Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2017, 10:31:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Broadly Bostonian Cookup  (Read 40161 times)
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: November 07, 2016, 07:05:47 AM »

Thanks, I'll try it, Russ. Best flight time on that motor was 39 seconds. I need at least another 20 to be competitive in that hall.
glue_finger
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: November 24, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »

Committed to the Beancraft Bonanza.  Started the wing and bent landing gear wire.  This seems like it will be a nice quick build.  Should be time for another before the deadline.  I will have to start giving away airplanes soon.   Shocked

I was quite a lot overly optimistic in that post, to say the least.   Cheesy  Got a bit side tracked with work, I haven't done anything modelling related all year, right up to now!   Yesterday was free and gave time for a fuselage and tailplane.  The noseblock should be a solid block of balsa, but none on hand.  There is some green insulating foam about, so giving that a try.  I need to make wheels and maybe the prop, install rear peg and landing gear, cover and assemble.  The plan calls for making the prop from a soda bottle, so sounds fun, may take a stab at it. 

I took a nice stroll through the thread when glue was drying.  What a fantastic bunch of models.  Congrats to all. 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Broadly Bostonian Cookup
glue_finger
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: December 02, 2016, 09:07:40 PM »

A little more progress.  My covering technique has really gone downhill.  I like the foam noseblock though.  I filled the foam surface with lightweight spackle, covered with tissue and thin elmers glue, and gave it a coat of thin dope.  It weighs 1g with the thrust button.  

Still a good bit of finishing up to do.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:26:07 PM by glue_finger » Logged
korale
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: December 03, 2016, 06:24:00 AM »

I've had a lot less time to build models than I used to, however I have built a new bostonian.

I was trying to go for something that looked like a BT-13 / AT-6 Radial engined Trainer. Not too happy with the build quality but it looks ok after being painted.

I have found a (relatively) cheap source of 2 mil foam and this is built from that. needs a prop and few more details and it will be ready to fly.

Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: December 03, 2016, 05:16:25 PM »

The Beancraft Bonanza is looking great, Glue-finger! Lovely contrasting warm colours and very pleasing lines.

Korale- that's a quirky little beast too. I really like it. That's quite a canopy!
glue_finger
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: December 10, 2016, 04:57:32 PM »

Thanks Mr. Pete!  Very little left to do now, just bend one end of the prop shaft and make up a test motor.  It weighs a shade over 12g without the motor.  Tried making the soda bottle prop but it seemed like the pitch was very high, so this will just use a plastic prop for now.  Now to wait for some free time on a calm day.  No indoor space handy to here. 
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: December 10, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »

That's a pretty little model GF.
John
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: September 02, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »

Spending long hours with my son as he recovers in hospital. Haven't yet brought actual balsa onto the ward, but have found my mind wandering back to potential cartoon scale Bostonians. Here's my initial sketch for a "Fatchild 24"...
skycafe
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: September 02, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »

Spending long hours with my son as he recovers in hospital.

My best to you and your family.
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: September 02, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »

Thank you! Hopefully over the worst. Whilst Thomas had been zonked out or sleeping, this forum has been a very useful distraction for me lately and I really appreciate all the kind thoughts, as does he.

Anyway, although this Bostonian started as a bit of a time-filling doodle, I may even build it. I'm not sure how many Bostonians are on this thread now, but it must be quite a nice little collection. Perhaps I'll go through it and make a photo compilation.
Jonoton
Bronze Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #760 on: September 02, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »

Thank you! Hopefully over the worst. Whilst Thomas had been zonked out or sleeping, this forum has been a very useful distraction for me lately and I really appreciate all the kind thoughts, as does he.

Anyway, although this Bostonian started as a bit of a time-filling doodle, I may even build it. I'm not sure how many Bostonians are on this thread now, but it must be quite a nice little collection. Perhaps I'll go through it and make a photo compilation.

Hello,

I'll build one if you make basic plans!
Also, my well wishes to your son.

Jonathan
Crabby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 63

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: September 02, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »

Pete, I have been through this burst appendix thing, I know from experience it can go either way. As a modeler you can relate to doctors and surgeons. They can somehow figure out how to re-trim your sons health and get him flying again. The big difference is they get extra octane from "somewhere"

The Threadkiller!
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #762 on: September 03, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »

Thanks again, all for the kind comments and PMs regarding Thomas. I realise this forum, let alone this thread, isn't really the place for me to air these kinds of worries, but it has really helped. What with HPA and Facebook he's had well wishes from people on every continent! (except maybe Antarctica, but his cuddly penguin filled that gap). The messages have worked too as he's over the worst, allowed to eat again, and more importantly is laughing again. Should be home soon.

Okay, back to the plane stuff!
danmellor
Platinum Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: September 03, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »

Good News, Pete!

Like the Fatchild, too...

Dan.
Mefot
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: September 03, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »

Really pleased to hear about the young 'un Peter. Just remember to look after yourself too. Like the Fatchild although I suspect the undercarriage may weigh as much as the rest of the model. I'm tempted to design something myself although the backlog of builds is already very,very long !!!  Grin
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: September 03, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »

Should be home soon.
Good news Pete.
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: September 03, 2017, 02:39:50 PM »

Thanks, chaps!

Mefot, you're no doubt right about the u/c being heavier than the rest put together, but I think it's a necessary evil. The fun with doing these caricature aircraft is deciding on the features which make it what it is. With the Fairchild 24, the undercarriage is certainly such a feature. The other one in this case is maybe the curvy stringered centre section and topside.

OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: September 04, 2017, 05:20:50 AM »

There may alos be the possibility of doing all the UC strutery in balsa with only a tiny bit of wire as required for the wheels.
I hope junior is well on the mend now Pete and your full attention can be directed towards the Fairchild.
All the best.
John
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: