Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2018, 06:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 16" TLG???  (Read 475 times)
caseyboy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2015, 10:05:26 PM »

Looking for some plans or ideas for a 16" TLG. I also do not want to go the DT route so something simple and easy to replace would be perfect. I am willing to risk a few models for the simplicity. With cat gliders, I have lost 9 in the last few months. All part of the fun. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Mike
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 86

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:41:40 AM »

I think a Sweepette scaled to 16" with the stab enlarged 15% (and converted to V-tail) and the rudder on the bottom, enlarged 30%, would be a good starting point. I've got a 16" Thermal Piglet similarly modified. It's proven a great beginner's TLG.

Make your tailbooms from carbon. 1/8" CF tubes work well. Don't try to take the easy way out and try balsa, bass or spruce--it really isn't up to the task. I tried multiple times to get away with the cheap route like that and had a long list of miserable failures to show for it.
HoveToo
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »

There is a build thread at http://chuckglider.blogspot.co.uk/2008/03/dlg-plan-part-1-design-thoughts.html for a larger TLG that may help with the thought and design process.

Also there are plans for 300mm tlg on the plans pages and I don't think that has a DT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: