Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 26, 2018, 04:33:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nieuport 11 Bebe - Build  (Read 28665 times)
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: May 24, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »

Sorry to hear of the slight set-back .... but good to hear that it has took to the air well to start.

At first glance on my phone, that starboard tissue tear looked like one of the stork emblems used on Nieuports!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 89

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: May 24, 2017, 05:51:24 PM »

That's bad luck, but probably better that it happened now rather than when fully finished or during a contest. Flights sound promising though!
ZK-AUD
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: May 24, 2017, 08:06:15 PM »

I'm with Urs on that one - Reverse S hook for sure - game over.  Lucky this happened before you went to town on the markings Rich.

One other thing, I had a related type of issue in the early days of my Bristol Scout when it came in for a hard arrival and the weight of the braided motor took it sideways and split the covering.  I was nervous about having to repeatedly re-do markings etc so when I re-covered the panel I took the opportunity to glue an OHP film baffle on the inside of the framework on both sides just at the point of most likely contact.  No issues since. 
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: May 24, 2017, 10:16:38 PM »

That's a shame, Rich. Good to hear it was looking promising, though!

Good luck,

Dan.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: May 25, 2017, 02:29:53 AM »

S hooks are great but if they are made as part of the shaft, it can be tricky getting a big, fully-wound motor on. I have found myself in a slippery pickle before.
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 59

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: May 25, 2017, 04:46:42 AM »

Do you use a Crocket (sp?) hook in your setup Bill?
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: May 25, 2017, 05:20:56 AM »

In years of flying "rubber" I have always used Tim Grey hooks or home made aluminium hooks with just a simple bend on the shaft to accept the hook and can't remember one coming off.  I pre-tension (don't like the word "braided") motors and wrap a D/T band two or three turns around the motor just behind the hook when being made up.  John Barker's rubber turns calculator can tell you how many pre-tension turns are needed to maintain tension in the motor as it unwinds.  I have never tried the anti-climb shaft hooks - looks too difficult to make and attach the wound motor - unless you are using a Tim Grey hook - and then you don't really need it.  OK for small indoor motors though.

The model looks lovely and I suspect there is another convert to tissue over mylar.  For smaller models just use mylar.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: May 25, 2017, 05:48:39 AM »

Do you use a Crocket (sp?) hook in your setup Bill?
I use Gray hooks from Flitehook. Cheap (I lose a lot) and a range of sizes. Unfortunately the biggest ones, where I might be using a 14swg shaft, are still 16swg.
As I said, they sometimes fall off with a loose motor (hence the tube trick) but I suspect the shaft hook radius is critical, and the wide open one, as shown on many plans by experts, seems better than a tighter curve.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: May 25, 2017, 05:57:08 AM »

I pre-tension (don't like the word "braided")
Me neither. Puts me in mind of children's holiday hair, but then I don't like 'loops' or 'stabs' either.
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: May 25, 2017, 06:28:01 AM »

Grin  FYI  4 bebes are touring Canada to celebrate the 100th of VIMY RIDGE.  that was the battle where CANADA  came together.  they are in NB this week and moving west ward over the next couple of months.

for info see http://www.vimyflight.ca/tour-schedule-1.html

jim Grin
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: May 25, 2017, 06:49:59 AM »

I visited Vimy Ridge many years ago. Before then I had this idea that trenches were long, straight and half a mile apart.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 37

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: May 25, 2017, 06:04:39 PM »

All patched up now (with mylar and tissue) and awaiting a second coat of paint. I have now run out of time - unless I pulled a sicky tomorrow... but I wouldn't do that. I'm travelling up on Friday evening so if I get up nice and early on Saturday morning, maybe I can do some field modelling.

It wasn't me
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: May 27, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »

Grin here are photos of my build HA HA

the ceiling was only 400 feet so it didn't fly.

this is a 7/8 full size plane

JIM Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Nieuport 11 Bebe - Build
Glenn (gravitywell) Reach
Gold Member

Kudos: 32

Canada Canada

It ain't pretty, but its me!

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: May 28, 2017, 09:34:55 PM »

I've never understood why someone would build a 3/4 or even worse 7/8th scale plane.  Why not go the extra 1/8th and have a full size?  Is there something that gives them a break on flying a non-full scale ship that I am not aware of?

Glenn Reach
The only time you want Guillow's balsa, is when its worth its weight in gold!
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: May 28, 2017, 11:34:37 PM »

I read David Thurston's book "Design for Flying" many years ago.  His approach to designing a plane is to start out with an existing reliable engine.  The engine weight and power will dictate most aspects of the design including sizing. In this case they knew the engine had to be compact like a radial but for some reason they chose not to go with a radial probably due to availability. That further constrained what engines they could use.  

Edit: another interesting fact is the gnome rotary had a particularly outstanding power to weight ratio.  So a Gnome producing 110 h.p. weighed about 240 lbs whereas the later Warner Scarab producing 125 h.p. weighed about 290 pounds.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:55:33 PM by strat-o » Logged
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: May 29, 2017, 05:00:31 PM »

I have just got back from a thoroughly fun weekend at RAF Barkston Heath with the Bébé.

I managed to paint on some roundels in camp on Saturday morning before taking the model over to be statically assessed (an unfinished model is one thing, but to not have any markings at all seemed too much/ little to bear). Lacking in any real detail and finish, I was pleased with the static score as it did quite well. Saturday evenings flying rounds were postponed until Sunday due to the strong wind. Six rounds were flown in flat calm on the Sunday but I wasn't confidant I would get a decent qualifying flight until the second flight flew really nicely, landing just 2 seconds shy of a qualifying time. The model flies satisfyingly slowly - those big, heavily cambered wings are working well. I added an extra loop of rubber and built up the turns cautiously, finally getting a decent qualifying flight in on the fifth. The sixth flight was just short, but ended with a perfect put down onto the tarmac!

It was a big surprise to discover at prize-giving that the Bébé finished the competition in second place overall. There is much to do to get it finished, and a wee bit more power should see the model gain some altitude.

It wasn't me
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: May 29, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »

Woohoo! Result! Very well deserved- it looked fabulous in flight and that gentle touchdown on the runway where it sat with its 'engine' ticking over was also a joy to watch.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: May 29, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »

Another pic, from my dodgy phone camera...
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: May 29, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »

That's the one that crashed! Quite a good, if predictable, 'what happened next' pic! Mel got some flights on video, but unfortunately the quality has come out really poorly for some reason.

It wasn't me
Jack Plane
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: May 29, 2017, 05:52:46 PM »

WELL DONE Rich!

She also looks really good!  Cheesy
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: May 29, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »

Thank you. (But it's a he).

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: May 29, 2017, 05:59:22 PM »

Here is a nice pic of the Nieuport XI feeling inadequate alongside the might of Ivan's fantastic Spitfire.

It wasn't me
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 159

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: May 29, 2017, 07:06:34 PM »

Congratulations Rich. I bet it didn't take long to forget the last minute rush once you started flying.

John
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: June 09, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »

Exam done. I will soon be coming in to land from my work/revision/work/revision madness so that I can start adding the finishing details to this. Aiming for Oxford Dreaming Spires 2nd July for the Bébé's next outing.

It wasn't me
Hepcat
Platinum Member

Kudos: 271

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: June 09, 2017, 06:28:45 PM »

What a great picture of a Bebe in #490 but how strange to see a YOUNG man holding a model aeroplane.  Was he someones son who had come along to help with retrieving?

John
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: