Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 17, 2017, 04:37:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Holding stands  (Read 603 times)
kill-1
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:32:30 PM »

Hello anyone have or know of anyone that sells holding stands for penny planes or maybe have plans for building stands also any box plans ? thanks Huh
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:28:20 PM »

Tim Warren used to sell them.

I could also whip something up easily. A lot depends upon the base wood and finish.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

leop
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:03:16 PM »

It is quick and easy to build a simple one for yourself.  The picture shows the stand I use in my workshop.  It works for all of my indoor duration planes: F1D, F1L, F1M, LPP, ministick, and SO.  The base is a piece of one by four lumber (.75" by 3.5").  I have used a table saw to make this base a disk but a square will work fine and will not roll when on is side.  A 1/4" dowel, 12" long, is used for the riser.  The top is a piece wood 0.25" thick by 1.5" by 2".  I cut this top piece from a two by four on my table saw but you can use any quarter inch thick piece of wood, even balsa from the hobby or craft store.  Both the base and top piece have a 0.25" hole drilled in their center.  The dowel is glued into these holes.  The plane is held between two pieces of foam rubber, 0.75" thick by 1.5" by 2".  I glue the foam to the top piece with hot glue but anything that sticks to both the foam and wood will work.  The plane is held in the slot between the two foam pieces.  One can also just glue a 1.5" by 1.5" by 2" piece of foam to the top piece and cut a slot by hand (a hacksaw blade works well) or with a bandsaw.

This is a project that my Science Olympiad students have completed in less than 30 minutes from start to finish, included a great deal of horseplay and other instruction.

Cost:  less than a dollar
Worth: priceless

LeoP
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Holding stands
adanjo
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Japan Japan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 12:10:46 AM »

I prefer detachable base.
Aki
leop
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »

Hi Aki!

I, too, use take apart stands when I go to contests and practice.  However, I thought that a simple one piece (when glued) stand was a good first project.  I do like your use of the friction fit for the riser in the base.

As can be seen from the picture, I have attached threaded rod (10-24 US -  5mm metric) to the risers.  The wood riser is a 3/16" dowel and the coupling sleeve is just 7/32" aluminum tubing (K&S from the local hobby shop or hardware store).  The other riser is from a carbon (fiberglass can be used) arrow shaft (about 1/4" or 6mm-7mm metric diameter) with the threaded rod epoxied in.  The stand and top piece have 10-24 T nuts for the threaded sockets although one can just drill and tap 10-24 holes in the wood (tapped threads reinforced with a CA coating) as there is little stress on the threads for this application.

As mentioned earlier, many fliers use square or rectangular bases so that the stand can be laid down without rolling (protect the plane after removal) but I like the disk shaped bases.

LeoP

Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:59:54 AM »

Open it with one finger on the balsa tab.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
kill-1
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 01:16:06 PM »

Grin Great ideas Thanks guys . any ideas for a travel box for planes? looking for something light weight but will hold planes good. THANKS AGAIN this is a great site!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: