Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 22, 2017, 11:43:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comet Super Stars Stuka Build  (Read 699 times)
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 57

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2017, 03:55:27 PM »

Well call me crazy but I finally to build one of my Comet Super Stars series for rubber freeflight out of the box. I seen a couple of these built and hanging from the Hobby Store many moons ago and always thought they were neat looking, but back in the day I could not afford the kit.  Of course once I learned how to build and fly I never thought about building one of these knowing they would not fly well.  The kit has a 31 inch wingspan, comes with a lot of plastic and the covering looks like domestic paper or maybe silkspan, as you can see it is larger than normal Comet covering. The wood is die cut, but now cut completely through and directions advice the parts mush be cut out with knife.  To do this I first pencil the area to be cut out marking the die cut parts.  I then apply tape to the back side to prevent wood splitting, then I proceed to cut the parts out.  This is the longest part of the build so far.  For glue I am going with Testors wood cement and white PVA glue.  I like these glues because they dry clear and don't leave colored glue joints.  The build went together pretty fast but as you can see I still have a lot of sanding ahead of me.  I also have to cut out the plastic parts and get them prepared. 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Comet Super Stars Stuka Build
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 03:56:29 PM »

Some more pictures
Re: Comet Super Stars Stuka Build
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 06:30:03 PM »

Looks great scigs.  Built a few back in the day. Don't really care
for the heavy fuselage tube but the overall layout seems practical.
Never did get any of mine to fly due to a lot of weight. Hope yours
comes out lighter than mine and with better flight results. Please
keep us posted. These could possibly be reworked into something
better than they were originally. Be good for powered FF or RC.

Skyraider
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 07:09:52 PM »

Scigs,

OMG! Didn't you make provisions to remove the tube after it's framed up?  I could get these to fly reasonable well when I drilled the formers so that I could stick in the point of a hobby knife and cut the center meat of the formers out to remove along with the tube and also rebuilt the tail feathers, they were awfully tail heavy.  The only one I got to fly stock was the Zero.

Howard

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 09:06:57 PM »

I know Howard, crazy.........Sometimes I question what I am doing Wink
Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 09:38:08 PM »

Scigs,

OMG! Didn't you make provisions to remove the tube after it's framed up?  I could get these to fly reasonable well when I drilled the formers so that I could stick in the point of a hobby knife and cut the center meat of the formers out to remove along with the tube and also rebuilt the tail feathers, they were awfully tail heavy.  The only one I got to fly stock was the Zero.

Howard
Same with me, the Zero and C-150 were the only ones that flew on rubber. But always lost a wing on landing. I resorted to 0.020 control line. I've been thinking of using some of the X series as candidates for RC.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Marc*G
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 12:02:12 AM »

. The wood is die cut, but now cut completely through and directions advice the parts mush be cut out with knife.  To do this I first pencil the area to be cut out marking the die cut parts.  I then apply tape to the back side to prevent wood splitting, then I proceed to cut the parts out. 
You always sand the back of the sheet. What made you do it differently this time?
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 12:40:34 AM »

Comet did not cut their sheets all the way through like Guillows or Sterling.
Marc*G
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 12:56:55 AM »

I thought that was the reason for sanding.
cast_off_vortex
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 05:53:00 AM »

Good luck with the Stuka. I too built one of these kits, the FW-190 when they first came out. A friend built the ME-109. The wings were super thick and very stiff. The fuse heavy. I do not recall how much weight I had to add to the nose, but it needed a hefty toss during trimming. Mine did not fly very well.

scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 09:24:17 AM »

Marc,  That is with kit makers that would cut almost completely through, but with Comet some of the parts are only die cut half way through. That would be a lot of sanding.  I am not expecting much for a flight with this kit, I just like it and wanted to build it.  I will test glide first then add rubber for a short flight.  I like building old kits out of the box with all the original parts and just happy to get a few second flight.  I figure since I am too busy to fly in a club right now I might as well just build for fun.  This project was even a bit too much for the time I have to work on it but it is nice when you start to see all the old parts come together. 
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 02:21:00 PM »

I know Howard, crazy.........Sometimes I question what I am doing Wink
Scigs,

Just from your build photos I would say that the Super Star Stuka defines the expression "flying lumber yard".  Actually, I have some of them in my stash. I was thinking of building the Sopwith Camel (36" span) for RC.  Anyway, Good Luck with the Stuka!

Howard

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »

...Same with me, the Zero and C-150 were the only ones that flew on rubber. But always lost a wing on landing. I resorted to 0.020 control line. I've been thinking of using some of the X series as candidates for RC.
Konrad,

On any Comet, Guillows or other design with two piece wings glued on the sides, always run bamboo or aluminum tube wing locating pins through the fuselage to keep the wings on and aligned.  Some of the mid wing designs do take a little thought if you're flying rubber.

Howard

Konrad
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 05:07:37 PM »

Konrad,

On any Comet, Guillows or other design with two piece wings glued on the sides, always run bamboo or aluminum tube wing locating pins through the fuselage to keep the wings on and aligned.  Some of the mid wing designs do take a little thought if you're flying rubber.

Howard
I tend to use carbon as my carry through spar (aluminum bends). The issue I've noticed is that the carry through spar causes stress risers, that unless properly engineered cause more damage than having the wings fail at the fuselage joint.  But yes, the wings on many Guillow and Comet kits are poorly engineered, often with little more than just butt joints holding then to the fuselage. 

With the Star or X-Series the weight (inertia) killed these models as the wing tips touched the ground.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
bsadonkill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 06:26:55 PM »

Your the best Guillows, Comet, Sterling, model builder i have ever seen! Grin But, why not modifiy your models to get them to fly better? Are you trying to full fill a boy hood dream? All those model kits at local department store, that claim to be true flying models. Huh
FFScott
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »

Maybe go nuts on it with a dremel tool to reduce the "flying  lumber-yard" aspect.

Even so, if I came across one, I'd probably try to build it.  I'd love to build the FW-190.  I built their Zero years ago and it came out very nice.....and heavy.
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »

If I am going to spend much time modifying a kit to fly better I sure heck would not build Guillows, Sterling or Comet kits. There are much better plans and kits out there that fly great.  I just enjoy building these kits out of box as they were designed. Something about old vintage print wood, over designed models that appeal to me.  Most of my planes will never be entered into competition, but they are built to fly, even if the flight is short.  I have all the plastic parts cut out and getting ready to cover soon.
Marc*G
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 11:58:33 PM »

Sorry to go off topic, but what happened to the Sterling Corsair you were working on?
bsadonkill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 12:03:19 AM »

I understand , i like to build these kits to. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: