Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 10, 2018, 10:25:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scram, StevensAero, 1/2A electric combat (wood wing)  (Read 793 times)
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

United States United States

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:47:07 PM »

Scrams at 10 pases !

I just got back from a trip down memory lane flying the StevensAero Scram.
http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAero-SCRAM-Control-Line-Combat-Model-SAK-SCRAM100.html

While this 50 plus year old guy was able to beat that young 40 year old in the picture. I have to say I'm not the combat pilot I was 40 years ago!

StevensAero has given us the opportunity to relive the old days when we flew Carl Goldberg's Jr. Satan and Top Flight's Combat Kittens  but with the reliability of electric power.

The Scram is a great laser cut kit (like all of Stevens Aero kits). I really liked the relief cuts in the leading edge sheeting. This makes forming the 'C' leading edge very easy. I had some concerns that these laser cuts might weaken the leading edge. But after coming in straight down from a wing over at 90° I can confirm that the sheeting (airframe) is very strong.

The only complaint I have with the kit is that the lead out crimp tubes have too small an I.D. to allow for 3 strand of lead out. Easy enough to fit but the kit should use smaller lead out wire or larger aluminum tubing to make the crimp tube from.

Another issue that crept up was that the E-flite timer is no longer available. This isn't a big issue as the timer isn't very suitable for combat. I used a Hubin FM-9 timer. This is a fantastic timer. With this timer you can fly solo (you no longer need a pit crew) as there is a delay to allow you to get to the handle before the motor starts.  Unfortunately the Hubin FM-9 is 3mm wider than the space Steven's Aero gives you for a timer. I'd like to see Steven's Aero redesign the cut files for the motor mount to allow for the Hubin Fm-9 timer.

I also had issues with my big fingers and the soft balsa used in the two rear drag spars. I must have broken these a dozen times while covering the model in Steven's lite film.

So how does she fly? Well, fast enough to make me sick! 30 seconds into the flight on 35' lines and I was made painfully aware that I wasn't a teenager! Once I regained my equilibrium I think I can say that the Scram is almost as fast as the Jr. Satan with a Cox Black Widow. But unlike the Jr. Satan she can turn, almost as well as the Combat Kittens.

I think I have only about 6 flights on these Scrams and I'm still looking for the perfect CofG and control response.

I will say that electric 1/2A combat is great fun in that the motor runs are more consistent than any Cox 0.049 engine run. And the fact that the motor can turn a larger prop give better line tension.

I'd like to see StevensAero market these as a pair, much like Top Flight did with their Combat Kittens. After all these are combat planes and you need at least 2 for combat!

My set up was 3 cell 370 mAh battery, a Supra 2204-14 1400 Kv motor, a Funwing 10 amp ESC, Hubin FM-9 timer, and 6x4 APC prop. All at the end of 0.008 35' stainless steel lines.

The Hubin FM-9 timer can be had directly from Wilbert Hubin, whubin@kent.edu

All the best,
Konrad
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Scram, StevensAero, 1/2A electric combat (wood wing)

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Hank G B Z
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »

Konrad,

Looks like a fun plane.  I've never done CL combat, don't know how good i would be at it since i always fell over when i looked up while trying to do a loop or wing over when flying CL.  And yes selling in a pair does make more sense. 

Hank
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »

It has been brought to my attention that the Hubin FM-9 may not be the best option in timers for many as there is the cost of the programer, approximately $80 USD.

A more economical option may be the Hubin pot controlled FM-0c for about $23 from Brodak.
http://brodak.com/timer-fm-0c-for-super-clown.html
http://brodak.com/files/file/Timer%20FM-0c.pdf

I assumed that if one was flying electric combat that one was committed to C/L flying and want the best for their other models. The programer can be used for Hubin's other timers. The option it provides is well worth the cost for more advanced models.

All the best,
Konrad

bgrove
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »

Konrad:

Great looking plane and looks like fun.  I'm just about to post a build here for a Top Flite Combat Kitten.  I found the kit while cleaning up my building space after finishing the Das Splat and I have only built one of the two plane about 20+ years ago.  I do remember them being super fast with the .049.  I going to look at the Scram for techniques as I convert this to electric.  I'm thinking us using my mirco receiver instead of timer.  That way I'll have throttle control and I can stop it before I get dizzy and fall over  Smiley

Brad
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Scram, StevensAero, 1/2A electric combat (wood wing)
Konrad
Platinum Member

Topic starter
Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »

Kittens should be more forgiving as they have a bit more wing area. I had hours of fun combatting with Cox Black Widow powered Kittens. with the TD 0.049 not so much (it might have been a center of balance issue).

Not sure how you plan to use an RX to control your flights. You going to have a full RC rig with you in the circle and in the plane? With the Hubin I start out with 30 second time and work up. 90 seconds is about my limit! Truth be told one rarely got 90 seconds of good run time with the Cox.

Sorry I missed this earlier.

If wanting to grab my attention PM's work well as I get an email notification of a message.

All the best,
Konrad

Can you post rib profiles and maybe the plans to the plan gallery?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: