Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 24, 2018, 08:22:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tip Launch Airfoil development  (Read 1486 times)
dylan1024
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

South Africa South Africa

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:11:05 AM »

Hi Everyone

I am creating this topic in hopes that we can create a bit of a knowledge base and hopefully develop some interesting TLG foils and wings.

Could someone perhaps post the development of the stanBEmod2..... where is all the work/ info that went into this foil? info like this seems lost in the woodwork.

dylan1024
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 02:16:25 AM »

I have asked admin to upload our Tern Free TLG wing XFLR file here as a base.

please share your own/ any other analyses you may have in this regard.

we are unsure of what values to use in XFLR... can anyone help to get an initial study out?
dylan1024
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:32:26 AM »

I am attempting to upload the xflr file as a jpeg. if you want to use it just delete the .jpg file extension.
Attached files
* TernFree Mouldie.wpa.jpg (8.85 KB - downloaded 127 times.)
Randy Reynolds
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:06:53 AM »

The NFFS Symposiums have a fair amount of date on these airfoils.  Go to the website and check the index.  Good Luck!
dylan1024
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »

Thanks Randy..

Although the sympo seem like i good source of info, it is nearly impossible for me to get a copy as we no longer have a working postal service in South Africa.

No disrespect, it just seems odd to me for us to all pay to share information with each other. its one of the factors that limits the growth of freeflight in my opinion.

As a long time aeromoddeller the internet and online community have always been a great source of information. When I became interested in freeflight all that info is hidden.

all I am trying to achieve is a common, open place for some development to happen so that others may learn freely.
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 19

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »

I was/am in hopes that Tony Mathews (aka, Tmat) would respond to your airfoil development query. 
You might like to send him a PM(personal message) from this forum.
I believe I am also aware of the process Stan uses to make most (all?) of his changes/upgrades/new stuff/etc...
He is mainly a superior pragmatist!
For example: the so-called "Stanfoil" was first done on a CLG (catapult glider) back in the mid to late 1990s.
Stall recovery, or thermal ability was not up to par, so Stan took his rough sanding block to the wing.
He created a flat section approx 5% from LE which reduced the LE to nearly sharp status. 
The upsweep, aka "Phillips Entry", was already there & hence,maintained. 
That is the factual way an 'outside the box' free thinker GENIUS such as Stan does such developements.
So, without your having to emigrate to a country with mail delivery, Tony is your best bet. 
He has files with the coords of Stanfoil, and numerous modified similar sections which he & Brian Eggleston have created.
Tony's main FF event is F1B, but he has broad interest in airfoil development in general.

Leeper
-John-
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 10:31:23 PM »

Lee, was there any past articles on TLG airfoils in FFQ(Free Flight Quarterly)? ...as it is an international publication that the guys in the southern hemisphere could receive.

Pretty much the Stanfoil seems to be the gold standard for HLG's, TLG's, and Cat gliders.

...I've never found any actual wind tunnel data on the Stanfoil. Possibly some of the Drela airfoils have wind tunnel data.
F3KBlake
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 02:54:48 AM »

Is there someone out there in the tlg community that knows xflr and or what numbers to plugin? Even just a hint would be nice. Busy doing lots of reading to learn how to use xflr. As it progress we will incorporate a moulded wing reference and a bagged wing reference.
Im sure peeps out there would wanna bag some wings as well?

Blake
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 04:11:20 AM »

Dylan, have you contacted Tony yet? 
I know he has more than a nodding acquaintance with airfoil programs
such as you asked about.

Leeper
dosco
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 11:16:43 AM »

Blake:
Have you spent any time on RCGroups, particularly in the RCHLG subsection?

This thread, for example, might be a good place for you to start looking, asking questions, and discussing. Gerald Taylor has designed numerous airfoils that have been used extensively in RCHLG.

I do seem to recall someone asking Gerald about using the software tools on FFHLG type aircraft, and the resulting discussion went along the lines of "the RN is so low that there is a lot of inaccuracy." I suppose one way to address that would be to make larger FFHLGs ... ...

Cheers-
Dave

sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »

All, per USA FF rules, the wingspan is limited to 1 meter projected.
Some make them to max span, while other flyers prefer smaller
ones. Say, 24-26" span. Hand launched gliders are very much a
personal entity, especially FF, as many of you will know & agree.

Leeper
-John-
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 02:28:44 PM »

Is there someone out there in the tlg community that knows xflr and or what numbers to plugin? Even just a hint would be nice. Busy doing lots of reading to learn how to use xflr. As it progress we will incorporate a moulded wing reference and a bagged wing reference.
Im sure peeps out there would wanna bag some wings as well?

Blake
If memory serves me correctly, ptlove was using it some years ago to do runs on catapult gliders. I'm not sure if he is still active(?).
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »

Blake: as mentioned earlier in my post on June 5, Tony (aka Tmat) is who you should contact. Send him a personal message, please.

John: ptlove has been inactive for some time.

And if you search these TLG & CLG Hippockets subject articles, I know you will find drawings & commentary re Stanfoil wing section by various authors.
As I have said, it has been the standard of glider excellence since the 90s.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:57:41 PM by sweepettelee » Logged

Leeper
dylan1024
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 01:08:33 AM »

Hi everyone

thanks for the replies, i had contacted Tmat via facebook and I am sure he will add to this when he has time.
jim_buxton
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Fly more gliders!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »

Dylan, I hope Tony will post his background but here is what I know...

This airfoil stemmed from some collaborative work between Tony Matthews, and Brian Eggleston back around 2010.

Tony was doing some catapult glider research on airfoils, using the AG03 and the SS22 and Stanfoil as starting points.  Mark Drela was consulted in some of the research as well.  Tony's comments to me about the airfoil were:

"The StanfoilBEmod2 is Brian's version of a Stanfoil that he tweaked using x-foil for me and it tested out as well as the best airfoils he's tried to date. It's 6% thickness make it attractive for TLG at the root"

~Jim

~Jim Buxton
Columbus Ohio
Ratz
MAAC#26533
Administrator
Gold Member

Kudos: 88

Canada Canada

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »

Apologies for such a long delay getting to this.

Download the file: TernFree_Mouldie.zip

Ratz

We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: