Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 25, 2017, 11:22:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sopwith Tabloid build  (Read 3306 times)
daveh
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2017, 03:49:30 PM »

Breaking news - the Tabloid is finished after less (just) than two years gestation!

The prop is a reshaped GWS 6 x 3 that actually resembles the original. It would appear that Sopwith was playing around with different propeller types on this and the other racing Tabloid. Photographs of the Schneider trophy machine mainly show it with a wooden one having an asymmetric blade profile but there is one taken at Monaco before the race that shows one shaped like that on my model. When it was being towed back to shore after the race, though, it definitely had reverted to the earlier type. Then, after returning to England and being converted to a landplane, which is how I have modelled it, the other pattern reappeared and was also used on the other racing Tabloid. It also had the small spinner that I have modelled. The propeller appears to have been metal; at least there is no characteristic lamination pattern apparent in any photographs I have seen (admittedly only a few) so in the absence of any further evidence to hand I have chosen to paint it black. There was a triangular logo on each blade but none of the photographs I have is of sufficient resolution to show any detail so I have left it off. If anyone has any idea what it may have been, though, I'd be only too pleased to make a couple of decals for it. The spinner seems to have been bare metal so I have simply turned it from aluminium and epoxied it to the front of the prop.

The dummy engine is, sadly, fixed and does not rotate (hangs head in shame). In fact, it only consists of two dummy cylinders fixed to a plate inside the lower cowling. I simply didn't have room to make it a full nine cylinders that rotated as I had to put the receiver in the front of the engine space so that the CG was as far forward as possible. At least the two cylinders can be seen poking out underneath.

All that remains is to test fly it, which will have to wait for much more clement weather later in the spring. I hope to bring it to the indoor scale nats in April as a static exhibit. As yet there is no pilot but I have one of Dave Banks's little masterpieces waiting to be painted. The model balances at about 40% of the upper wing chord and weighs in at 79 grams. That seems a bit heavy for 17" span but the effective wing area is about the same as some of the sport models I've made, which weigh nearly as much, so I'm hoping that it won't gallop about the sky too quickly. I suppose that with a bit more care I could have made it lighter but my main concern was making it look as much like the real thing as I could so I accepted that the weight would suffer. Maybe next time I can add a bit more lightness.

Overall, I've really enjoyed building the little Tabloid and in the process discovering a lot about the early machines. There have been quite a few head scratching sessions along the way and several times I've broken off to build much simpler models whilst also experimenting with different techniques for the Tabloid. Whilst it's not a showpiece I'm quite pleased with the end result. My thanks to those HPA members who have helped with information and suggestions.

Dave  
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Sopwith Tabloid build
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »

A work of art Dave. Have you seen this site?
 http://www.kingstonaviation.org/
daveh
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »

A work of art Dave. Have you seen this site?
 http://www.kingstonaviation.org/

I have now, Bill. Thanks for the link.

Dave 
Pete Fardell
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »

Although you had seen it before, Dave...
Dave, I just came across this website whilst looking for something else:
http://www.kingstonaviation.org/100-years-ago/1914.html
Just wondered if you've seen it (as there are quite a lot of photos of various Sopwith Tabloid/Schneiders)
(None taken! Grin)

Seriously though, it's a little gem. A really lovely little model and I now want to build a Tabloid.
Are you planning to fly it indoors too? (eg. at the Shawbury indoor scale rc nats?)
Andrew Darby
Platinum Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »

Bloody awful, what are you doing posting here!?

Seriously, absolutely beautiful, inspiring stuff indeed  Grin Cheesy

Andrew

Hogwash I tell thee!
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2017, 05:21:38 PM »

A beauty! Looking forward to seeing it in April...and to be fair, there isn't a lot of the engine see (spinning)

It wasn't me
OZPAF
Titanium Member

Kudos: 36

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »

That's only 17" - I don't believe it! You've placed an enormous replica hand in the photos. Cheesy

Amazing effort Dave.

John
daveh
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2017, 04:28:34 PM »

Although you had seen it before, Dave...
Dave, I just came across this website whilst looking for something else:
http://www.kingstonaviation.org/100-years-ago/1914.html
Just wondered if you've seen it (as there are quite a lot of photos of various Sopwith Tabloid/Schneiders)
(None taken! Grin)

Seriously though, it's a little gem. A really lovely little model and I now want to build a Tabloid.
Are you planning to fly it indoors too? (eg. at the Shawbury indoor scale rc nats?)

Apologies Pete but when you get to my age remembering what happened 22 months ago is asking a lot!

I may fly the Tabloid indoors but only after I've tested it outdoors on a calm day over nice soft grass. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make the Shawbury nats, even though I only live ten miles away, as life is a bit complicated at present but I hope to get to the F/F scale nats in April.

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: