Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 21, 2018, 02:28:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Can you use EZB design for the living room flyer  (Read 3542 times)
ykleetx
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 12:52:28 AM »

SSM is positive 12%, so it's good.  I noticed that you use 1" for the wing tail separation, so I think the effect on the SSM calculation is minimized.  (This is good.)

You can see the effect on SSM when you play with the model specs, especially stab size, tailboom length, and nose length.
MikeFF
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Viet Nam Viet Nam

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 11:23:40 AM »

For the wing/tail separation I referenced the Coslick's EZB measurement inside the BH Spreadsheet itself, figured I can't go wrong if I copied it.

Here are pictures of the wood I have for the build.

Regards,
MikeFF
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Can you use EZB design for the living room flyer
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »

For IMS wood I always re-measure the sheet thickness and recalculate the density. I think the density shown is an average for the block the sheet was cut from. The actual density of the sheet can be a lot more or a lot less. The thickness stamp is usually pretty close to correct.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »

For IMS wood I always re-measure the sheet thickness and recalculate the density. I think the density shown is an average for the block the sheet was cut from.

Lew told me that is how he labeled them.
MikeFF
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Viet Nam Viet Nam

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 07:39:17 AM »

Thanks for the tip to recalculate the density...I did that and here is the out come,

From the left 5.1, 5.4, 4.1, 3.8, 4.8, 4.4...but I didn't get the chance to measure the thickness as my caliper is buried deeper than the wood.

Regards
MikeFF
fitnezz
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »

Thanks for all suggestions from earlier posts. I will go for the lightweight poonker this weekend Smiley In the meantime I have made models which give me more than 3 minutes in my super tight appartment Wink The one I put on youtube is lightweight (for beginner like me) 0.75g. version of 'the fly'. Here is the video. It was dificult to get good video in this space, but usually I need to pick up the model less times, than on the video. My record for now is: 03'12sec here. Will target 4 minutes now and try to figure out bigger flying space.

FF - flying first! - building second?
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 88

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »

Considering how tight that space is, you're doing really well. That model flies very nicely. You've just got to find a bigger place to fly. That plane wants freedom!

Also, I'd recommend learning to steer the model by catching its prop with a stick anytime it starts heading for the wall. You can significantly increase your flight times that way, and it's the approved method for competition. You subtract any time the prop is stopped from the final flight time.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 01:39:17 PM »

For IMS wood I always re-measure the sheet thickness and recalculate the density. I think the density shown is an average for the block the sheet was cut from. The actual density of the sheet can be a lot more or a lot less. The thickness stamp is usually pretty close to correct.

I did some of this labeling for Lew, and that wasn't how I did it.  He had me weigh each sheet and separate them into piles of approximate density (like 4.1, 4.3, 4.5, etc).  The problem is I was using a fairly crude homemade wire spring scale, and the sheets were not all the same thickness, width, or length.  It was all very approximate so it was easy to be off by half a pound or more on the density.  Also, I only did this for a small portion of what he had in stock (mostly C grain motor tube wood).  It wouldn't surprise me if he sorted by block weight for other stuff.  He was more interested in efficiency than accuracy for most things.
fitnezz
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Netherlands Netherlands

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 03:46:34 AM »

Maxout, great to hear! Smiley Thanks for the suggestion with the steering, will try that out!

FF - flying first! - building second?
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 01:09:17 AM »

As I recall, I found it easy to hit the minimum weight for Mini Stick,  with no rolled motor stick. The  wood wasn't all that fancy either, though it was on the light side. People build EZB's at less than half a gram, with solid sticks and no bracing! (EZB has 157 percent larger span) But that's not easy. Hard enough that I can't hit those weights. Then again, I haven't been terribly serious.
green-man
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

United Kingdom United Kingdom

One of my F1D VP propeller hubs - weight 104 mg.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 05:44:03 AM »

Hi Mike.

What are you doing in Vietnam ShockedHuh
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: