Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 18, 2018, 10:49:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nieuport 11 Bebe - Build  (Read 26950 times)
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 37

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: June 10, 2017, 05:14:51 AM »

Young at heart. Immature. And looking goooood!

It wasn't me
packardpursuit
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: June 14, 2017, 12:22:43 PM »

Keep working on this project. Never finish. Grin This thread should go on and on! If you feel a need, you may start a similar project... Shocked
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: June 14, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »

I am running out of time for Oxford - just how I like it, it seems. Got a few boring life related things to do, then I'll get her out of the box for some enhancement. Don't know what I'll start on first. Maybe the correct roundel colours for the aircraft I am modelling to start. There is loads to do - rigging, strut brackets, control linkages, grubbifying, cockpit coaming, lettering, gun mount (which I'm particularly looking forwards to getting done) and more...

It wasn't me
tubegeek
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: October 12, 2017, 06:53:58 PM »

I've just finished reading this entire astonishing thread. Very inspiring! The model radial engine is especially convincing, and the heroic effort in hammering the aluminum cowling has given an outstanding result as well.

Rich Moore, best of luck with the final touches. Quite a model.
Mark Braunlich
Gold Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: November 15, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »

Hi Rich,

Wondering how this project is going.  I recently joined a Nieuport Aircraft group on Facebook and have learned an awful lot about Nieuports in the last couple of weeks.  Lots of learned folks from all over the world.  One thing I learned is that RNAS aircraft in the first half of WW1 were likely as not to have French roundels.   Your Nie.XI,  N394 is likely one of them!   The color artwork you posted earlier, shown again here is wrong....the roundels on the wing are French.  The fuselage roundel is likely a RNAS add-on and is British.  Red usually shows up darker than blue with the film used then (orthochromatic).  Check out the photo attached.....the wing roundel is French.   Big difference in French and British blues too, the rudder should include the French blue.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Nieuport 11 Bebe - Build

Mark
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: November 16, 2017, 02:38:00 AM »

Hey Mark. I painted the roundel colours in a field at 6.00 in the morning. Not my best time for brain function - I used photos of Paris example for roundel colours, not photos of my modelled prototype. Thanks for pointing out that it is only the fuselage roundel colours that are actually wrong! I now notice the roundel on underside of upper wing as well. This model has been sulking in its box since May as I haven't got time for modelling at present. One day, I'll get it out and finish it - there is a lot of work still to do.

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: April 18, 2018, 03:18:19 PM »

I am soon to resurrect this model from it's dark, but not forgotten, box...

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: May 12, 2018, 04:06:12 PM »

OK, so I have entered the outdoor rubber scale Nats again and dug out the Bebe. Boy, this thing is huge.

I have a couple of weeks to add a few finishing touches that were missing last year. Other than a bit of painting, the main things I want to do is change the interplane strut fixtures for magnets, add paper brackets to the cabane struts, some stitching on the front of the fuselage and a windshield. Now, even I should be able to get this done without too much of a rush.

Oh, and then there is the gun mount and aileron horns. Probably a long list of other things as well. Here goes...

It wasn't me
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 79

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: May 12, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »

Still looks great, Rich! Glad you're entering it and I'll see you there. I'm sure you know this, but the May Nats in two weeks will be largely flying only, so from a competitive point of view there is no great hurry to get all the extra little details on. The fully static judged event is back to August.

(Someone correct me quickly if I've got that wrong!)
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: May 12, 2018, 04:25:33 PM »

Thanks Peter - I didn't realise this. I will hopefully still finish what's missing though. Especially the roundels which, as Mark kindly pointed out above, are wrong on the fuselage. Or maybe I should finish building the big Veron Fury for the outdoor kitscale instead. It does change things a bit. Glad the august Nats is back on. Hopefully I can make it to that as well.

I'm feeling a bit out fof touch with things.

It wasn't me
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: May 12, 2018, 04:50:45 PM »

There is still some account taken of the finish and detailing in the May comp I think, but it's not nearly so significant as the flying. Bill will put you straight on this. I know there was a lot of talk about whether to keep the static judged 'championship' events in May too, but I think it was decided to put those back to the August date to keep a freeflight presence at the RC nats. Please don't anyone change or make any plans until someone in the know confirms all that though as I'm quite prone to getting the wrong ends of sticks!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: May 12, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »

Yes its Flying Only and Outdoor KS in May. There used to be a 10% mark for static realism but nobody liked it so it's gone. Trophy events in August
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: May 13, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Bill.

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: May 21, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »

Something is happening...

I've fitted small magnets to the struts. They aren't perfect, but will certainly allow everything to disassemble upon hitting the ground with anything more than a bumpy landing.

Pic below shows an attempt at the stitched seam. This'll look much better when the cockpit coaming is done. I have a strip made up for the other side but I've put it 'somewhere safe' where I can't find it. I have a horrible feeling a family member may have binned it. I may have to make another (I can print off another paper template for the pin layout).

I have repainted the red on the upper wing roundels with a new mix of red. I am happier with this new colour. Fuselage roundels have been stripped off ready for new paint which might possibly happen before the weekend. The other missing roundels (upper wing undersides, lower wings) won't.

Plan for the weekend is to wind her up and let her go. Hopefully she'll fly the same as last year. I won't have time to test fly before the weekend.

It wasn't me
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: May 21, 2018, 05:50:53 PM »

Looking good, Rich. Looking forward to seeing it flying again.
Good idea to make another stitched seam. Absolutely guaranteed that the missing one will show up as soon as you've done it, so then you'll have a spare.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: May 22, 2018, 03:13:30 AM »

Ha! You're wrong - I found it before making another. Now where's the tailplane...

It wasn't me
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: May 26, 2018, 06:10:35 AM »

Well, I won't be flying this weekend after all, due to unforeseen circumstances. Plenty of time to finish everything before August then.

It wasn't me
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: May 26, 2018, 07:51:55 AM »

That's a shame, Rich, but looking forward to seeing it in August. I won't be at Barkston tomorrow now either, although I am there now. Have managed to write off my big yellow Fairchild before kit scale even started!
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »

Oops. Write off? Oh dear. I might get to Oxford in July, if it's on.

It wasn't me
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: May 26, 2018, 09:45:57 AM »

" Have managed to write off my big yellow Fairchild before kit scale even started!"  Oh no Pete - what happened ?    Embarrassed

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
F F modeller
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: May 26, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »

Opted for tomorrow because the wind looks a little lighter .... then look what happens  Sad
Sorry that I will miss you both. Got it wrong the other way round last year!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: May 26, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »

That's a shame, Pete! Could be time to build the Herr...?

Cheers,

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: May 26, 2018, 02:34:29 PM »

Could be! My family of Fairchildren (to coin Russ's term) is now somewhat depleted. I've put the gory details of this one's demise on the 'went flying' thread.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: May 26, 2018, 04:36:20 PM »

Couldn't go flying, but managed to stick some bits on. Painted paper to mimic pressed steel brackets for u/c and struts. A bit rough, but I reckon the real ones were probably a bit bashed about in the field.

It wasn't me
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: