pics are attached. It is a mini of the original Playboy Senior, a gorgeous airplane from the 1940's

The Esaki covered plane without the prop assembly weighs out at 3.2 grams, and the prop assembly weighs 3.5 grams. That may seem out of line, but with the long tail moment and very short nose moment, the weight is necessary for balance. It does have a 22 inch wingspan, and should be quite "floaty".

It was quite easy to build, being laser cut. It was so easy, that I began to resent the time spent on shaping the leading edges.   Smiley  The quality of the wood was excellent, density and grain "right-on!" On the laser cut balsa joints, I simply brushed on 50/50 ambroid as if it were instant glue. Nothing broke while I was working on it, so I would believe that assembly/gluing system works....

The only thing I don't like is that it does not have any adjustment on the thrust angle.

I did some artwork and then printed the tissue with my HP printer - using water based ink. I hope get a dye ink printer one of these days so I don't have to be afraid of moisture. The printing came out nicely and I am very happy with the appearance - that's why I have so many pictures.  Roll Eyes

It will be next week before I can get to the gym to give it a test - looking forward to that.

Richard Ranney

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Mini Playboy rubber powered
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:45:28 PM by rick121x » Logged
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 64

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 06:10:01 PM »

Pretty plane but I like Hugh Hefner's version better.

The Threadkiller!
rick121x
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »

Crabby...

Hugh Hefner's Playboy didn't come along until I was almost 21, but the Playboy model plane was there in my magazines, my model plane magazines, for me to ogle and wish for all during the 40's and the 50's. It was always out of my league, first I was too young, later I just didn't have enough experience or money. My Class C and D Free flight dreams never materialized around the ownership of that fabulous "Playboy Senior"airplane.

It was so graceful, so streamlined, a very large plane, and a winner all the time! ...talk about the dreams of a young boy.

cd_webb
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »

I certainly see what you have to be proud of. Love the color palette.  It sure has the Playboy look, and I'd sure like to know how it does for you. The price is right, and if you're happy with it, I may want to get one for flying around home.

Congratulations, it's a beauty!

David
spacerod
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 09:56:19 PM »

Rick

I've built a number of the planes from Laser-Cut Planes and they all fly great.
With the great laser cutting they go together quickly and are really fun to fly indoors.
I'm sure your Play Boy will fly very well.   

Spacerod (Charlie Coeyman )
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 10:37:04 PM »

Okay, Rick, you talked me into it. I just ordered a Prowler A6 kit. With OS film on her she ought to be seriously underweight. I'll still be using a Gowan prop, though. Also ordered one of their prop twist jigs for the other classes.

Art.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
IndoorFlyer

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 01:06:40 AM »

They have some pretty nice looking kits there.  They also have some good videos on Youtube as well...   (website has links under Builder Photos)
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 64

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »

Rick, FYI you are not alone in your Playboy dream... it was the Brooklyn Dodger that did it for me... and someday if I ever start building again I'd like to do a rubber version...With planes, cars and statues, its always the lines that intrigue me...

The Threadkiller!
rick121x
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 06:07:39 PM »

OK, here is a video of the first flight, excepting a few hand glides.      http://youtu.be/dLsPaLXnLwo

I used 1/6 in. Super Sport rubber, loop length 9 in., weighing 0.9 grams. This was a only a "hand wind" of close to 350 turns. The climb rate was very strong, and with a full wind, I would believe it would "go" very high.

I did build in an adjustable rudder, and on subsequent flights corrected that straightened flight path after power runs out. That also required a slight right correction to the thrust angle. On this model the flight surfaces are visually very true, no visible warps.

I have subsequently flown this plane on another day, and it is just perfect! I was winding to 0.2 in-oz torque, with a slight reduction due to attaching the rubber to the prop hook and tail hook. This plane is so pretty to watch, with that shallow polyhedral and long tail moment. I do so wish I had a higher ceiling location in which "to play."

This plane uses the kitted propeller, a plastic one, something I have never ever used. The instructions indicate it is a very good prop but very heavy, and I do now agree that it is very good. I think I will try to make some copies in balsa... shooting for about 0.9 grams. The plastic prop weighs 3.3 grams  Roll Eyes

Probably the next flight iteration will use a longer, say a 12 inch loop of 0.047 rubber, wound to about the same torque level, expecting a lesser climb rate and longer total duration.

I do recommend this plane for recreational indoor flying, a very pleasing plane -  cannot help but wonder if this configuration in a 3 gram indoor flier,  would be an even greater delight to fly. Hmmmn.
planesjimmycam
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:29:50 AM »

Very nice looking plane, and a great flier too. I am sure a lighter version that you mentioned would be even better!
 Best,
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: