Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2018, 05:21:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Advice for newcomer to ff scale  (Read 558 times)
no1dieselman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »

Hi
I live in the uk and really want to make the effort and enter some ff scale comps. I am an experienced builder and free flighter, but sometimes a bit short of patience for finishing a model.  Is there a really simple model to start me off? I have mills .75 and 1.3 for power, but cant find a suitable model. Any advice would  be appreciated.
Cheers
Doug
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 79

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:59:47 PM »

in my Opinion the most important part of building a Scale model is to pick a model that interests you so you can enjoy putting  the effort into finishing the model down to the last detail. I would suggest you look through the Aeromodeller Plans list    www.aero-modeller.com/free-plans-list-catalogue/  or better still search Outerzone for printable plans
www.outerzone.co.uk/browse_plans/index.asp
    Finally you need to obtain the Scale modellers bible
www.amazon.com/Scale-Aircraft-Free-Flight-Coates/dp/1854861670

You have a great start with the choice of 2 suitable engines, I would start with a model for the .75.

Dave
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »

I was going to suggest the Coates book, but Dave beat me to it.
I am not a scale aficionado by any means, but our esteemed billdennis747 had a plan published a while back for a DH 75 Hawk Moth. It was, I believe, touted as suitable for a first foray into power FF Scale, and it would be close to the right size for a 0.75cc Mills, I think.

John

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 48

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:49:23 PM »

Fearnley Luton Minor in Aeromodeller '50s is a sure flier for your .75.

Built mine in 1962, has been recovered once and is still living well.  Has even won and placed in comps.

IMHO the only thing against it is the zero dihedral on the real one, but for FF a per the plan you do need some of that stuff.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 08:59:57 PM »

Yes but there is one in the UK (G-AYSK) that has dihedral and features a simple colour scheme.  Just a few simple changes from the Fearnley plan (fin shape, U/C and engine)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 02:18:25 AM »

All good advice Doug. The Luton could be built for the three events August onwards. Where are you based?
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 02:22:45 AM »

Interesting fun fact.  G-AYSK is probably the only prototype to have emulated its free flight model counterpart.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 02:24:16 AM »

And you won't need a pilot!! Grin
no1dieselman
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 03:35:02 AM »

Thank you for your replied . I live in Grimsby Lincs Bill. The Fearnley Luton doesnt appeal for some reason, even though Eric was in my club.I will get the Coates book and have a read.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 03:51:13 AM »

Hello Doug
So you are within easy reach of Barkston, Buckminster, Luffenham. There are other scale modellers in that neck of the woods.
Dave is right - you need to be interested in the model. I suggest you go through a few designs in the plans handbook (if you have one) or Outerzone and come back to us. Between us, we've built most of them. Possibles include Eindekker, Bird Dog, Puss Moth, Bellanca Skyrocket, Tipsy Nipper, Sopwith Swallow, Strutter, SE5a, AW FK8, Avro 504k. Size can be adjusted to suit your engines
I've sent a pm
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 04:33:40 AM »

Doug, can I suggest you get along to a couple of the scale events and chat to all the competitors for inspiration and pick their brains on which type flies best too.
Buckminster Retro and Vintage Gala on July 6,7 & 8th is hosting the resurrected Eddie Riding Memorial Trophy and the August Bank holiday Nats 25,26 & 27th has the Scale FF Trophy events as Bill mentioned.

John M
no1dieselman
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 04:58:04 AM »

I was at the free flight nats and chatted to a few there. The standards of some are amazing. Unfortunately I am working for most events until the festival of flight at Old Warden.
I always wanted to build the Bristol M1C but after seeing one in the flesh it put me off for soms reason. Another aircraft I am drawn to is the Neiuport, are these a reasonably easy subject to do?
Cheers
Doug
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 05:11:32 AM »

The problem with the Bristol is reconciling the spinner with downthrust.
The Nieuport goes well. The Bagley Nieuport for a 1.3 is not very accurate but can be altered. I did one with a flat top wing with no problem. I think Bagley's has a little dihedral which makes it fool proof.
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 05:18:38 AM »

There's a Gordon Whitehead 24" Nieuport on outerzone.  All sheet for a Dart but quite accurate and capable of being finished convincingly.  Another option is DM Collins 28" Sopwith Camel also for Dart and on OZ.  This could be a very nice little model
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 05:47:43 AM »

Collin also has a Nieuport on Outerzone. For your Mills 75 i would enlarge to 33-34", lighten, forget the pendulum and use a half inch under each wingtip
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 06:00:52 AM »

Also Doug McHard's fokker D7 and Gloster Gladiator worth a look
no1dieselman
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 04:06:37 PM »

Thanks again for your responses. I am leaning towards the Collins version enlarged as Bill suggested. I found the plan for the Whitehead version in the loft, I think I will make one whilst I am waiting to get my plan enlarged.
Cheers
Doug
Ausmodeller
Bronze Member

Kudos: 4

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 09:16:06 PM »

I've always thought the Whitehead all sheet models could be made quite convincing models and would be pretty rugged for sport flying. I've got loads of darts too...( and so has Doug, he bough two from me!)
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: