Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 24, 2017, 07:40:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anduril vintage combat versions  (Read 1073 times)
SpitVIII
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:31:22 AM »

I've started to build the Anduril from the Hippocket plans, which show square wingtips. However, when I browsed British combat flyers homepage (combatflyers.co.uk/planes) with photos of Anduril Mk I & II, both have  rounded 'raked' wingtips. The tails were also different. So, are there other plans available, or where the builders got their information from?
BatMan451
Copper Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »

Hi SpitVIII!

I've seen those photos too. Most notably Richards Evans holding a curved trailing edge version.

http://combatflyers.co.uk/planes-index.htm 

To fit into the Australian Vintage rules the plans have to have been published before 1971 (Inclusive?).

I'm building Richards Ironmonger for this years Australian Nationals, 3 off, but I would like to be building the Anduril.

Somebody at combatflyers.co.uk will know. If I get any further and get hold of other plans, I'll post details here.
SpitVIII
Bronze Member

Finland Finland

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »

I built my Anduril with the Hippocket plan dimensions but used the photos to shape the tail and wingtips as Mk. 1, the looks of which I like more. I powered it with an OS 15 FP equipped with a long silencer to get the cg right. It goes fast enough for an old stunt pilot like me. I have two old flying buddies from the 1960s and we are planning to continue combat from where we left then.
BatMan451
Copper Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »

I've ordered a set of Anduril Mk2 plans from Barry Baxter and I'll check them against the Hip Pocket version and build the one I like best. In the Australian vintage rules the contest director may require you to place your model over the plans to check dimensions, so I can't change the tips from the published plans.

I'm also getting together with an old flying mate for this years events. We haven't flown combat for at least ten years! F2D is looking a little hard with time I have available, but I think we can stay active with vintage.
BatMan451
Copper Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 06:10:52 PM »

Hi SpitVIII!

Some answers finally. I flew the Andurils built from the HPA listed plans at the Australian Nationals last week. The HPA listed plans are accurate in the overall dimensions and mine fly well. If you are looking for more on the Anduril have a look at my recent post on the  Barton's forum under combat. Responders came back with a couple of other plans.

The plans from Barry Baxter are NOT accurate enough for the Australian rules, but are otherwise well detailed and models built from them should fly well.
robmorgan
Nickel Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 10:40:54 PM »

The Anduril plan with straight trailing edge in incorrect . Mick Tiernan always had curved trailing edges . The plan shown looks a lot like my Jaguar design ( Available at barry baxter ) uk nats winner 1975 . Rob Morgan .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: