Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
February 27, 2017, 06:12:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sopwith Tabloid build  (Read 3153 times)
FFmodeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2016, 05:09:20 PM »

Angry .... as you say, b******s!
Unbelievable the depths that some people are stooping to these days  Sad
Ace Dugan
Bronze Member

Kudos: 11

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »

On instrument bezels, craft stores that sell beading materials have these terrific little rings in assorted sizes and metal finishes.  What would be the back side of the ring can be easily flattened with sandpaper.  For glazing, just pour a little RC Formula 560(or similar) thinned down a bit on the instrument face.  It will flatten and dry clear and looks pretty good.  Some would say I don't have very high standards, but so what...
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »

There's a story down our part of the world that may be the stuff of urban legend relating to one such B who apparently tried to syphon fuel from a camper van but bingled it and got the wrong outlet.  The pile of vomit on the ground and piece of hose left in what was not the fuel filler told its own story.  I love that kind of justice!  Lovely job on the Tabloid by the way - I have been following this with interest.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2016, 06:39:38 PM »

Oh, just on instrument bezels, if you have access to someone friendly with a laser cutter you can do marvellous things in 1/64 or 1/32 ply but my preferred method is actually a wound esaki tissue tube on an appropriate thickness mandrel, tack glued with aliphatic or similar and then taken off the mandrel and sealed with thin cyano, then back on the mandrel and 'roll-sliced off with a sharp blade.  You can also make a stepped bezel by putting an extra wrap of tissue to the appropriate diameter on half of your paper tube and slicing both ends.
FFmodeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2016, 07:07:54 PM »

.... piece of hose left in what was not the fuel filler told its own story.

I hope they called him 'Elsan' from that day on  Roll Eyes
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2016, 07:44:53 PM »

Sorry I'm on a roll now with this instrument panel business.  The reason I go with the paper tube idea is just about weight, which I'm just hard-wired to reduce wherever possible Cheesy  In keeping with that I have found that a good thing to do is to get a nice piece of dark-ish 1/64 ply with a nice grain for the instrument panel.  I then sand away all of the layers except for the very last one, paper thin, which I then glue to the balsa former.  You can also use cunning paint techniques to represent wood grain nicely but there's just something about a real wooden panel...   There are a few pictures of both techniques over on my Thomas Designs Bristol Scout thread in F/F scale if anyone's interested.
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »

After a long time I'm back on the Tabloid. Since early September my Mum has had three strokes, heart trouble and severe anaemia involving four stays in hospital extending to 13 weeks and with Dad living with us and travelling back and forth to hospitals there hasn't been any time for modelling until a few days ago. Anyway, moaning over and on with the story.

I've made the wheels using two 1/64 ply discs sandwiching a 3/32 balsa disc of slightly smaller diameter and another on the outside face. The assembly was then glued onto a piece of aluminium tube that was put in a drill chuck and the outside balsa disc turned to a cone using nail buffing sticks from Boots (a chain drugstore). The cover was made from a piece of the vellum material that David JP gave me embossed with screw heads using a stylus pressed into the inside face. The tyres are black neoprene cut to length to match the circumference of the inner balsa disc and the ends glued together with CA then fixed onto the wheel. Then came the difficult bit as I decided to try Pete Iliffe's method of rolling pieces cut from the neck of a black balloon over the tyres to give a smooth, seamless finish. Eventually it worked but there were more than a couple of failures before I got a satisfactory result, believe me.

I then turned to the undercarriage and was horrified to find the I'd made the wire legs too long - the old measure twice and cut once not followed syndrome probably (I will learn one of these days!!!) and had to cut and re-bend the wire whilst it was still attached to the front bulkhead. I will gloss over the language used but suffice it to say that the dog went and hid. After much bodging I finally got the wire to the correct dimensions and clad it with 1/16 ply sanded to section, grooved at the rear and epoxied on. I made a sort of representation of the metalwork with which Sopwith arranged the bungee suspension using .010 nickel silver sheet soldered onto the wire legs with the axle also soldered on. Since most of the construction will be hidden by the wheels I haven't bothered with too much detail. The central bracket was made from .005 nickel silver glued on and the bracing added using black monofilament. The photographs make it look as though the bracing doesn't actually meet properly in the middle but that is just the angle - it does honestly! The final touches to date are the various brackets for bracing on the cabane struts made from .005 nickel silver epoxied on and all the metalwork painted grey. As with the tail struts, this is a guess as to colour based on the fact that photographs seem to show them painted and I believe that grey was a common colour for rustproofing fittings at the time.

So, there we are for now. Next comes making the interplane struts, mounting the wheels and assembly. I'm trying not to think about making all the turnbuckles for the rigging but with a few glasses of one of my Christmas presents made on Speyside I should pluck up enough courage....

Until next time, although with things as they are at present I'm not sure when that will be.

Dave

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Sopwith Tabloid build
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2017, 04:52:55 PM »

That's nice work Dave - it' good to see that you have had some time to spend on the Tabloid. That's not good news about your mum - all the best.

John
FFmodeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »

Best wishes to your Mum, yourself and your family Dave.

Build is looking great  Smiley
daveh
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »

Got a bit more done - wheels and top wing on and cabane rigging done. Not a lot but better than the last few months; I'm hoping to finish before it gets to the second anniversary of starting this model!

The turnbuckles are strips of tissue brushed with thinned UHU glue stick (i.e., a wet paintbrush rubbed on the surface) and wrapped round a piece of piano wire then slid off and left to harden. After fitting they are painted with what is sold in the model railway world as 'oily steel' colour. Not great but they look OK from a distance. I've also made the interplane struts so the next thing is to fit the lower wings before doing the main rigging.

TTFN

Dave
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 33

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »

Not great but they look OK from a distance.
This is one of those models, like those of Pete Iliffe, that look perfect no matter how close you get.
FFmodeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2017, 02:04:05 PM »

Loving the detail work here Dave  Smiley ... inspired to up my game!

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 33

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2017, 08:59:15 AM »

Dave, in your Tabloid research, have you ever come across a photo showing it with the roundels and elevator stripes, as featured in the Aeromodeller plans handbook - the plan by Ken McDonough?
cbaker65
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2017, 10:30:30 AM »

Got a bit more done - wheels and top wing on and cabane rigging done. Not a lot but better than the last few months; I'm hoping to finish before it gets to the second anniversary of starting this model!

The turnbuckles are strips of tissue brushed with thinned UHU glue stick (i.e., a wet paintbrush rubbed on the surface) and wrapped round a piece of piano wire then slid off and left to harden. After fitting they are painted with what is sold in the model railway world as 'oily steel' colour. Not great but they look OK from a distance. I've also made the interplane struts so the next thing is to fit the lower wings before doing the main rigging.

TTFN

Dave

Beautiful plane ,great job!... Cool....I'm droolin!

daveh
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2017, 02:49:18 PM »

Dave, in your Tabloid research, have you ever come across a photo showing it with the roundels and elevator stripes, as featured in the Aeromodeller plans handbook - the plan by Ken McDonough?

Sorry Bill, no I haven't. Mind you, quite early on in the project I decided that I was going to go for the Schneider cup machine so I didn't take much notice of any others.

Dave
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2017, 05:49:40 PM »

Tabloid...with the roundels and elevator stripes...
I've been trying to remember why that colour scheme sounded familiar, and eventually realised it was because it's this one in the Kenneth Munson 'Fighters 1914-19' book. This is not a good sign; I've often tried to find photo evidence for the schemes in the Munson series and I usually fail. Either he had a lovely collection of photos never seen anywhere else before or since, or else he sometimes just let the artists make up the colours and markings!

(Gorgeous model, Dave, by the way!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:02:50 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
daveh
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »

A bit more progress with the Tabloid; maybe it'll get finished before its second birthday  Roll Eyes Lower wings and interplane struts fitted, rigging completed, footstep on LH side and dummy strut fixing plates fitted and pitot tube on LH front interplane strut. When the aircraft won the Schneider trophy the pitot was fitted very neatly onto the strut with small brackets and the tubing seems to have been routed round the LE to the underside of the wing but when it was converted to a landplane the tubing was simply held on by what appears to have been a piece of doped canvas wrapped round the strut and poked through the top of the wing. At least there were no more fiddly little brackets to make. I've also started to do some very light weathering on the leading edges and the fuselage but so far the latter is confined to some very gentle scuffing of the aluminiumised panels and the lower edges of the fabric. So far I've chickened out of trying to reproduce the oil spatter but one of these days I may pluck up the courage (or maybe not....).

Next up will be the dummy cylinders that will be seen below the cowling - fortunately only two of them visible - then making a GWS prop look something like the real one and finally painting and fitting one of Dave Banks's excellent pilots.

Dave
faif2d
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »

That work is stunning and then you see one with a finger showing and it goes way beyond stunning!

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2017, 03:06:16 PM »

Gosh Dave, that is fantastic...

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
FFmodeller
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2017, 04:15:57 PM »

Marvelous Dave  Smiley
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2017, 04:37:02 PM »

Another HPA scale masterpiece on the way- full of charisma.
Congratulations.
John
scrubs
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »

Lovely! I'm jealous.

bill
Bill G
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2017, 01:21:58 AM »

Nice job on the Tabloid.  Always loved that aerodynamic nose, for such a vintage subject.

Thanks Russ. I spoke to Pete last Thursday and he'd just had the fuel line from his car's tank cut from underneath and the fuel stolen in his driveway whilst he was asleep. There are some b******s around aren't there?

Dave
Caught this old post and it reminded me of when we were around 14 at the summer cottage on a finger lake in NYS, and forgot to buy boat gas for the fishing trip we had planned.  So here myself and the neighbor boys were up at 4:30 all ready to go, with no gas.  We siphoned a gallon or so out of their grandfather's literally brand new Volvo.  Was a real pain, and not easy to get the hose in.  We spilled a small amount on the old tar and chip driveway, but somehow he saw it and was concerned, being a new car.  We found out that he went 17 miles to town to the dealership, and they never could find out why his car had supposedly leaked gas, as it didn't.  Sure enough, we never said a word about it.  Shocked
buzzard bait
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2017, 01:03:17 PM »

Lovely model!  Here's a note on one of the comments...

[/quote]
I've been trying to remember why that colour scheme sounded familiar, and eventually realised it was because it's this one in the Kenneth Munson 'Fighters 1914-19' book. This is not a good sign; I've often tried to find photo evidence for the schemes in the Munson series and I usually fail. Either he had a lovely collection of photos never seen anywhere else before or since, or else he sometimes just let the artists make up the colours and markings!

(Gorgeous model, Dave, by the way!)
[/quote]

Re: Tabloids w roundels, I would check Windsock, and also Fighter Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War by: W. M. Lamberton, E. F. Cheesman, J. D. Carrick, F. Yeoman and D. A. Russell; Harleyford publications Limited, Letchworth, Herts, England. 
Both the RNAS and RFC had Tabloids and I don't doubt that some of them looked like the one in Munson.  Note the ailerons, which indicate a later production model.
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »

Yes, certainly some Tabloid photos about with roundels. It was more the evidence for the stripey elevator that I was doubting.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: