Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 18, 2018, 02:59:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A6 rules?  (Read 2284 times)
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 03:24:18 PM »

Jake is correct. OTOH I think VERTICAL tip plates on the wing and stab SHOULD be allowed to be sheet wood. If a few people agree then I would be willing to put in a rules change proposal to that effect.

This is interesting b/c I had intended to add vertical sheet tip plates to my last A6 wing but screwed up the angle on the tip ribs. Now I'm glad I didn't do it!

(My A6 flies a lot slower than most because of the large stab.)
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »

Thanks Jake and Bill.  I am glad I asked about the tip plates on my A-6 that is currently under construction. So I will build them from 1/16 x 1/16 square balsa sticks and cover them with Ultrafilm, like the wing. Bill, I appreciate your offer to put in a rule change proposal relating to tip plates on an A-6 model.  Perhaps it can be dealt with on the next round of A-6 revisions (whenever that might be).  As the intent of the event is to have a simple, easy to construct model, allowing solid tip plates would be consistent with that goal.  
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »

I also read the rules to mean 1/16sq for the wing wood as well but also interestingly the rules state that only wood has to be that size. If one were to make winglets from multi layered tissue then they will be literally paper thin. I know on indoor scale models guys use to make turtle decks and parts by laying one layer of tissue on a form then applying white glue and another layer etc. It was rather strong and would hold shape. Kind of like a paper mache. Not sure how heavy that would be though on an A-6. Now playing devils advocate, the rules say ribs have to be 1/32 x 1/16 minimum, consequently one could argue the point that a 1/32" sheet wood tip plate is in actually a specialized wing rib that is used only at the end of the wing or stab.  Grin

Don    
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »

Don -

You make several good points, as usual. I appreciate the input from all the experts on the tip plate issue regarding A-6 models. I want to have a good performing model, but I also want it to be legal.

I remember seeing Gary Hodson fly his A-6 over ten minutes at Tustin in 2011. See the attached picture.  The fin on his "Wart" A-6 had an LE that was a curved piece of 1/16 x 1/16 balsa (2 inch radius). It had no balsa wood TE and was "covered" with tissue that was colored like an American flag.  He arranged for an AMA record trial at that venue and his A-6 apparently passed inspection from a structural standpoint.  Unfortunately, Gary was denied a new A-6 record because his model came out a tiny fraction under-weight upon official weighing after the conclusion of the flight. It turned out that this unfortunate misstep did not matter in the end as I recall that Bill Gowen soon set a new A-6 record at the same venue that bettered Gary's 10+ minute flight.

Anyway, I suppose I could make tip plates for the wing just like Gary constructed his fin. Leaving off the balsa TE would save a little weight but, more importantly, might reduce drag. Sometimes the tiniest changes improve the performance of our indoor models ever so slightly. 

Do you think tip plates constructed like Gary Hodson's fin would be legal under the current A-6 rules?
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: A6 rules?
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »

Definitely they would be legal.

To change the subject a little, last year at Kibbie I saw hands down the nicest version of my design I've run across. It was built by Kurt Schuler (hope I didn't butcher his name)

Kurt hated the square wing and stab ends so made his with curved LE's. My model has the wing and stab LE's turned 45 degrees so they are diamond shaped in cross section. Kurt's did also. I asked him how he did it and I think he said that he laminated the tips from several layers of wood that wound up 1/16" square in the diamond shape. It was an amazing and impeccable piece of work. The whole model was flawless.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »

I never paid attention to A6 because I thought it required paper covering, but now that I see that plastic is allowed, it just seems like a great idea! Easily transportable and the 30 sq in wing limit leaves some room for design fun. I already drew one up and have building underway (there's some flying next week), goes together fast. Great for both beginners and older flyers (because of the bigger balsa sizes).

One comment on the rules - seems like there should be an explicit provision that no VP props or any gadgets are allowed, which would ruin the idea behind the event.

The rules already say that no special materials (boron, carbon fiber, foam) can be used, but maybe it should explicitly say that only balsa can be used for the structure?
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 10:11:54 PM »

As of yet no one has built a VP for A6 however if it was to happen it would not last long as the rules would be changed in the next rule cycle so the "victory" would be short lived. As far as specifying balsa, that would invalidate some records and many models as many people use basswood for the prop spar to get flex/flare of the blades. Since A-6 has been adopted as an AMA event I have not seen people looking to push the boundaries of the written rules that would require a rule adjustment. My guess is that any "abuse" would just be corrected in the next rules cycle so people do not bother doing it in the first place. Plus the A-6 event was around for some time before being adopted so I think that plays into the mindset a little. 

Don     
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 06:19:54 AM »

Thanks Don, it's good to know that the event will be protected from developments that have taken the fun out of other events! I think we can get several of our flyers to build one which would make for a fun contest.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: